Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Post The Grammar Thread 1.0 - Common Mistakes We Make

Right, first off, this is my first thread. Next, I apologize if a duplicate exists.

I hope this won't offend anyone, as its intention is not condescension, but to inform those curious to learn. I am not one to scorn, laugh at or look down upon those who, for whatever reason, express themselves... differently - will do. This thread seeks simply to list the commonest slips and errors made by our beloved fellow gamers. I hope you find this post informative, perhaps so much as fun, and that it enlightens you, even if with regards to just a single word.

As the thread grows and people provide their responses, I will integrate valid suggestions into the opening post and thus expand the list.

Enjoy!

Rules

By popular demand, I've decided to add a very basic Rules section. By no means am I a grammarian, nor is this little experiment scarcely anything beyond a hobby, nor do I profess to possess flawless English, so I hope I don't miss the nail altogether.

Apostrophe '

In general, this lofty little fella is used for two reasons:

1) To imply possession or ownership

"Thrall's balls to the walls.'' which means the same as ''The balls of Thrall to the wall'' or ''Thrall - his balls to the wall''

"Grom's brother's uncle's cousin's nephew's great-grandfather's horse's saddle's pin broke."
    could be restated as "The pin of the horse of the great-grandfather of the nephew of the cousin of the uncle of the brother of Grom broke."

2) To shorten two words commonly used in succession by omitting or leaving out one or more letters.

''There's something King Varian's not telling you.'' which is like ''There is something King Varian is not telling you.''

"Could've done this; should've done that; might've gone here; must've been there." equates to "Could have done this; should have done that; might have gone here; must have been there."

Case

In German, all nouns are capitalized. In English, this is not the case. Proper nouns, which designate unique entities, however, are. This group includes all names, whether of places, people or objects which refer to these entities without any predefined description.

Common nouns, on the other hand, are the words that categorize proper nouns into easily identifiable groups.

Proper nouns: John, Paris, Nokia
    Common nouns: person, city, phone

The only other time you have to worry about capitalization in English is when writing out a title, most of whose constituents will customarily begin with an uppercase letter ('of', 'to', 'an', 'and' etc. are often exceptions to this rule).

The Indefinite Article

The English alphabet is divided into two distinct types of sounds: vowels and consonants.
    Vowels are sounds that are produced with an open vocal tract. The letters we use to denote them are: A E I O U
    Consonants, on the other hand, require for a closed tract to resound: B C D F G H J K L M N P Q R S T V W X (Y) Z

In English, the indefinite article has two forms whose manifestation depends on the initial of the following word.
    If the following word begins with a consonant, the article takes on the form a.
    If the following word begins with a vowel, the article takes on the form an.

Consonants: a beast, a cat, a donkey, a fox, a goat, a horse, a jackal, a swan, a tiger, a yak, a zebra
    Vowels: an asp, an eel, an impala, an oryx, an urchin

Grammatical Mistakes

it's =/= its [omission via apostrophe vs. personal pronoun 'its']

It's time to go [It is time to go]
    as opposed to Its time to go

Its fur is soft as opposed to It's fur is soft

to =/= too [infinitive vs. connector]

Do I really have to? as opposed to Do I really have too?

I can help you, too
    as opposed to I can help you to

things =/= thing's [pluralization error]

All things happen for a reason
    as opposed to All thing's happen for a reason

thinks =/= think's [third person - no apostrophe]

He thinks he's up to the task as opposed to[COLOR="Red"] He think's he's up to the task[/COL OR]

your =/= you're [possession vs. omission]

My, your gear looks impressive as opposed to My, you're gear looks impressive

You're [You are] a hero if ever I saw one as opposed to Your a hero if ever I saw one!

they're =/= there =/= their [omission vs. pronoun/adverb vs. possession]

They're [They are] the ones to blame as opposed to Their the ones to blame or There the ones to blame

There are 12 races to choose from as opposed to Their are 12 races to choose from or They're are 12 races to choose from

Their people have suffered as opposed to They're people have suffered as opposed to There people have suffered

we're =/= were =/= where [omission vs. past plural of 'be' vs. adverb]

We're [We are] locked in battle as opposed to Were locked in battle or Where locked in battle

The elves were first to use magic as opposed to The elves where first to use magic or The elves we're first to use magic

Where have you been? as opposed to We're have you been? or Were have you been?

it has =/= it have [singular-plural disagreement]

It has been a pleasure, gentlemen as opposed to It have been a pleasure, gentlemen

than =/= then [conjunction vs. adverb]

Thrall is wiser than Garrosh as opposed to Thrall is wiser then Garrosh

Then, I laughed heartily
    as opposed to Than, I laughed heartily

break =/= brake [word confusion]

Careful not to break that vase as opposed to Careful not to brake that vase

Brake your car to make it stop as opposed to Break your car to make it stop

loss =/= lose [noun mistaking]

Our team mourned the loss
    as opposed to Our team mourned the lose

failure =/= fail
    [noun mistaking]

This was considered a failure by the Alliance
    rather than This was considered a fail by the Alliance

affect =/= effect [verb vs. noun]

I hope this won't affect you negatively as opposed to I hope this won't effect you negatively

The effect your rule has had on our people is staggering as opposed to The affect your rule has had on our people is staggering

Phrase Mishaps

I couldn't care less =/= I could care less [opposite meaning]

I am agnostic - I couldn't care less about God as opposed to I am agnostic - I could care less about God

Mispronunciations

asterisk *

'asterisk' vs 'asteriks'

Spelling

a lot =/= alot

A lot has happened this year as opposed to Alot has happened this year

lag =/= lagg

Lag is the primary cause of gamer dissatisfaction as opposed to Lagg is the primary cause of gamer dissatisfaction

queue =/= que

I joined the queue as opposed to I joined the que

separate =/= seperate

Keep work and play separate as opposed to Keep work and play seperate

definitely =/= definately

The gnomes definitely have pizzazz as opposed to The gnomes definately have pizzazz

existence = / = existance

The purported existence of magic has vexed many a mortal man as opposed to The existance of magic has vexed many a mortal man

ridiculous =/= rediculous

The king looks ridiculous in his pink garb
    as opposed to The king looks rediculous in his pink garb

achievement =/= archivement

My, that's quite the achievement! as opposed to My, that's quite the archivement!

lose =/= loose

I get upset whenever I lose a duel =/= I get upset whenever I loose a duel

A warrior cannot do battle with loose greaves =/= A warrior cannot do battle with lose greaves

could have =/= could of

This meeting could have proven fatal as opposed to This meeting could of proven fatal

Warcraft-Related Slips

elves =/= elfs

Quel'thalas is inhabited by elves as opposed to Quel'thalas is inhabited by elfs

dwarves =/= dwarfs

The dwarves are a stout, hearty race as opposed to The dwarfs are a stout, hearty race

tauren =/= taurens

The peaceful, noble tauren dwell in Mulgore as opposed to The peaceful, noble taurens dwell in Mulgore

worgen =/= worgens

Worgen are able to change their form at will as opposed to Worgens are able to change their form at will

rogue =/= rouge

The rogue utilizes stealth to surprise his foes as opposed to The rouge utilizes stealth to surprise his foes

enhancement =/= enchantment

A shaman can specialize in enhancement to fight in melee
    as opposed to A shaman can specialize in enchantment to fight in melee

This weapon bears the 'Berserking' enchantment as opposed to [though acceptable] This weapon bears the 'Berserking' enhancement

Outland =/= Outlands

Step through the Dark Portal and into Outland as opposed to Step through the Dark Portal and into Outlands

Oculus =/= Occulus

The Oculus lies just above the Nexus
    as opposed to The Occulus lies just above the Nexus

Naxxramas =/= Naxramas

Naxxramas was featured twice in different versions of the game as opposed to Naxramas was featured twice in different versions of the game

meeting stone =/= summoning stone

Summon us! Use the meeting stone! as opposed to Summon us! Use the summoning stone!
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2011-07-10 at 11:23 AM.

There's a grammar debate thread 6 posts down from this one. (at the time of this writing)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...r-is-important.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

That's actually what inspired me to write this.

This one is more informative than argumentative.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've only actually stated the grammatical reasoning/rule for one of these examples. While examples are good, qualifications are even better. Also, dwarves/dwarfs are equally acceptable. See for instance Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yavannie View Post
    You've only actually stated the grammatical reasoning/rule for one of these examples. While examples are good, qualifications are even better.
    I included "[pluralization error]" next to "things =/= thing's" because of contextual ambiguity: "thing's" does have meaning, but in a different situation (where one aims to express the possession of a 'thing'). In contrast, "think's" has no ostensible meaning, thus requiring no explanation. I feel the other cases are unambiguous as well. I'll review the comparisons, regardless.

Also, dwarves/dwarfs are equally acceptable. See for instance Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
    In general, yes, but when discussing the world of Warcraft and its elements, racial and place names are given a singular, distinct spelling. Therefore, when speaking in this context, we talk about orcs, not orks; dwarves rather than dwarfs; and elves, as opposed to elfs.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2011-01-17 at 12:43 PM.

Their, there and they're.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    That's actually what inspired me to write this.

This one is more informative than argumentative.
    You really think this one is going to go in a different direction? Given the identical nature of the thread titles, the debate will ensue in the same fashion in this thread.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Steavz View Post
    You really think this one is going to go in a different direction? Given the identical nature of the thread titles, the debate will ensue in the same fashion in this thread.
    Well, as a precaution in light of this, I am doing my best to be neutral and withhold all contempt for the methods of others. The community is as it is, and we can do our part in helping out, but hatred seldom fosters positive change.

As much as I'd like to see correct English observed, all I can do is contribute what little I can, and hope.

Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    Well, as a precaution in light of this, I am doing my best to be neutral and withhold all contempt for the methods of others. The community is as it is, and we can do our part in helping out, but hatred seldom fosters positive change.

As much as I'd like to see correct English observed, all I can do is contribute what little I can, and hope.
    I commend that. You have to realize though, that your stance isn't neutral, you've already taken ground on the side of 'proper grammar' in the OP, as opposed to 'lulz, don't mattur m8, eng is for noobz'. I'd hardly refer to the debate in the other thread as 'hatred' oriented. People have opinions, those opinions differ, and turn into debates. There are compelling arguments from all sides in the other thread, all (ok, most) of which are valid. As you can see by the posts already made, this thread will be completely identical to the other one.

Next, I apologize if a duplicate exists.
    Should change that up a bit, because you knew one did.
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-17 at 01:45 PM.

You have to realize though, that your stance isn't neutral
    Neutral in the sense that I seek to inform, rather than to further a point. The sole purpose of this post is to show what is correct. Debating these examples would be fruitless, because they are facts, not claims.

Should change that up a bit, because you knew one did.
    The only similarity I see between your thread and mine is the subject matter. They fork when their intent becomes plain: yours is an argumentative thesis exemplified by its title, and mine is a list of common mistakes and their rectification.

Again, I put forth this list for purposes of aggregated reference, not dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Kudos Gamhacked, it's a nice thread!
    Thank you!

As I said, I commend your intent. I see very little difference in what the titles in both threads convey. My opinion still stands that this thread is (or will shortly become) a duplicate. My opinion is that you are just splitting hairs, as they say. My thread was about how silly poor spelling would sound if dictated, as you can see, it turned into a debate on the importance of proper grammar. This one is even more focused on that specific subject, so it will inevitably go that direction.

Anyway, I feel I've over done my point. Let me say again, I see where you are coming from, but you have to see where this is going.

Deleted
    As I said, I commend your intent. I see very little difference in what the titles in both threads convey. My opinion still stands that this thread is (or will shortly become) a duplicate. My opinion is that you are just splitting hairs, as they say. My thread was about how silly poor spelling would sound if dictated, as you can see, it turned into a debate on the importance of proper grammar. This one is even more focused on that specific subject, so it will inevitably go that direction.

Anyway, I feel I've over done my point. Let me say again, I see where you are coming from, but you have to see where this is going.
    The only difference being that your thread started off being condescending as hell?

Suggesting to add where, were. Also perhaps add a note about how dwarfs is valid as a verb.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2011-01-17 at 02:10 PM.

I like.

For chapter two, can we please cover "How to not make a wall of text" and "Take a breath - Full stops are there for a reason"

I hope both our threads at least partially succeed in their aims. Whether my hopes of informing and satiating an inquisitive mind or two devolve into a caustic polemic, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    I like.

For chapter two, can we please cover "How to not make a wall of text" and "Take a breath - Full stops are there for a reason"
    I'll see what I can throw together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Suggesting to add where, were. Also perhaps add a note about how dwarfs is valid as a verb.
    Good suggestions; I'm on it.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2011-01-17 at 02:13 PM.

I was going to say something about using "commonest" as opposed to "most common", but then I looked it up. You are correct sir. Good thread. People should learn and understand these differences. They are important, even when talking to the "I ain't no English teacher" person. Saying "Your dumb" when trying to insult someone, only makes you look dumb. Thank you for the thread.

One of the most common mistakes I see is "rediculous". I must see that once a week.

Good job writing this up; it's very annoying when people make all those mistakes consistently.

Also,
    rogue =/= rouge

The rogue utilizes stealth to surprise his foes as opposed to The rouge utilizes stealth to surprise his foes
    This one makes me want to stab somebody in the face... every time I see it. I've even heard someone once pronounce my class as "rouge". My zombie ninja is not a physical embodiment of the french word for red, damn it!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I could still think of plenty mistakes to go on that list.

Also, you should think about explaining when to use elf versus elves. Using elf in plural is bad enough, but elves in singular would make me stab people.

That elf sure is annoying.

Those elves sure are funny.