Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to make money with engineering ?

Hi I'm currently 510 engineering and I spent about 7k gold to get to 510, I would like to know how can I make that money back from engineering ? Please help

Deleted
    Your first mistake is spending gold on leveling the skill. You need to be a miner, or have a miner alt that can supply you - problem solved.
    Engineer has never been a profession to make money from, quite the reverse. But it is the best profession by far for gadget, tinkering, and surprisingly raid based DPS improvement.

If you want to make gold - then be a miner and herb gather (on one toon), you can look for both on the mini map now - and grind for 2 hours and makes 5k in high end sales.

There is one other thing that is Engineering related - you can make guns - and hunters love guns. - Make some 333 and 346 ones - but you will need to grind the materials to make it profitable

In my own experience, the market is over-saturated with engineering products. Many people, much like you, made tons of stuff while leveling the profession, and then dump it on the AH in order to make something back from it. The problem is that so many do it that prices tank and you end up paying more for raw materials than you can get by AHing the final product.

At the moment, I'm not sure there is ANY good way of making money from ENGI.

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm ENGI and would like to make some extra gold with it too.

Well I used most of my own mats from mining from 1-300 what killed me was the mats from 300-510 . I can't really go and get rid of engineering now that it's at 510 though >.< . well do you know where's a good place to farm ore ? I tried deepholem and it's just packed with people on my server I find one node every 20 mins

You cant make money with engineering, anything you make, someone else is already selling under material cost.
    The volatile air collector item helped a bit before but now even air prices are crashing.
    Shame the old mote collector is totally useless nowdays. During TBC and sometime on WotLK too it was ok moneymaker.

Remember, if you grind mats to make guns/bows whatever, you could probably make more gold by just selling the ores.

I can sell the orbs for bout 500-1k for the gun/bow thats 346 ..

In Dalaran, get your ability to create a pet. Gnomish and Goblin engineers can make different Cataclysm pets - each of which sell for about 1k on my server. Relatively easy to make too.

my engineer is my dk farmboy alt. i make money with him by farming lower levelled content till my bags are full, whipping out moll-e and jeeves to clear out and continue farming. sometimes i come across a locked door or chest that i use the (oldschool) explosive charges to open. it's long and slow but there's no competition and some of the stuff that drops sells on AH for surprising amounts. and no i can't think of any other legit way to make money other than what's already been mentioned

edit - helps that i have an enchanter too
    Last edited by bobo333; 2011-01-17 at 09:29 PM.
    somebody call for d doctor?

u make gold thru engineering by using the volatile air device and gathering. you also make gold by selling hunters their weapons or orbs or crafting fees. If you don't have a gathering profession with engineering - I'm just going to stop typing so I don't earn myself an infraction.

Seeing as you claim to have spent gold on engineering instead of farming the mats with mining I'm just going to forget I saw this thread without stating the obvious.

I make good money selling the Personal World Destroyer / De-Weaponized pets. They got for about 1.2-1.5k on my server. However I only sell about one a day, since only collectors buy them really.

Also on my server Goblin BBQs and cogwheels sell decently. You can get about 200-300g per wheel.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only money you'll make from engineering is engineer pets. Scopes flood pretty easily, and everything else you make requires engineering to use for the most part. It is not a money maker in any shape, way or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobgoon View Post
    Well I used most of my own mats from mining from 1-300 what killed me was the mats from 300-510 . I can't really go and get rid of engineering now that it's at 510 though >.< . well do you know where's a good place to farm ore ? I tried deepholem and it's just packed with people on my server I find one node every 20 mins
    Consider your ranks in Eng a sunk cost. The gold is gone, and there's nothing you can do to change it.

And then consider the opportunity cost of holding on to Eng. You could be making 1-5k per day with blacksmithing, tailoring, JC, etc., basically any other profession. You're giving up the opportunity for, say, 2K a day to hold onto Eng. Is it worth it to you? For me, no. I dropped Eng 525 and didn't look back. I mean, seriously, loot-a-rang and tackle boxes?

Hmmm just sell the guns. Theres better proffesions for cash though.

And if any one says....

"U CAN JUST SELLL CHOPPARS!!1!"

....I'm blowing up the forums.

---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmithking View Post
    I dropped Eng 525 and didn't look back. I mean, seriously, loot-a-rang and tackle boxes?
    Helllooooo? Googles. Rumored to last the entire Xpak. Hence the name "lightweight" and the Cogwheel slots.

minipets. made over 50k just with minipets this expansion

Deleted
    Well I make a lot off engineering by selling stuff TO engineers >

to make money AS engineer build those scopes for hunters and those pets you get in gnome ragaen.

but you know, engineer is more a hobby than a profession

Quote Originally Posted by Azabondiia View Post
    Your first mistake is spending gold on leveling the skill. You need to be a miner, or have a miner alt that can supply you - problem solved.
    I stopped reading there. When you gather something it is not "free", it has an opportunity cost. You could just as easily take that ore and sell it on AH which gives your time mining a gold/hour value. Purchasing mats to level a profession and gathering them yourself are one in the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyJoe View Post
    I stopped reading there. When you gather something it is not "free", it has an opportunity cost. You could just as easily take that ore and sell it on AH which gives your time mining a gold/hour value. Purchasing mats to level a profession and gathering them yourself are one in the same.
    No they are not. When you gather them yourself you get to decide what the mats are worth. When you buy them from the AH someone else is deciding what they are worth. If you want to spend less money to level Engineering them mining your own mats would be the way to go. You could maybe make some money with a few Chicken Splitters at 525 once you start running HCs for Chaos Orbs. Still a shame that we can't sell the goggles but I guess I like the fact that only Engineers can wear them. Engineering is a love/hate profession however. You may not make a ton of gold but it is a fun profession to have with all the little trinkets you can play with. Dimensional Ripper - Area 52<----Been using it since BC.

Engineering will NOT make you much profit. It's the biggest money sink profession. You do it for the perks.

10+ Year Old Account
    on my server, electrified ether goes for 100-120g on a good day. the elemental air it takes only sell for roughly 30g, again, on a good day. Its a small profit, but an easy and quick one. Eng has never been a huge money maker, but the high in demand parts it requires can make you a few bucks here and there.

15+ Year Old Account
    You really can't The gun mayyyyyybe. But still Eng os for Your enjoyment, all the fun gadgets, trinkets, spells etc. Its for you. so the gold sink it the down side to enjoying Eng.

Now BS that costs 4x more to lvl but will make you good gold.