10+ Year Old Account

How do you read?

Just for fun lets see.

When you read do you see just words on a page? Or are you like me and no longer see the words, it all blends into an image, a story in your mind, to the point you hardly notice that you are reading text.

So I ask you all, How do you Read?

10+ Year Old Account
    I scan picking up key words.

When it's something easy in my native language, or even English - yes, a whole phrase is like an image. When it's some technical text or manual about unknown topic, i have to carefully read every word.

Oh, and about thinking - after learning how to stop my inner dialogue I no longer think in words, only in images, or just enjoy total silence.
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2011-01-17 at 06:17 PM.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

I read everything and then process the words into an image if necessary.

I open my great maw and let the words pour in, and then sift through them and get all the good bits.

Like a whale shark and krill.

By uh... looking at the words and comprehending their meaning?
    Is there any other way? Do they dance around and sing to you?

I try to read like the above have mentioned, but add the fact that my two teenage girls are always walking about discussing their latest boyfriends while texting to their girlfriends about the latest trend in shoes, while my two cats meow like the house is on fire just because they want to go inside every closed door and will not wait for you to finish each line of the book. Or for that matter when my girlfriend is giving me the evil eye for not helping with dinner or cleaning up after dinner. I read one word at a time... sometimes over and over again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Penric View Post
    I try to read like the above have mentioned, but add the fact that my two teenage girls are always walking about discussing their latest boyfriends while texting to their girlfriends about the latest trend in shoes, while my two cats meow like the house is on fire just because they want to go inside every closed door and will not wait for you to finish each line of the book. Or for that matter when my girlfriend is giving me the evil eye for not helping with dinner or cleaning up after dinner. I read one word at a time... sometimes over and over again.

I feel so sorry for you....

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what I am reading. A good book? well, that's like watching a movie for me. Forum posts? Not so much...mostly due to the frequent use of leetspeek and the like. Granted, the quality of posts here seems to be a lot higher than on the official forums, but I still scan the posts for key words and content, rather than "real" reading.

Deleted
    Personally, good books I see as a image/film, thankfully

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by natrii View Post
    Just for fun lets see.

When you read do you see just words on a page? Or are you like me and no longer see the words, it all blends into an image, a story in your mind, to the point you hardly notice that you are reading text.

So I ask you all, How do you Read?
    Absolutely like this. I immediately see an image of the things/situations that the sentences I read are trying to convey.
    Thing is when I study for an exam, I find that I understand the subject matter better if the text has alot of metaphores in it, or when the text tries to put the theory it wants to convey into an example of how it would work in the world. Basically when the text tries to create an image of something in the readers mind.

That said, I know someone who, when he reads, only sees the words in his mind. Even stuff he sees, he memorizes not as images, but he kinda converts it all into words. So if he were to see a V shaped UFO in real life, he would not keep that memory of it in his head as a picture, but as a sentence that describes the properties of the UFO.