Building a new computer - tips for improvement

Hello all, I've purchased most of the parts for my new computer and would like some tips on optimization.

CPU: i5-2500k
    GPU: GTX 470
    MoBo: Asus p8p67 pro
    Ram: 8 gigs of ddr3 1600 (2x 4gig)
    PSU: 750w
    HDD: 1 TB
    Case: CM HAF 912

I should be able to leech some random optical drive from friends.

I have 2 questions:

I've heard lots of good things about SSD's, will it be worth it to invest in a 60gig one for WoW?

Should I look into a special cooling option for my CPU or will the boxed one be sufficient?

Also, I'm raid leader for my 10man group and basically want to run WoW in full ultra while FRAPS'ing. I'm sure this new computer will be able to handle that, but are there any settings I should watch out for to reduce choppiness or slowdown?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Crael; 2011-01-17 at 06:09 PM.

First of all, the BOX cooler should be sufficient. However, your CPU may get very hot if you're running everything on Ultra. I'd suggest testing it, checking the temperature (There's an app for that), and then considering buying another cooler.

SSD's are fast, and I think one would speed up WoW (Since WoW is run so much of the harddrive).

So, conclusion is : Buy an SSD, wait and check before you get cooler. If money is no issue, might as well get a better cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    It will be the first ground mount to carry more than 2 players. It will require at least one other worgen player to operate and can carry up to 2 non-worgen players.

I think it will be called [Harness]
    - On Worgen Mounts

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you can afford it, the HAF X case is bigger, has more space and all that just what I personally use If you have the cash, throw in a SSD to have your OS on, and some other files etc 60 gig will be a bit low if you want your OS on it, I personally use a 128gig one and I am very happy with it's performance

I use the P8P67 board myself(not pro) and since they use EFI BIOS, you have to make sure that you have a completely clean drive (no partitions etc) when you install your OS. I found this out the hard way when I tried just moving my SSD over from my old mobo.

I had to set my disk to be a GPT disk, not a MBR disk, then reinstall the OS Though I fucked up a bit, so I just completely cleaned the drive, and then installed my OS on it.

That was atleast what I encountered when making this

Also on the RAM, consider going 4x2GB instead, unless you plan on adding more later. If you plan to OC that thing, it is actually very easy, but I recommend that you get an aftermarket cooler And if you do, make sure your ram will fit next to it. I had to remove the heatsinks on my 2 vengeance sticks to make it all fit

I also use the GTX 470 and I am very pleased with it.

Also, take what I say with a grain of salt, I have just recently learned what I know about computers Got sparked early september last year when I was tired of my HP prebuilt crap Anyone feel free to correct me if something I said is wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

Ohh, and remember to get Windows 7.

Vista and XP are no-goes. Vista because it's bad, XP because it's not good at handling that RAM you got there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    It will be the first ground mount to carry more than 2 players. It will require at least one other worgen player to operate and can carry up to 2 non-worgen players.

I think it will be called [Harness]
    - On Worgen Mounts

SSD is really great for WoW since it loads so much textures and stuff during gameplay.
    And if you're like me and have several alts and AH char that you jump between the improvement in loading times are definately worth it.
    BUT! I would say that 60GB is not enough for Windows and WoW. (Win7 is roughly 20GB? and WoW about the same, pagefile and some programs will make that disk full instantly). 120GB is the better choice.
    Ofcourse you could install Windows on a s-ata drive and just use the SSD for WoW, but I think you will regret that if you do anything else besides WoW on the computer.

Just upgraded to an ssd myself, and the difference is very noticeable. You won't see an increase in your frame rate, but it'll reduce your load times by a lot. Applications launch almost instantly, and loading into wow is much quicker as well. So if that's worth the ~$150 then go for it. 60Gb would probably be enough, but you won't room for much else. After a fresh install, my Win7 is 14Gb and WoW is 23Gb.

Yes SSD 120gb, anything below would be a waste. But dont do it for wow alone, wow dont require a kickass HD. Your computer will be far above the standards of wow even without the SSD. But that said SSD is great especially for running win 7 and will speed up most processes considerably.

SSD would definitely be nice for WoW... Although I can't speak from personal experience since I have never used an SSD, I really hate logging in to Org and having to wait 20-30 seconds for the HDD light to settle down and load everything up (vendors, etc) and I HATE going around Org having to wait for the vendors and players to load up. It was never like that before, and it's really starting to annoy me. So, if I had a choice (and I don't since I only play on a laptop) I would definitely invest in a 60 or 80gb SSD.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely