Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So we got to Nefarian last night...

And I must say, Onyxia is one sexy beast, with her neck rotating a different direction from her head, and her stitches looking drop dead gorgeous.

But OT, anyone down this fight yet? We managed to hit P3 last night, but the add kiting was like a soft enrage, our tank couldn't handle it even with a frost mage, impossibly hard for our group to do at the moment, healers seem to be a little taxed as well due to the healing required in P2. Question is, do we need more gear? Currently, most of us are at 351 ilvl or higher, tanks are around 354.

people have done it on heroic you guys just suck

User was infracted for this. ~ Fuzzzie
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-01-18 at 05:55 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balo View Post
    Reported for flaming.

OT: Don't extent your lockout, there's nothing wrong with more practice at other bosses and at playing as a group. Plus the more you down the better off you'll be really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aljaser View Post
    That's not the stables. That's the smell of a hundred heroes of the Alliance who haven't washed their undergarments in 6 years.

Terrible troll.

Nef is a huge trial and error fight. Keep at it and you will find your group taking less and less raid damage in P1 and P2, making P3 much easier.
    ProTip: If someone offers you anything, look at their nipples. -Garots

There are some good videos out there and guides to check to help with execution
    This bro quit the game but still loves the game and will be back for MoP!

10+ Year Old Account
    Says the guy who probably hasn't even done any cataclysm raids.

OT: its a rough fight.. Keep up on the fight and you'll get it! You really shouldn't need more gear, obviously more gear will help but you shouldn't need more to down it. Just keep your head high and you'll get it.
    Signatures are overrated.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ignore the troll and stick to the OP please.

Quote Originally Posted by Larcissa View Post
    But OT, anyone down this fight yet? We managed to hit P3 last night, but the add kiting was like a soft enrage, our tank couldn't handle it even with a frost mage, impossibly hard for our group to do at the moment, healers seem to be a little taxed as well due to the healing required in P2. Question is, do we need more gear? Currently, most of us are at 351 ilvl or higher, tanks are around 354.
    Tank alone (with one healer on him) can "kite" adds in 3rd phase for 3-4 minutes maybe more. 3 minutes is enough to kill. Check my video from our first kill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUOBYZ2dNuQ maybe it helps
    Last edited by Rolandes; 2011-01-18 at 06:07 AM.

Balo, I think the point of the forums is to try and help people, not be a dick. If you don't have anything to contribute then you shouldn't say anything at all.

I'm sure it's just a co-ordination thing, your guy's gear sounds fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheers guys, thanks for the help and video! I think we need a lot more coordination and practice on the fight though, but we're definitely not extending the lockout, many of our raiders still need gear from the other bosses, and we can down all of the fights (except Nef) within 2 nights of raiding.

@Balo: I understand that other guilds have attempted heroic modes, and have cleared them, unfortunately my guild is not one of them, we all move at our own pace, although you may find that inferior, if you do, I apologize (:

grats

tankspot should have some videos for you

I'm really hoping the second poster's IP is banned for all eternity from anything but 4chan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    grats

tankspot should have some videos for you
    We've seen all the Tankspot videos, I guess it's just the execution of the kiting and a gear issue for the healers maybe?

My guild (Shai Hulud Duskwood) just got this boss down.
    We ended up using 3 tanks total.
    1 Bear
    2 Paladins

The bear tanked Onyxia,
    One paladin tanked Nefarian in Phase 1.
    I (the other paladin) tanked the adds in Phase 1 and made sure they stacked in a pile. (So they all spawn at the same time in Phase 3 with the first shadowflame barrage)

I really dislike how to avoid Onyxia's overcharge ability you get behind her.
    Our bear tank would tank her parallel to the side of the room and then turn her tail toward the raid to avoid the whopping 75k damage from hitting the raid.
    This is kinda annoying and odd as the mechanic does not "reward" the raid for doing it correctly.
    Onyxia's tail almost always whips the raid causing a knockdown and doing generous damage, though much less than if the raid was hit with the electrical discharge.

Tanks want to save cooldowns for every 10% of nef's health and for knockdowns in Phase 1.
    Having 2 paladin tanks was -fantastic- raid wall, 20% reduced aoe damage on the raid was just invaluable for ranged to dps Nefarian in Phase 2.

In phase 3, myself and the other paladin tanked 6 each of the adds and kited them together in the same path.
    The point of this is we were kiting the adds out of the fire as it was spawned by shadowflame barrage.
    Be ready for the adds to be reanimated, they drop all threat and will go towards the raid, pick them up fast.
    In phase 3, its imperative you keep the adds moving, slowing or stopping them is often a mistake. You don't want them to stand in fire ever ideally.
    You also want healers that can run with the tanks past the pillars. The tanks don't really have time to worry about LoS or anything like that.

Other than that, the raid has to avoid shadowflames on the ground and just dps their hearts out.
    Last edited by Tobley; 2011-01-18 at 06:55 AM.

Dont worry too much about the fight yet we Me and my guild killed it after like 30 wipes most of those due to add tanking in p3 needed alot of pratice. But what might help you is have the adds in p1 die at the same place, that way they will all be reanimatet at the same time in p3 and that way also die at the same time in p3. What i'm saying is that Nefarian aint a fight you can walk into and exept to kill it after a few tries it is a hard fight and it's suposed to be that way

What we did with the kiting was starting off bye pulling alll the adds all the way to the north. After the fire hits there we ran all the way to the south, Then to the oposite of were you are tanking nefarian. and last in the middle. From there on you can go north again and then start kiting around the fires. But this is what we figured out gave us the most room to handle the adds.
    We didint use any CC or anthing on them had a druid tank kite them and a holy pally (me) follow him around whit BoL on the MT using aoe stun when it was safe.

After the first few wipes were we got p1 and p2 under controll we bairly wiped in thoses phases at all but after we got the kiting in p3 undercontroll it went down pretty damn easy actualy.

Setup was:
    Druid tank (tanking adds and onyxia in p1)
    DK tank (Tanking nefarian from start to finish)
    Resto druid
    Holy priest
    Holy paladin
    Warlock
    Moonkin
    Frost DK
    enhancement shaman
    Hunter
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tarren+Mill&cn=Maricius
    "You learn most from playing against people that beat you"

Random note, but if you haven't cleared the other 11 bosses first, be sure to do that. That way everyone is as geared as possible.

Sorry to be a little off topic but what kind of HP do the tanks have that come to this fight against Nefariana and Onyxia? Just curious. Seems like one hell of a fight if you are to survive a 75k hit! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maricius View Post
    Dont worry too much about the fight yet we Me and my guild killed it after like 30 wipes most of those due to add tanking in p3 needed alot of pratice. But what might help you is have the adds in p1 die at the same place, that way they will all be reanimatet at the same time in p3 and that way also die at the same time in p3. What i'm saying is that Nefarian aint a fight you can walk into and exept to kill it after a few tries it is a hard fight and it's suposed to be that way

What we did with the kiting was starting off bye pulling alll the adds all the way to the north. After the fire hits there we ran all the way to the south, Then to the oposite of were you are tanking nefarian. and last in the middle. From there on you can go north again and then start kiting around the fires. But this is what we figured out gave us the most room to handle the adds.
    We didint use any CC or anthing on them had a druid tank kite them and a holy pally (me) follow him around whit BoL on the MT using aoe stun when it was safe.

After the first few wipes were we got p1 and p2 under controll we bairly wiped in thoses phases at all but after we got the kiting in p3 undercontroll it went down pretty damn easy actualy.

Setup was:
    Druid tank (tanking adds and onyxia in p1)
    DK tank (Tanking nefarian from start to finish)
    Resto druid
    Holy priest
    Holy paladin
    Warlock
    Moonkin
    Frost DK
    enhancement shaman
    Hunter
    Funny, our comp is EXACTLY the same, except we use a fury warrior instead of your hunter.

Anyway, do you know what tools your feral druid used to kite adds in P3? Did he go cat form a lot for running speed? How did he establish initial aggro on the pile in P3?

Our Tanks have around 170k buffed in 10 man, but HP aint all in this expansion
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tarren+Mill&cn=Maricius
    "You learn most from playing against people that beat you"

The point really is that the adds have to die. In order to achieve this, your add tank must be on the move whenever Nefarian shoots a new Shadowblaze towards the adds. So, it is all about timing. You can resolve this by using a boss mod with a working timer (I have been told that the BigWigs timer works well), or by having your tank take notes and move using an on-screen stop watch. The timing of the Shadowblaze casts is something along 30s 20s 10s 10s 10s...

most tanks with heroic gear and maybe 2 pieces epic gear have about 160k hp

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.