Another new person needs a new computer

Edit: Update!

First time custom build...here is my shopping list so far (thanks to those who posted below). Please let me know if I am missing anything.
    All items from newegg.ca I apologize for the lack of links but I can't on a new account.
    Checked NCIX.com...shipping is only $6 for the whole rig. I may switch all this if I can be sure I'm getting the right pieces (their site is a lot harder to navigate)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel P67

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)

GPU: MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    still unsure on the GPU, there seem to be a lot of variables

PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB

Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Optical: LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black

Accessories:
    Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM Being Shipped Seperately on newegg (presumably because it's in Canada and the other parts aren't)...$7 shipping on a $10 item
    Keyboard: TBD
    Monitor: Existing
    Mouse: Existing
    Speakers Existing
    Network Adapter: Need more Info....USB adapter or buy a card? See details below.

Subtotal: $943.91CAD
    Grand Total (Shipping+Taxes): $1095.01CAD

So!

I need a new computer, and I'd like you guys to do all the wonderful shopping for me.
    I'll be short and sweet, here's all the information you should need.
    Building it myself, never done it before but I want to take a shot.

• Games: Mainly WoW and Starcraft....maybe the odd other game, but no super fast FPSs or anything.
    • Budget: $800-$1000 CAD..... I hope
    • Vendor: Must ship to Canada
    • Preferences: I would like to run one of the new i5 2500k processors that I've heard so much about. I want to make sure I have motherboard etc compatable. But I'd also like to save money where I can. Hardcore GPU probably isn't necessary for my games. I'm on the fence with my peripherals, not sure if I want to upgrade. If I do I'm sure I can shop for those myself. Acer X223R 23" monitor probably needs upgrading...1680x1050 native resolution.
    • Please include prices for individual items.

I have looked at the posts on the main page about recemonded builds. I'd like to run the i5 2500k, but on a "Dolphin" build price.
    Last edited by Murlocalypse; 2011-01-20 at 07:32 AM.

Checked on newegg.ca and I got ya something really sweet for just under $900CAD. It is a bit more than the puppy price, but way less than the Dolphin, and performs equally as good in terms of performance. This should be perfect

Gigabyte P67A-UDA - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813128460
    Coolermaster HAF 912 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811119233
    Samsung F3 SpinPoint 1TB - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822152185
    EVGA GTX 460 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814130565
    Seasonic S12II Bronze 620w - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817151096
    G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB 1600mhz - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231427
    Intel i5-2500k - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819115072
    Coolermaster Hyper 212+ - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16835103065
    Lite-on optical drive - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16827106282

Grand Total: $883 CAD

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    Checked on newegg.ca and I got ya something really sweet for just under $900CAD. It is a bit more than the puppy price, but way less than the Dolphin, and performs equally as good in terms of performance. This should be perfect

Grand Total: $883 CAD
    Thanks a lot, now that I have a base to work from I have some questions:
    1. Harddrive: I know WesternDigital is the brand to be....is the samsung comparable?
    2. Similar question for the PSU...I've never heard of Seasonic and I understand the PSU is not the place to skimp
    3. Do I have to buy Thermal Paste, Mobo Standoffs etc seperately?
    4. Clarification on the case....are the fans included? Doesn't sound like it.
    5. Do I need a CPU cooler? I heard something about the 2500k being ok without it?
    6. Will they all physically fit in the case? Or is it all pretty standard nowadays?

Edit: After looking a little closer, it seems Mobo Standoffs are included, as well as 2 fans for the case. Other questions still outstanding.
    Last edited by Murlocalypse; 2011-01-19 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murlocalypse View Post
    1. Harddrive: I know WesternDigital is the brand to be....is the samsung comparable?
    2. Similar question for the PSU...I've never heard of Seasonic and I understand the PSU is not the place to skimp
    5. Do I need a CPU cooler? I heard something about the 2500k being ok without it?
    6. Will they all physically fit in the case? Or is it all pretty standard nowadays?
    1. Similiar or better, even.
    2. Corsair TX650 or HX650. IMO.
    3. Thermal Paste is recommended to buy separately.
    4. One 120mm and one 200mm included, afaik.
    5. If you're going to overclock, it's recommended. The 2500K handles it better with stock-cooler, who also isn't as bad as it used to be. However, it's not as good as most aftermarket.
    6. No worries.

Where in Canada do you live? Certain stores will ship very, very cheaply to certain cities.
    mostowizard is genius.
    -Posted by zaf on 23/12/10

Edit: After looking a little closer, it seems Mobo Standoffs are included, as well as 2 fans for the case. Other questions still outstanding.
    Seasonic is a major manufacturer and supplier of power supplies, they make some of the power supplies for other notable manufacturers such as Corsair and Antec. Seasonic has been in the server power supply market for many years and have only recently expanded into the consumer market several years ago. If I were to suggest a power supply a Seasonic would be my first choice as they create some of the best units on the market. For example, several of Corsair's AX power supplies are based on Seasonic's X line of PSU's.

If you can afford it, this mobo is very good for OC and has a lot of room for future upgrades.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-463-_-Product
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

Nickle:

Most components I have some degree of familiarity and can understand what would make one better vs. the other. However with mother boards I'm completely in the dark.

This also raises another question of mine about Overclocking. Other than heat generated and the obvious learning curve, are there other risks involved? Do you just keep raising clock speeds untill you find the max temp you're confortable with?

Mostowizard: BC, but not Vancouver, that's about as detailed as I'm willing to get.

Also, The GPU linked is out of stock. I'm planning on buying this fairly soon so can I get any 460? or is evga highly recommended? I also understand the amd 6850 is roughly equivalent...is there specific brands I should look for there aswell?

I'm currently having a very bad experience with my GPU. My first attempt to update my computer and I ended up with some very serious problems. Noob mistake of getting a terrible PSU, and a BFGTech OC card have combined to cause no end of problems. I'm sure that won't be an issue here.

Nickle:

Most components I have some degree of familiarity and can understand what would make one better vs. the other. However with mother boards I'm completely in the dark.

This also raises another question of mine about Overclocking. Other than heat generated and the obvious learning curve, are there other risks involved? Do you just keep raising clock speeds untill you find the max temp you're confortable with?
    As far as overclocking goes, before you attempt anything make sure you do some research. You can blow up a CPU chip and you can fry your system doing it wrong.

For the most part it is finding the balance, at least for the i5-2500k, between how much VCore to give the chip and how high your clocks are. The higher the VCore the more heat generated. At a certain point you either hit A) The wall were increasing your Vcore would fry the chip (beyond the max the chip can take) or B) Thermal wall where you simply can't raise the VCore any more because your at the max temp.

For most chips its B, but for the i5-2500k its A.

Still there is a lot more to it than that. Its pretty in depth and requires quite a bit of reading to full comprehend what's going on.
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz

Hmm, alright. Thanks for the info.

For finalizing my GPU, can anyone explain the difference between the different EVGA 460 cards? ( I can't post a link, but I checked newegg.ca and searched for evga 460)

I see some difference in Clock speeds and 768mb vs 1gb, but that seems to be an awful lot of cards that are all very similar for a lot of different prices.

With the EVGA cards there are some "super clocked" cards which just means that the core has been over clocked a bit. Something you can do your self with a little bit of research and time. (MSI Afterburner allows you to OC your card your self, far beyond what EVGA did on their "super clocked cards".)

The 768mb vs. 1gb is essentially how effectively it can handle larger resolutions. While the card may be capable of huge resolutions, it may not be able to use them very effectively. Unless you're going to be playing over 1920x1080 I wouldn't worry to much about it. WoW on ultra @ 1920x1080 uses like 580 mb's for my GTX 470. If you want to be safe go with the 1gb, but I doubt you'll use it for WoW.
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz

Ok, I think I'm probably limited by my monitor in that situation anyway. 1680x1050 native resolution. However I may buy I new one.

Sticking with your MSI comment, the MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP is currently on sale for $189CAD with cheaper shipping, and it seems to be the same thing.

(Again, sorry for no link...stupid new account)

I have one furthur unrelated question.
    I have seen no mention of network cards or any sort of internet connectability in any of the build posts on this forum. I am generally unable to use a wired connection (sucks I know) and I am not generally in charge of my modem/router (living in basement suites etc).

I am currently using a USB wireless adapter and I was wondering if I should stick with this, or if wireless network cards are worth it in desktops? Also, do I need to also by a network card in the eventuality that I do have access to a wired connection? Do Motherboards have this built in nowadays?
    Last edited by Murlocalypse; 2011-01-20 at 07:11 AM.