Deleted

Advise and tips needed please.

Good evening to you all.
    I have a Prot pally that i have mainly been lvling in PvP (CTA-Bgs) while doing some questting, I will have to say that this char is not my main as i roll a hunter.
    After hitting lvl 70, i started to tank dungons, an didnt have any problems in them. Now that im lvl 81, i want to start tankin dungons in cata, as well as solo old content/raids etc.
    Ive spent a few good hours today reading diffrent posts and threads on pallys, and what stats i should be using for tanking, but there seems to be alot of diffrent answers and so forth, depending on the gear the player. This is why i wanted to make this post now as i will be 85 in a few days from now, and just well, want to know what are the main stats i should mainly aim for. This is my char atm (Having to post his name, sever as i cant post links on mmo as of yet due to not making enought posts to do so)
    Char - Spectrasoul - EU Earthen Ring - Guild Fallen Angels.
    So far i have mainly stuck to Str/Stam/Block with alittle parry where ever i can, but now that i have mastery to play with im alittle confused (think ive seen way to many thread and made myself confused lol ) I was wondering if you lovely people would'nt mind pointting in me in the right direction please. Atm i use Prot for well everything, dungons/PvP/Quests hense why my talents are alitle off. I do want to carry on PvPing as Prot in pvp are just enjoyable full stop compared to my hunter lol but as stated, i want to beable to tank and solo old raids.
    So if you dont mind please could you take alook at my char, talents and gylths etc etc and give me a few pointers, get me going in the right way again please.
    Thank you for your help and time on this matter, again sorry for posting a similar thread to the others Enjoy the rest of your evening or day what ever the case maybe.

Here is a great thread from EJ on Prot:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110338-...3_2011_4_0_3a/

Main things you want to look at is having threat generation and pushing to the 102.4% combined total of block, dodge and parry to ensure your healers aren't going OOM while healing. The thread will also give you some tips on ability priorities so you can maximize your threat. As for specifically with your character you'll probably want to look at reforging to mastery as it an awesome stat for prot however I wouldn't worry about things too much until your 85 and starting to gear for heroics.

When leveling or what not just grab all the tanking gear. There is no need to stack certain stats right now until you hit 85. You said you were going with str.... stay away from that.. You do want stam and avoidance. There is a topic about not needing to stack stam but take it from me, (i raid every week) that the stam/avoidance gems work perfect. lol YOu cant block fire riiight?

If you want to see what build you might wanna try look me up. Starbux @ tortheldrin (SPelling) @us

I think the only thing I would mention (which is a problem I'm having myself) is that you need to balance parry/dodge... Personally my dodge is almost 2x my parry, causing a 5% discrepancy, but yes, just grab any tanking gear while leveling... an upgrade is an upgrade, and at times, a reforged DPS piece is even better.

Pro tip #1: Advice* is the noun you were looking for. Advise is a verb, and is the action of one giving advice to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogrutamaz View Post
    Pro tip #1: Advice* is the noun you were looking for. Advise is a verb, and is the action of one giving advice to another.
    Pro-tip #2: You must be pro to give pro-tips.

now now lets keep this on track

like previously stated you dont need to focus on str....that will come with gear. collect what tank gear you can or even possibly some "dps" gear.

i say that because certian pieces can have esp/hit/mastery on them. those are perfectly acceptable pieces for a tank, although imo you could afford to reforge the hit/exp to dodge/parry. alpha bracers from HoO are a perfect examlpe and a great piece of tank gear for the flexable reforging the slight hit gain and the gem slot.

vengance will get you all the ap youll need so str is a non-factor really (unless your that desperate for the slight parry gain). also start working on rep. hyjal is an excelent place to start as finishing the zone will put you only a few dugeon runs from getting exalted and getting the very nice cloak and even the plate "dps" belt (its a good tank item pre heroics or even raiding even with the crit on it due to the huge armor/stam/mastery youll get from it). just make sure you buy the tabards you need to reach exalted

look up gear, specs, and rotations for a prot pally. maxdps.com and elietestjerks.com are good places to check that i personally use....yes maxdps has tank gear rankings. although im not 100% sure about the lists for pallies and it can be misleading at times just make sure you input your information and use common sense.

DONT USE PVP GEAR! the stats are horrid for tanking as resil does NOTHING for pve and the stam is not even close to being weighted enough for the loss of precious secondary tank stats.