Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Is windows 7 worth the 119.99 bucks (+tax)

    Lately ive been feeling like im behind , for not switching to 7 already. But still the damn upgrade is 119 bucks and ive yet to find anything to justify the cost or the hassle of reinstalling WoW and everything else. Im currently running vista 64 bits , havent had any major issues so far.

    So what i want to know is :

    What will i gain from upgrading?

    Is it worth the 119?

    Also any advice/tips are welcomed.

  2. #2
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,850
    You'd get an improvement, but not enough to warrant the cost. IMO.

    Vista isn't as bad as it once was. Especially in the later service-packs.

  3. #3
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    bamberg, germany
    Posts
    263
    If it works, don't worry about it.

    Personally, I think W7 is much better there are a lot of nice features and improvements, but it wouldn't warrent the money IMHO unless you notice problems or are missing something.

  4. #4
    Why on earth would you wanna be running Vista when it's the worst thing Microsoft has released since Millenium? If you don't wanna pay for Windows 7, go back to XP!
    OT: Windows 7 is the best thing that has ever happened to PC's. It is by far the most stable, best performing and most user-friendly (not in the gay Vista way where you can't do anything yourself and everything must be done through some fucked-up wizard) operation system to date. It is worth every single penny unless you, like me, can get it for free through work or school.
    Buy it! It is 1000 times better than the shitty excuse for an OS that they call Vista.

    To quote Microsoft: Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been.

    Also: Install WoW on a secondary logical drive (like D:\ instead of C:\) and format your computer once in a while. No matter what you do to prevent it, your computer will keep getting slower. If you wanna get the most out of your computer, you should format and reinstall Windows every 2-3 months. And never ever install windows Vista again!
    Last edited by Ununoctium; 2011-01-20 at 08:33 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ununoctium View Post
    It is by far the most stable, best performing and most user-friendly operation system to date.
    You clearly then have no experience outside Microsoft products.

  6. #6
    Well as usual it's not nearly the miricle product microsoft wants you to believe it is, however, it asks me 'is this ok' like a million times less, so that alone is worth it to me...I also notice it loads to ready from boot faster, and recovers from any errors a little better, but I do have the proff version in 64bit.
    ready boost seems to function correctly, were as in vista I never was certain if it was doing anything for me.
    Other then that, samey-same

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ununoctium View Post
    and format your computer once in a while. No matter what you do to prevent it, your computer will keep getting slower. If you wanna get the most out of your computer, you should format and reinstall Windows every 2-3 months. And never ever install windows Vista again!
    Format every 2-3 months? What the hell are you doing with your computer, surfing some child porn websites all day long?

    There's no way in hell anyone should be able to fuck their computer up in 2-3 months bad enough to warrant a format and reinstall of Windows. I've never had to format my PC just because it was slowing down. You're doing it wrong if you have to.

    But on topic, if your Vista is working fine and your PC is running smooth enough for you, there's no reason to really pay 120 bucks for win7. There's nothing THAT spectacular about win7.

  8. #8
    Worth over 100? no. Get the student version currently 65 I believe. I won't link it here since everyone is afraid of links now-a-days but just Google "student edition windows 7" and it's the first on the list.

    at Mac users...ahahha you prolly have bootcamp installed.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    You clearly then have no experience outside Microsoft products.
    Why would you wanna say something that you have no clue about? I work with computers daily. I have plenty Linux/Ubuntu experience, and enough OS X experience, and Windows 7 performs better in every single program that I am using. sure, Ubuntu might be performing better in applications designed for Ubuntu, but I use MS programs, record music (through Cubase) and I play games, and no matter how you look at it, Windows 7 is a far superior operating system. And especially if you wanna play WoW!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ununoctium View Post
    Why would you wanna say something that you have no clue about? I work with computers daily. I have plenty Linux/Ubuntu experience, and enough OS X experience, and Windows 7 performs better in every single program that I am using. sure, Ubuntu might be performing better in applications designed for Ubuntu, but I use MS programs, record music (through Cubase) and I play games, and no matter how you look at it, Windows 7 is a far superior operating system. And especially if you wanna play WoW!
    Talking about stability. The performance side is fine, but there's still a lot of BSOD problems with certain hardware and drivers.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Format every 2-3 months? What the hell are you doing with your computer, surfing some child porn websites all day long?

    There's no way in hell anyone should be able to fuck their computer up in 2-3 months bad enough to warrant a format and reinstall of Windows. I've never had to format my PC just because it was slowing down. You're doing it wrong if you have to.

    But on topic, if your Vista is working fine and your PC is running smooth enough for you, there's no reason to really pay 120 bucks for win7. There's nothing THAT spectacular about win7.
    Every single time you even plug in your computer to the internet, you get attacked by miniature spyware and virus applications. Sure, your antivirus will be able to cope with most of it, but not all. And after a while your computer will noticably be slowed. I'm not saying that the average user will notice anything because they probably don't know how a computer is supposed to act. But it it takes more than a minute from pressing the power button 'till WoW is fully loaded, and my char is logged in, it's time for a format C:. Normally when I see the Windows logo, it takes 10 seconds until Windows is fully loaded. After 3 months it might take 30.
    So don't tell me that I'm doing it wrong - you're just not noticing the difference because you got used to it.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-20 at 09:50 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Talking about stability. The performance side is fine, but there's still a lot of BSOD problems with certain hardware and drivers.
    You will never get BSOD unless you use outdated hardware. So my brilliant solution to you is: Don't!

  12. #12
    Outdated? Like geforce 580GTX + newest possible integrated audio chipset still producing occasionally good old 0x000124 (or something). Didn't realise that's outdated hardware

    Okay, you got me. My windows 7 boot up took 18 seconds after installation. After almost a year it took 19 seconds. Full of garbage I tell you.

  13. #13
    I am very biased in regardes to Microsoft. Ive earned my MICTP and i am working on my MCSE right now. MS software is very user-friendly. I think that speaks for itself. Win 7 64 bit was worth the money in the beginning due to the lack of malware that could actively exploit this particular platform. As of right now, Win 7 cannot tout the same standars. It seems like every flavor of malware has been patched over in accordance with Win 7 64 bit clients. But lets face it, security =/= ease of use.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ununoctium View Post
    OT: Windows 7 is the best thing that has ever happened to PC's. It is by far the most stable, best performing and most user-friendly (not in the gay Vista way where you can't do anything yourself and everything must be done through some fucked-up wizard) operation system to date. !
    Now im sorry.. You might be working with computer daily, and you might hate vista..

    But i'm running vista 32 bit and i have NEVER had ANY problems.. Admittedly im not running wow as good as i used to, but thats my own fault for 1. Not upgrading my hardware, and 2. Not de-fragmentating / formatting my computer when i probably should.

    True, true. Vista WAS very un-friendly at start, but when you learned to know it, it wasn't all that bad. I havn't tried out W7 yet. But i have a couple of friends who got it (Some pirated, some legally) and it looks good. I must admit. However, if i were to spend $119 or whatever on W7, or keep my vista and use the money for something else. I'd probably keep my vista..

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Talking about stability. The performance side is fine, but there's still a lot of BSOD problems with certain hardware and drivers.
    Right, but other OS's don't support those types of hardware at all unless you plan on making your own driver. It's kinda of funny you'd mention that, since drivers are mostly written with Windows in mind, OSX is an afterthought, *nix is coded by some guy in his basement. Hell, OSX doesn't even support the new directX stuff ( like it or not, it's the 3d standard) , OSX also doesn't support the top of the line cards.

    Now OT, yes, it's worth it. The boot time alone is honestly 200% faster and it's definitely a more streamlined OS, very good performance. First thing in almost 10 years to finally beat XP.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-20 at 09:03 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizie View Post
    Now im sorry.. You might be working with computer daily, and you might hate vista..

    But i'm running vista 32 bit and i have NEVER had ANY problems.. Admittedly im not running wow as good as i used to, but thats my own fault for 1. Not upgrading my hardware, and 2. Not de-fragmentating / formatting my computer when i probably should.

    True, true. Vista WAS very un-friendly at start, but when you learned to know it, it wasn't all that bad. I havn't tried out W7 yet. But i have a couple of friends who got it (Some pirated, some legally) and it looks good. I must admit. However, if i were to spend $119 or whatever on W7, or keep my vista and use the money for something else. I'd probably keep my vista..
    I have a Vista machine too, I upgraded my laptop to 7, and even with inferior hardware it out-performs my vista desktop on simple ui stuff and boot time. You really don't know how much it actually gets better, till you do it.

  16. #16
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere you can't get to.
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by LGalucard View Post
    Lately ive been feeling like im behind , for not switching to 7 already. But still the damn upgrade is 119 bucks and ive yet to find anything to justify the cost or the hassle of reinstalling WoW and everything else. Im currently running vista 64 bits , havent had any major issues so far.

    So what i want to know is :

    What will i gain from upgrading?

    Is it worth the 119?

    Also any advice/tips are welcomed.
    Yes, it's worth it. Disregard any idiot saying otherwise.

    And you don't have to re-install WoW at all. Just copy the whole WoW directory to your other computer or even better, next time when formatting, separate system/windows partition from the partition for your crap, downloads, porn and games. I still have the same installation of WoW that I installed in 2005. Only added thing is expansions installed over the original installation. Works perfectly.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-20 at 10:09 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Using parallels And there are other ways to get win7 without paying... Feel free to pm me.
    You should be banned from the forums for even suggesting the use of non-legal operating systems. What's next? Advertising private WoW servers?

  17. #17
    Well , there is no way i will come up with the patience, desire or excuse to format my system every 3 months. Ive had no had any performance issues with vista (at least not that i can notice).

    I dont really care for the new shiny graphics and more gimmicky interface.

    What i want to know is : Is there a noticeable improvement to getting windows 7 in what regards gaming ( beyond the obvious dx11) ?

    Also is there any difference between the student version, home premium and ultimate version?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
    Right, but other OS's don't support those types of hardware at all unless you plan on making your own driver. It's kinda of funny you'd mention that, since drivers are mostly written with Windows in mind, OSX is an afterthought, *nix is coded by some guy in his basement. Hell, OSX doesn't even support the new directX stuff ( like it or not, it's the 3d standard) , OSX also doesn't support the top of the line cards.

    Now OT, yes, it's worth it. The boot time alone is honestly 200% faster and it's definitely a more streamlined OS, very good performance. First thing in almost 10 years to finally beat XP.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-20 at 09:03 AM ----------



    I have a Vista machine too, I upgraded my laptop to 7, and even with inferior hardware it out-performs my vista desktop on simple ui stuff and boot time. You really don't know how much it actually gets better, till you do it.
    True. But if the choice is between me paying 119€ or whatever for it or keeping my vista a bit longer and trying to get a ''Free'' version of Win7, then i'd probably still keep the money:P

  19. #19
    Scarab Lord Robinhoodexe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    4,188
    You should be banned from the forums for even suggesting the use of non-legal operating systems. What's next? Advertising private WoW servers?
    How about using a friends disc? You have 3 licenses or something?

    A while since I checked
    Congratulations on graduating to expert level trolling, I would stick around but I'm busy getting gay married in 13 states and performing roadside abortions while passing bills that take away people's guns while i sip superior european wine and cheese i bought with european style socialist money, arrivaderci!

  20. #20
    I can see this getting out of hand, You can discuss things, but do not even hint at pirated software.
    Kami - Guild Wars 2 Elementalist - Desolation EU
    <Obey Gaming> - https://obeygaming.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •