Deleted

Question Arcane Mage struggling with Fire

. . ..
    Last edited by mmoc896a88653f; 2013-11-08 at 04:35 AM.

Alright dude. For groups fire is usually the top dps. What you do is drop lb on one target, scorch him until proccing pyroblast!, then with critical mass, ignite, and lb up, hit combustion and immediately hit your impact proc. If you need to force an impact proc, usually your fire aoe spells make it proc. This spreads all that combustion damage with all those dots to every member of the group. It usually ticks for 10-125 per second on each. It's not uncommon to do 40k dps on a group of 4-5 this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    On adds with such tiny HP pools, don't bother trying to ramp up DoTs on a single target and fishing for an Impact proc. Just LBX3, drop a BW/FS on the group and either spam FS or pop some Scorches off in hopes of a quick HS proc that you can spread with Impact. On the larger groups, the above advice is sound, although I must admit I very rarely use Combustion on trash packs.

I don't see how it's possible that you could do less dps on aoe packs with Fire than Arcane when Arcane has probably some of the worst aoe of any class/spec.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

That's fine for heroics, but on raid encounters like Conclave and Maloriak you're going to want to max it with combustion impacts. Use it whenever it's off cd and you can make it effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskin View Post
    Before I can even cast LB->FO->Scorch they're already dead and I'm left helplessly trying to target the next one to do exactly the same thing, which needless to say is nearly dead too by this point
    This sounds like Heroics to me, you are going to find that fire has a ramp up time, in heroics any class that has no ramp up time is going to burst the mob(s) down before you can do anything to them. In this situation just focus on the boss and the rotation on said boss, no one is going to judge you on how well you do on trash.

next is your gear. You will find a HUGE jump in damage once you start to get some epics, as those crit and haste stats will start getting to levels needed to make fire FUN!

Other than that smart use of combustion, and manage mana so you have enough for a full fireball spam from 35% boss HP onwards (ie weave in just enough scorches to keep up debuff and required mana, fireball to burn off excess mana)
    also if possible save clearcasting procs for LB not always possible but seeing as LB uses more mana than anything you can use that saved mana for more FB spam.

All i can say is keep at it. The gap between fire, arc and frost widens as gear increases, and then pray for blizz to fix ignite munching.
    Last edited by pyrostorm9001; 2011-01-21 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    The gap between fire, arc and frost widens as gear increases, and then pray for blizz to fix ignite munching.
    Fixing Ignite Munching will just make fire skyrockets compared to arc and frost :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Deleted
    For grps normaly i'd start with a lb then balstwave/flamestrike to prc impact the spread lb and single target kill rest. (only in hc, in a raid normay get up combustion too)

Also i was looking at your gear and some of the sats on it could be better you have reforged crit to hit and left mastery on the gear currently master is not a very good stat for a fire mage main stats prioritys are

Int>Hit(cap)>Crit>Haste(12.54%)>Mastery

Now for haste you only need to get to 4.1% (516 rating) because you can get 3% from NP and most of the time you will have a shammy or a shadow priest or a fury warrior (in a raid) giving the other 5% to get you to 12.5% wich is the point where living bomb gains an extra tick any more haste is a waste (well not a waste but you will not see a big benifit from it until next tick which is currently unatainable in current gear) so i would look at reforging your mastery to crit or haste crit first and haste to 7.5% including netherwind presence.

(dont quote me on the numbers as not perfect but close enough)

Here is a link to my armory check out my reforging and you may understand what i mean
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...althire/simple

Hope some of it helps
    Althire
    Last edited by mmocd08496081e; 2011-01-21 at 09:44 AM. Reason: add armoury

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I start with pre casting MI, LB>Flame Orb>Scorch as I'm moving into place, and then start the FB spam. Refreshing LB as needed, casting PB on HS procs, and that's pretty much it. Just pray to the WoW gods that your RNG loves you. As for Combustion I have Mik's Scrolling Battle Text, and the crit damage numbers stand out from the non crit damage, and wait for a 30K+ Pyroblast. CombustionHelper is my favorite addon of all time (:

Since it seems you are heroic farming at the moment, 1 point in Arcane Concentration is not worth it, put it so you get 2/2 in Pyromaniac.
    "Fire is a hazard,’ says the coward. ‘Fire is a tool,’ says the fool. I say fire is a weapon, a friend, a state of mind, and that the bold man and the craven burn just as fast."