Thread: Prot weapon

Prot weapon

Excuse my noob, but when looking for a good prot weapon, is it better for them to be quick or slow? does it even matter?

if it has str, use it, idc what it is. preferably the one from maloriak with parry, but it isint necessary, and epic str main hand will do

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartaur View Post
    Excuse my noob, but when looking for a good prot weapon, is it better for them to be quick or slow? does it even matter?
    Quick or slow are mute points because all warrior weapons, whether tank or DPS are slow weapons. Fast weapons go to other classes, like rogues. When looking for a prot weapon, you will want to make sure first and foremost that it is a Str & Sta weapon. You can use an Agi weapon in a pinch, if you come up with one that nobody else in the group needs, assuming you can reforge the stats and actually make it work for you. Beyond that, look for tanking stats; parry, dodge, mastery. Some single-handed weapons like Soul Blade work for both DPS and Tanks.

Deleted
    Without any theorycrafting behind me I'll boldly state that you should be getting a slow weapon when you have the choice between fast and slow. Slow weapons has higher dmg and gives you higher Devastate hits and crits and (if specced into it) higher Deep Wound ticks. Back with the old Heroic Strike a fast weapon was advised for more HS spam, but that isn't possible anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Andsom View Post
    Without any theorycrafting behind me I'll boldly state that you should be getting a slow weapon when you have the choice between fast and slow. Slow weapons has higher dmg and gives you higher Devastate hits and crits and (if specced into it) higher Deep Wound ticks. Back with the old Heroic Strike a fast weapon was advised for more HS spam, but that isn't possible anymore.
    I was looking for an answer like this . Of course upgrades are upgrades. If i had a slow mainhand iLvl 333 and a fast mainhand iLvl346 dropped, I will take it regardless of speed. My question was more about if faced with two mainhands with similar stats, one is 2.6 speed, the other is 1.6 speed, which to I get? The quoted answer makes sense to me.

Slow weapons are the norm now. Though you'll struggle to find any fast strength weapons nowadays in any case.

You'll get bigger Devastate (and Revenge?) hits, which means more threat. Which is always awesome. Not to mention more dps, since tanks can now do decent damage now with Vengeance buffs.

Ya bigger your mace, teh bigger r your numbers spreading around your char. Everybody like trolls and big numbers

If you can find something with speed 2.5 ish with some decent damage and str/stam Id go for that. The damage some of your revenge and devastate hits are pretty nice, which helps the raid dps and also with aggro.

Id agree the soul blade is rather nice, and was definetly a large upgrade from some Heroic mace I using previously.
    The mastery is a win and if your hit isnt bad you could always reforge some of it into, say parry or something if needed.

We had our 2nd one drop in BoT last night, so they shouldnt be too hard to come by, check the AH if your feeling flush with money you might be able to pick one up there. Then again Id guess people IF they do sell them sell them for quite a lot, I think we sold the one last night for 20k for the guild bank >_<

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...loten/advanced

Why does it always show a really old dps image with gear I dont even have anymore! Silly armory

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveros View Post
    if it has str, use it, idc what it is. preferably the one from maloriak with parry, but it isint necessary, and epic str main hand will do
    Think the mace he means is this http://www.wowhead.com/item=65036/mace-of-acrid-death
    Last edited by Kallidus; 2011-01-21 at 11:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    a) there are no fast str 1h weapons.
    b) the best weapon with pure defensive stats (and frankly, the only one), is elementium fang from stonecore hc endboss.
    c) the best weapon with pure defensive stats from raid content is the the mace of acrid death from maloriak in blackwing descent. both HC and nonHC
    d) yes, soul blade is not a bad weapon, if you see it in the AH or you are lucky with Bastion Trash drops.
    e) no, it is not better than elementium fang, even being a 359 epic over a 346 blue.
    f) any 1h str weapon which does not have CRIT or HASTE at all on it and does not have HIT/EXP as combination is a decent tanking weapon.

Deleted
    By the way, since I'm not having any luck with dropping the Mace of Acrid Death and even though I'm running Elementium Fang I'm quite sick of it. Passed a Soul Blade a while ago and a 2nd one doesn't seem to want to drop now :x So I was considering Fang of Twilight from Valiona/Theralion. Anyone wanna convince me why that's a bad idea, since it's starting to look really good right now : / ?

Someone in my guild uses it at the moment, obviosly a defensive stat rather than crit wuold be safer but if its an upgrade and you can get it they why not

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhakera View Post
    By the way, since I'm not having any luck with dropping the Mace of Acrid Death and even though I'm running Elementium Fang I'm quite sick of it. Passed a Soul Blade a while ago and a 2nd one doesn't seem to want to drop now :x So I was considering Fang of Twilight from Valiona/Theralion. Anyone wanna convince me why that's a bad idea, since it's starting to look really good right now : / ?
    Tbh, it isn't as bad as some people would probably have it. Yes, if you want to be politically correct, it isn't even a warrior weapon, much less a tanking weapon but it is a good alternative while waiting for something better. Just consider it; it has stamina and mastery, in numbers equal to a normal tanking weapon. Agility actually provides avoidance, not a lot but still better than nothing and you can reforge some of that Crit to parry or dodge. So no, it isn't an optimal choice like MoAB, but it isn't too bad either.

Deleted
    Thanks for the confirmation Dannyl, with some luck I'll pick it up this week since nobody will even offspec roll on that, so I'm gonna give it a nice, enchanted home =]

15+ Year Old Account
    do you consider 25 stam and 11 mastery being better than 86 parry?
    if yes, then pick soul blade. but it would be dumb.
    just because there are 7 lines of gains vs 1 line of gain doesn make the weapon better.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhakera View Post
    I used it until the mace dropped. TPS increase, a small amout of dodge from the agil, once reforced it's not too bad at all until you can get the mace.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    there no longer are slow or fast 1H weps anymore besides daggers look it up its true! but as for epic tanking weps I would go with the one off of Maloriak I have it and its a good wep and if you dont have access to raid content yet you can try and get the tank axe out of Heroic Dead Mines

you must mean Smite's Reaver from Deadmines, thats nice, i use it, Mastery and hit, which i have reforged.

Don't forget racials. Most races have a 3 ExP depending on the type of weapon you are using. So if you are a human go for a sword/mace over an axe. If your an orc you do the opposite. Gnomes get 3 exp from swords. etc, etc.