Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moolife View Post
    I think the word you are looking for is:

busy
    –adjective
    not at leisure; otherwise engaged

I think you are not understanding the word bad, as it's in no way related to the word casual:

bad
    –adjective
    not good in any manner or degree.
    Busy has nothing to do with it, you can be busy and fit in organized time to play wow, or you can be busy and fit in wow around everything else

And several of the people this thread would deem 'casual' could easily be described as bad, not that I'm saying casual=bad because it doesn't, it just encompases most bad players as well as some good players

Deleted
    Terrible players are terrible and should naturally not do heroics because well, they're too terrible to finish them at current gear levels
    Casual players who just don't have time to play that much should do heroics unless they're terrible, provided they can get a group that can run one fast enough ;(

I'm now a "casual" player because of work / life commitments since Cataclysm came out. Prior too that, I cleared every single boss since Vanilla release, at the time of its release, most of the time prior too any nerfs (except LK, I can't remember which % buff we had). I now only do heroics, farm non raid achievements and BH once a week for items that never drop anyway. Am I a bad player? I think not.

I think it's a very loose term "casual" and can mean so much. I think the better definition or contrast is "bad" players. In TBC during SWP the guild which I was an officer for suffered some losses too people leaving the game due too wipe emo, we did some hard recuirtment and 3 of the players we took in had only raided in pugs for Karazhan or Gruul's lair, they turned out too be some of our best raiders at the time Kil'Jaeden died.

WotlK did a lot of bad things for the game, but then again it also highlighted those that get carried & those that carry much more significantly.

I don't see why casuals couldn't, i don't even have my time card in anymore but i hit 85 crafted some items and healed heroics a couple days into 85 no problem, just did a couple and quit again don't see why casuals shouldn't do them if they are fun.
    Resto Druids, the best health care system

HEROIC
    –adjective
    1. Also, he·ro·i·cal. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a hero or heroine.

What part of being CASUAL implies you are a hero? Cuz most likely you're not, sorry you cannot spend enough time playing WoW to fit in amongst the Hero's of this game who are capable of doing heroics extremely easily, as in aoe'ing the shit out of damn near everything at this point.

NORMAL
    -adjective
    1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

Casual player's deserve to do NORMAL instances, and receive common types of gear and not abnormal (aka heroic loot).

Most of the people who play this game are "NORMAL" AKA "CASUAL" AKA NOT "HERO" status which means they simply don't belong in heroics.

Im a casual player who has played since vanilla. I class myself as casual because I retain real life over the game. Yes I go shopping, work and household things instead of playing/raiding every 5 minutes of my spare time.

Sorry to dissapoint you "Hardcore heros" but I can still perform at or above the average player (4 alt dps'ers pulling 7-8k + outside of the ICC buff single target and my lock running 14k on fights like Saurfang with the buff). I find cata heroics easy and sadly at a lower difficulty than I remember BC heroics at during the start of the expansion. You people obviously dont understand that casual amounts to player play time and priorities, not to skill level. Heroic dungeons are meant for everyone to play and improve gearing and skills for raiding same as it has been for 3 expansions now. Heroic raids/hard modes are meant for a further challenge once you have beaten current content.

---------- Post added 2011-01-22 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smuki View Post
    HEROIC
    –adjective
    1. Also, he·ro·i·cal. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a hero or heroine.

What part of being CASUAL implies you are a hero? Cuz most likely you're not, sorry you cannot spend enough time playing WoW to fit in amongst the Hero's of this game who are capable of doing heroics extremely easily, as in aoe'ing the shit out of damn near everything at this point.

NORMAL
    -adjective
    1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

Casual player's deserve to do NORMAL instances, and receive common types of gear and not abnormal (aka heroic loot).

Most of the people who play this game are "NORMAL" AKA "CASUAL" AKA NOT "HERO" status which means they simply don't belong in heroics.
    Your avatar is referred to as a hero in game?
    What part of hardcore player refers to you as a heroic person? Heroic does not mean "I play 8 hours per day, 7 days a week".

people need to quit associating the word "casual" with poor players. 99% of us on these damn forums are "casuals." I have a day job a don't raid 40 hours a week like paragon and other progression guilds. I'm willing to bet most of you bashing on "casuals" dont even put in half the time that real hardcore raiders do. You're just as casual as the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    The complaint comes down to this . Many many people started playing this game during wotlk and even those who did not got used to the play style of wotlk . So that expansion was easy mode and basically a loot festival . So now Blizzards decides ..." Ohh wait we don't like that " ! The funny thing is the designers who MADE wotlk are the same ones who had this fundamental philosophy change its almost like BI -POLAR in its extreme .

So now all the casuals and by casual that is pretty much anybody who does not to commit to a raiding schedule like the game is there second JOB you can dance around that all you like but thats how someone with common sense would classify a casual in WOW . These folks got used to being able to have some actual progression on there toon with heroics and and the being able to buy tier gear by doing heroics . Suddenly you have MILLIONS and yes there are VASTLY more casual players then hardcore that cannot progress like they did in WOTLK and so you are suprised when you see people complaining ?? get real man ...

Blizzards philosophy went from " we are going to make the content accessible to many different skill level players and not just hardcore raiders who spend all there free time in this game " to " we are going to make things hard and NO not everyone is going to see all the content " ....that is the frustration a lot of people have . Many people have many toons I myself have 2 85's and 7 more level 80's whom in WOTLK I was able to gear them all up pretty well ...but HELL no im not spending every waking hour in CATA farming heroics especially not with 45+ min q times .
    This pretty much says it all. WotLK was all about accessibility. Cataclysm is not. Elite Peon's definition of casual might not be the same as your own, OP, but whatever you want to call it his version is what the majority of WoW players are (myself included). I want to progress in 10 man raids with my RP guild full of friends and pretty skilled players. We can't do that however, despite our skill, due to the limitations of Cataclysm.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

10+ Year Old Account
    why do people always compare casuals as being bad? /sigh

10+ Year Old Account
    casual = people that can raid and still manage to fulfil having a life, but get bitched at cause there casual
    hardcore = people that are usually overweight with a soda addication that rage at a computer screen, that dont fit into today's society, and use the terms vanilla and twink, and think bc was the bees knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntler View Post
    This is exactly the sort of thing that gets me. I just did a search for gear available in quests added by Cataclysm, specifically mail with agility on it. Questing gear should EASILY bring you above 310. Not even finishing off quests and blasting through levels I was able to be at 325 using only questing gear... and I didn't finish any zones to get the 333 stuff. The only reason you can possibly be that low is that you're holding on to bad gear for tier bonuses that are not good enough to make up for approximately one thousand points in Agility and Stamina.

Either that or you didn't bother to quest--something you should consider doing while waiting for your queues. You have the time.
    mhm, I got 329+ on 2 of my chars without even setting foot in a cata dungeon..
    It's not that hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure as long as they have the gear and the time for 1 why not?

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    casual = people that can raid and still manage to fulfil having a life, but get bitched at cause there casual
    hardcore = people that are usually overweight with a soda addication that rage at a computer screen, that dont fit into today's society, and use the terms vanilla and twink, and think bc was the bees knees.
    ^this.

I was hardcore before cata dropped, I have zero problem with the difficulty, but they nerfed my main so badly, he's only worth tanking with. People, despite the fact that the nerf of ret is pretty ,much common knowledge, call rets bad, and kick them from group whenever possible. Casual = Has Life.

sigh

Gotta be careful here because MMO-Champ likes to ban people who don't agree with their views but here goes.....Casuals = bad end of story!!
    If you qq about difficulty in this game then you need to just uninstall the game now and go play something easy. I love the way wow is right now <3

Quote Originally Posted by gamgee76 View Post
    Gotta be careful here because MMO-Champ likes to ban people who don't agree with their views but here goes.....Casuals = bad end of story!!
    If you qq about difficulty in this game then you need to just uninstall the game now and go play something easy. I love the way wow is right now <3
    That's why I switched mains =)

casual players and bad players have nothing to do with each other and being casual is no excuse for being bad

Deleted
    I play this game casually - I don't spend every waking hour on it, I play mostly in the weekends, or occasionally in the weekdays when I have time and *gasp* I got Light of Dawn when it was hard.
    I also killed C'thun in Vanilla, and M'uru in TBC.

Casual does not mean bad. It means casual, as in someone who doesn't allow his/her life to be absorbed by the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    The complaint comes down to this . Many many people started playing this game during wotlk and even those who did not got used to the play style of wotlk . So that expansion was easy mode and basically a loot festival . So now Blizzards decides ..." Ohh wait we don't like that " ! The funny thing is the designers who MADE wotlk are the same ones who had this fundamental philosophy change its almost like BI -POLAR in its extreme .

So now all the casuals and by casual that is pretty much anybody who does not to commit to a raiding schedule like the game is there second JOB you can dance around that all you like but thats how someone with common sense would classify a casual in WOW . These folks got used to being able to have some actual progression on there toon with heroics and and the being able to buy tier gear by doing heroics . Suddenly you have MILLIONS and yes there are VASTLY more casual players then hardcore that cannot progress like they did in WOTLK and so you are suprised when you see people complaining ?? get real man ...

Blizzards philosophy went from " we are going to make the content accessible to many different skill level players and not just hardcore raiders who spend all there free time in this game " to " we are going to make things hard and NO not everyone is going to see all the content " ....that is the frustration a lot of people have . Many people have many toons I myself have 2 85's and 7 more level 80's whom in WOTLK I was able to gear them all up pretty well ...but HELL no im not spending every waking hour in CATA farming heroics especially not with 45+ min q times .
    Blizzard made an error in judgement that everyone should always see the endcontent with little or no effort. The price was that the game became booring for many, people didnt need to develop playing skills, and they instead geared up a truckload of alts and a go-go attitude that didnt not develop team-work or team-spirit. Blizzard realised that, a very wise realisation.

You do seem to be the end-product of their error, lots of high level alts wich you no longer can support with gear because you cant play them well. Am I being harsch? Probably! But you already said it, you have 2 level 85's and none of them get the job done in heroics. Thats amasing, heroics are easy, but requires teamwork this expansion. TEAMWORK! Get it ? And they are now less forgiving. Healers cant compensate for the stupidity of the party, tanks cant just round everything up for aoe, and dps cant stay in fire to finish off that extra cast soo they look better on the meters. The solution is Teamwork...

no casual = bad , sorry if that rains on your parade. Making claims of killing moderate bosses in vanilla or /gasp tbc is pro amirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Hardcore player" = someone who sets their life around WoW (not necessarily all of it, but sets aside X hours to play eg. Raiding on Tuesday night for 4 hours).
    "Casual player" = someone who plays WoW when their life allows them to (eg. a couple of hours here and there, but can't commit to a solid raid schedule due to work or family commitments).
    Either of the above can be good players.
    Either of the above can be bad players.

Bad players shouldn't be in Heroics. If you're about to whine on a forum about how difficult Heroics are, stop, spend the time you were going to spend posting on reading up about your class, reforging, filling those empty gem slots, and enchanting your stuff. And if you're still waiting for the 45 minute queue to pop, go do quests/dailies to get rep so you can buy epics from the Quartermasters.
    Last edited by Conzar; 2011-01-22 at 12:06 PM.