10+ Year Old Account

LF Addon to find a player or mob's location

Can anyone recommend an addon that can locate a player or mob and either a) show the location on my minimap and/or b) give me the co-ordinates for that player/mob?

I'm thinking mainly for times when I am searching for someone in a city, but I can't just invite them to a party because one of us is in LFD queue or something like that. I try /tar <player name>, but sometimes, even when I target them, I can't find them on my screen. I occasionally have this problem with mobs, too, though this has been less of an issue since Blizzard added the skull to the minimap for quest mobs.

I'd prefer an addon that shows the target's location on my minimap, but any addon that can help me locate players/mobs would be useful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well... I think there are NPC scan addons... but I don't think there's anything that can actually put something on the minimap without you being a hunter or whatever. Seems like the kind of thing that Blizzard would be against, to be honest... how would you hide from someone on a PVP server if they could use an addon to track you across a continent?

Deleted
    Not possible.

If you are searching for a specific player/NPC near you, use that normal /tar <name> and assign a Raid Target to the mob/player... After that you look around for that mark you just made

10+ Year Old Account
    What about something that measures their range from me, so I know if I'm getting closer or farther away? I sometimes check my heals on my action bars for an estimate, but this only tells me if they are closer or farther than 40 yards.

---------- Post added 2011-01-22 at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schintus View Post
    If you are searching for a specific player/NPC near you, use that normal /tar <name> and assign a Raid Target to the mob/player... After that you look around for that mark you just made
    Will try this, thank you

There's some addon called NPCscan or smth. No idea if you can set it to track players tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    What about something that measures their range from me, so I know if I'm getting closer or farther away? I sometimes check my heals on my action bars for an estimate, but this only tells me if they are closer or farther than 40 yards.
    There used to be an addon back in the days, that displayed the yards to your target (before they figured out how to color the Actionbuttons) - but I'm sure, just like the huge nerf to Decursive, they made this impossible now...

EDIT-TO-REPLY:

NPCScan is an addon to find Rare mobs in zones - but, AFAIK, it does not show range or anything on the minimap. It pops up with a targetable frame and marks the mob it found.

Deleted
    RangeDisplay should be able to give you information on that.

Distance to a target can still be estimated by comparing if it can be hit by certain ranged abilities, but at best it will give a range of numbers since something is in range of one ability with x range, and out of range of that with y which is slightly greater.
    The "nerf" to decursive and pretty much anything else at that time was necessary to actually have healers making a decision, not the game playing for them.
    NPCScan will track via a cache if a certain mob has been "seen" by the game, really for the location and alertiing of the presence of rare spawns.

Edit: Nevermind, Treeston came up with an actual example instead of theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Already have NPCScan, another reason I'm looking for some type of find target addon. There have been a few times when my NPCScan has popped up with a rare mob, and I spend a minute flying around frantically looking for it just to find another player flying away from it's corpse.

---------- Post added 2011-01-22 at 12:38 AM ----------

Tried RangeDisplay, tested finding various guildmates in Orgrimmar, seems to work well enough.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Zoma; 2011-01-22 at 08:39 AM.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was about to suggest those too, lawomous - I made hundreds of them on my JC'er back in Wrath, and they're easy enough to get mats to make more.

They have an effective range of 30-40 yards, and will point you directly to the person you're targetting. :>

Deleted
    carbonite shows u the loc of other players using carbonite on ur friendlist or guild.
    i think its just using cartographer for that.

for npcs, there a plenty addons as ppl already wrote

Can't you just say "Hey meet me on top of 'XXXX' and we can do what we need to do"?

I really fail to see why you need an addon to do this sort of thing, as for finding a quest mob, blizz already put that into the game. Pressing M pretty much tells you where it is, and it if moves its pretty close to that circle most of the times. Rarely have I spent more than 3 mins looking for a quest mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Already have NPCScan, another reason I'm looking for some type of find target addon. There have been a few times when my NPCScan has popped up with a rare mob, and I spend a minute flying around frantically looking for it just to find another player flying away from it's corpse.

---------- Post added 2011-01-22 at 12:38 AM ----------

Tried RangeDisplay, tested finding various guildmates in Orgrimmar, seems to work well enough.

Thank you.
    If you are not using already, NPCScan.Overlay @ Curse will display on your minimap and world map the approximate spawn or patrol locations so aiding working out roughly where it should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    It would work on NPCs at least, but the addon could only show their spawn location, not track it.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    About a year ago I had a Map addon that would show location of my Guildies on the map.

VanasKoS detects nearby enemies using the combat log, Carbonite does the same thing.

you'd use this on pvp servers when questing, so you are aware of the enemy faction nearby.