Thread: Normal Temps?

Normal Temps?

Hey all,
    Today, i got a brand new GTX580. I've not gone with the absolute top card in any range before, but since i need this to be a real powerhouse for several years, there's no point doing anything but getting the best. It manages almost anything i throw at it at any settings (although 3DM2011 at Extreme does make it almost slideshow, it still runs at a "viewable" FPS).

Anyway, this thread isn't about whether it's worth it or not. It's about temperatures (and an AA "issue"). Basically, at default, the temperature was able to hit 82 C. I know the threshold is 104 C, but still, being within 18 degrees of that seems a little excessive. With MSI Afterburner, i've set it so it's at 72 while in moderate use. Are these temps normal for a GTX580? It's inside a Corsair Obsidian 800D with proper wire routing. The CPU is cooled by waterblock so no heat "overflow" from there (and the rad is mounted at the top of the case). It's basically a completely clear main compartment with decent airflow throughout. I've got a waterblock arriving for it on Monday which should hopefully chill it out a little. It's possible my room is a little warm (it's strange in that it's much hotter in this room than anywhere else in the house), but even when i was using my GTX460, it didn't get to anywhere near those temps (i recall it used to sit at around 45 idle and sub 60 load).

Another thing is that WoW seems to crash when i choose to set 32x AA in NV Control Panel. Is this a known issue, or is there some sort of fix for it? It's not really a major thing, but just thought i'd try and max the cards potential.

Overall, performance is excellent and for me it can't be beat. This heat issue has got me wondering though. So, is it really just a hot-running card?
    Coder, Gamer, YouTuber - Thoughtcloud | YouTube - Latest: BF4 - AWS : AWSHIT BROTATO!
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL/MySQLi, Python, jQuery, HTML, CSS | Learning: Ruby + Sinatra
    Phrases: Can't Replicate | Check StackOverflow | F*ck your illiterate elsif

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX670 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Yes, GTX580 is supposed to run at about 85C when on 100% load during hours long gaming session.

Heat output is one thing which was tweaked in the GTX500 series, GTX 470/480 run in 90-95C range.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Yes, GTX580 is supposed to run at about 85C when on 100% load during hours long gaming session.

Heat output is one thing which was tweaked in the GTX500 series, GTX 470/480 run in 90-95C range.
    Ah thank goodness for that. I remember the high-end 4 series cards were "too late, too hot and too loud" when they finally got released, so it's something i imagined wouldn't be an issue on the next releases.

Thanks
    Coder, Gamer, YouTuber - Thoughtcloud | YouTube - Latest: BF4 - AWS : AWSHIT BROTATO!
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL/MySQLi, Python, jQuery, HTML, CSS | Learning: Ruby + Sinatra

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX670 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

It's really pointless to give temps unless you give us the ambient temperature. If you're getting 82C when its 30C in your room, that's pretty sweet. If you're sitting at 16C in your room and you're loading at 82C you're in for trouble.
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    It's really pointless to give temps unless you give us the ambient temperature. If you're getting 82C when its 30C in your room, that's pretty sweet. If you're sitting at 16C in your room and you're loading at 82C you're in for trouble.
    Yep - The cooling is dependant on the room it is pulling air from not being too hot in the first place.

A lot of cases will blow cool air out unless the room they are in starts to get a bit hot.

The Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this. If you're air cooling your components, their temperature will be directly influenced by the ambient temperature of the air being used to cool them.

Also, why on earth would you want to use 32xAA?! Anything above 8x is going to be barely noticeable and just allocate more work to the GPU than it needs.

Every nvidia I've ever used has run at a really high temperature.

Unless something is wrong with Afterburner and CPU-Z, my 470 is showing at 41c with a slight OC while playing WoW. Your temps def seem high.

I just got a GTX 580 a few days ago and I slightly overclocked it with MSI Afterburner. With the fan at 45% and after running MSI Kombustor for 10 minutes straight at 1920x1080 and 32XQ quality the temps only got up to 63 degrees. I have watercooled my CPU as well and have plenty of fans in my case, but none directly on the GPU. I installed WoW last night have been having some serious WoW Critical Errors as well. I had to turn down my settings to get it to run. Still trying to figure that one out...btw, ambient temp is 23 celcius

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimor42 View Post
    I just got a GTX 580 a few days ago and I slightly overclocked it with MSI Afterburner. With the fan at 45% and after running MSI Kombustor for 10 minutes straight at 1920x1080 and 32XQ quality the temps only got up to 63 degrees. I have watercooled my CPU as well and have plenty of fans in my case, but none directly on the GPU. I installed WoW last night have been having some serious WoW Critical Errors as well. I had to turn down my settings to get it to run. Still trying to figure that one out...btw, ambient temp is 23 celcius
    Have you tested your GPU for stability after overclocking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    Unless something is wrong with Afterburner and CPU-Z, my 470 is showing at 41c with a slight OC while playing WoW. Your temps def seem high.
    Are you using the DirectX 11 runtimes? What's your GPU load? What's your resolution? What are your settings? All of these affect your card's temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Are you using the DirectX 11 runtimes? What's your GPU load? What's your resolution? What are your settings? All of these affect your card's temperature.
    Yes Dx11. Load wasn't too terribly high around 60% or so I think it was at. Resolution is pretty low 1680x1050 as I have some old 22", though I am running a dual setup which supposedly runs higher temps which I haven't noticed.

Well what's your ambient?

If you're sitting in a freezer well yeah your temps will be pretty good. And I see that's not at full load, what does it run at in full load?
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Hey all,
    Today, i got a brand new GTX580. I've not gone with the absolute top card in any range before, but since i need this to be a real powerhouse for several years, there's no point doing anything but getting the best. It manages almost anything i throw at it at any settings (although 3DM2011 at Extreme does make it almost slideshow, it still runs at a "viewable" FPS).

Anyway, this thread isn't about whether it's worth it or not. It's about temperatures (and an AA "issue"). Basically, at default, the temperature was able to hit 82 C. I know the threshold is 104 C, but still, being within 18 degrees of that seems a little excessive. With MSI Afterburner, i've set it so it's at 72 while in moderate use. Are these temps normal for a GTX580? It's inside a Corsair Obsidian 800D with proper wire routing. The CPU is cooled by waterblock so no heat "overflow" from there (and the rad is mounted at the top of the case). It's basically a completely clear main compartment with decent airflow throughout. I've got a waterblock arriving for it on Monday which should hopefully chill it out a little. It's possible my room is a little warm (it's strange in that it's much hotter in this room than anywhere else in the house), but even when i was using my GTX460, it didn't get to anywhere near those temps (i recall it used to sit at around 45 idle and sub 60 load).

Another thing is that WoW seems to crash when i choose to set 32x AA in NV Control Panel. Is this a known issue, or is there some sort of fix for it? It's not really a major thing, but just thought i'd try and max the cards potential.

Overall, performance is excellent and for me it can't be beat. This heat issue has got me wondering though. So, is it really just a hot-running card?
    Do what i did hook up your 580 with a waterblock and cool that as well.

Edit : 36 Degrees Idle
    Last edited by Umadcauseubad; 2011-01-23 at 05:15 AM.

Yes Dx11. Load wasn't too terribly high around 60% or so I think it was at. Resolution is pretty low 1680x1050 as I have some old 22", though I am running a dual setup which supposedly runs higher temps which I haven't noticed.
    As I mentioned/implied in the first reply of this thread, GTX470 will hit 90-95C maximum (at ~20C room temp) during several hours of 100% usage. WoW does not hit 100% on GTX470, not even close, so it shouldn't run at maximum temp either. My GTX460 is somewhere between 60-70% GPU usage, not even close to maximum either, with high+ settings on 1920x1080 monitor and 4x aa/af.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this. If you're air cooling your components, their temperature will be directly influenced by the ambient temperature of the air being used to cool them.

Also, why on earth would you want to use 32xAA?! Anything above 8x is going to be barely noticeable and just allocate more work to the GPU than it needs.
    The reason, as i said originally, was just to see if the card would be tested by such a level of AA. It wasn't about the unnoticable eyecandy, but merely about seeing whether it could be done in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Umadcauseubad View Post
    Do what i did hook up your 580 with a waterblock and cool that as well.

Edit : 36 Degrees Idle
    As i said, i've got a block arriving tomorrow. No point not making use of a system i bought just a month ago especially since the Phenom II chips don't get that warm as it is.

As I mentioned/implied in the first reply of this thread, GTX470 will hit 90-95C maximum (at ~20C room temp) during several hours of 100% usage. WoW does not hit 100% on GTX470, not even close, so it shouldn't run at maximum temp either. My GTX460 is somewhere between 60-70% GPU usage, not even close to maximum either, with high+ settings on 1920x1080 monitor and 4x aa/af.
    It's strange that WoW is actually making close to 100% use of this 580 at times, but obviously providing me with very decent FPS. I did increase all the settings to the max via cvar (and turned on the older effects such as glow), which are higher than what's available through the UI switches - which is indicated by several of the dropdowns stating "Custom" rather than ultra. Things like grass and such are now visible at a much higher range (and actually appear to "smooth off" into the far distance), not to mention maxing out farclip does make a real noticable difference. From the front gate of Orgrimmar, i can see the roof of the barracks at Razor Hill as well as the bridge between Durotar and The Barrens.

In areas such as The Barrens where it's almost all grass, it can push the card, but not to the point that FPS drops. Outside of these areas, it sits at around 40% usage. The visual difference is quite amazing though, at least for WoW.

I always thought the shadows were completely CPU-bound, but it's apparently not quite so simple. It seems that the shadows are actually stored in as textures (at up to 2048 resolution). Allowing WoW to use more than 512MB of VRAM is a major bonus, and even though it's only at 774MB so far (out of the 1536MB that the card has), i imagine that the extra headroom it's given is helping. The tex. mem usage does seem to increase as i head between zones.

Also, that 82 temp i mentioned was from when i was benchmarking in 3DM11 at extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I always thought the shadows were completely CPU-bound, but it's apparently not quite so simple. It seems that the shadows are actually stored in as textures (at up to 2048 resolution).
    Shadows and particle density are two effects that depend on both CPU and GPU, hard to say how much, but I'd guesstimate 2/3 CPU for shadows and particle density closer to 50/50.
    Trolling should be.

Shadows and particle density are two effects that depend on both CPU and GPU, hard to say how much, but I'd guesstimate 2/3 CPU for shadows and particle density closer to 50/50.
    Yeah. Shadows in particular are a little strange. With only changing the GPU, i'm able to maintain more stable FPS at a higher value. It's possible that the devs coded it to offload to the GPU when there was an excess of "power" there. Either way, it's apparent that it's not completely CPU based as i'd been lead to believe, and that a better GPU will certainly make a major difference. Whether that's due to increased VRAM or not, i really don't know.

Got the new waterblock fitted now, the EK-FC580 GTX, and temps won't even touch 45 under full load. I dare say a few hours stresstesting might change that, but it's sat at 40C idle at the moment, and moreover, it's 100% quieter. I did decide to increase the pump frequency from ~65Hz to 75Hz but that was merely as a safety net. The first run through, the fittings were leaking, to which i realised i didn't need the o-ring spacer. Got it all cleaned up, then refitted it. No problems so far, and just the gently hum of this Eheim Aquastream pump. The CPU temp has gone up a bit, but it's a warm day for january, and i'd expect it to be a bit warmer with only a 240 rad when adding such a card to the loop (the waters slightly warm throughout the loop [Pump > Rad > CPU > GPU > Res]).

You still haven't told us your ambient temperature...or many other things that affect the temperature of your card...
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz

I was having issues with my gtx 470 drivers crashing when I was playing wow and nothing else. After rolling back through every driver I realized it was caused by maxing my AA for some reason. Turned it down a bit and its run fine ever since >.>