Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Removal of the Authenticator

So my iPhone messed up big time, so bad that I had to restore it. Of course the authenticator didn't work after that and I can't remove it because of blizzards stupid system, you have to log in on battle.net with the authenticator and then type a code from the authenticator to be able to remove it...
    So tell me, ain't this the worst system ever, I mean it should be enough to know the secret password and stuff, but no you have to mail blizzard and wait maybe a week before they get back to you (I have waited for 2 days now). They got a password restore, but what I need is a authenticator remove.. Im getting really annoyed by this and it is highly unlikely I will add the authenticator again, the only thing that might get me to do it is that I want my corehound xD

So you would prefer that anyone could just opt out not having to enter the authenticator code, to remove the authenticator from your account?

Just asking, because if you can do that, what good is the authenticator for?
    Last edited by sebun; 2011-01-23 at 05:29 PM.

You need to call Blizzard. When I lost my iPod, I called Blizzard and the guy asked for some code which I didn't have. He asked for my address instead, I gave it to him, my authenticator was removed.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

So basically you want anyone to be able to remove your authenticator making it useless?
    Just CALL Blizzard instead of mailing and you will have it sorted in 10 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have just planned ahead.

You can view the serial number of the mobile one at any time, just note down what the code is, and put in in a safe place / make a .txt file in my docs
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

How else would they prevent illegitimate 3rd parties from removing your authenticator without your permission?

You don't have to email Blizzard, you can call them. Call Blizzard and your issue will be solved in like 30 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelia View Post
    So basically you want anyone to be able to remove your authenticator making it useless?
    Just CALL Blizzard instead of mailing and you will have it sorted in 10 minutes.
    That is if you have the serial number still, seeing how clever the first post is, I'm assuming he hasn't.

Dude, post on the official forums. O_o I see threads like this everyday. 5 minutes later a Blue is like "Yo man we'll remove it for you! Ty for telling us."

So go there. Now.

Worst system...lol....

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    @sebun: Well almost, they could atleast have a system, im not a Einstein, but im sure blizzard could think of something.

@Neyze: I tried to call, but just got a voice saying there where to many calling at that point and I had to try again later. I have been calling them for 2 days and waited for my mail to be read. Serious blizz recruit more peoples:P

Quote Originally Posted by Yuntay View Post
    To be honest, I've never liked the idea of the authenticator, shouldn't it be free? You should have the option to use the authenticator system without having to pay for it. It would greatly increase account security, and although Blizzard would of wouldn't be making money out of it, they wouldn't have to hire as many employees to deal with account security.

Also, the whole 'unable to remove' it thing is just rubbish in my opinion, you've payed for the service, you should at least have the choice as to whether or not it's active.

(Finally signed up to post after months of lurking, so first post and all.)
    You can remove it my friend. But you need to LOGIN to do so. Using the authenticator. If it didn't require an authenticator to log in, hackers would just remove once they have your password.

Its also totally free with an iPhone/other devices.

Its a very clunky annoying thing so I can understand why its optional. If u DC you cant just quickly log in and save the raid from wiping or something. Heck I'd rather NOT use it but I've been hacked b4 and I don't wanna go through that again.
    Last edited by Bombkirby; 2011-01-23 at 05:37 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beno113 View Post

You can view the serial number of the mobile one at any time, just note down what the code is, and put in in a safe place / make a .txt file in my docs
    You know you have to log in on battle.net with a code from the authenticator to benefit from that code.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamara View Post
    @sebun: Well almost, they could atleast have a system, im not a Einstein, but im sure blizzard could think of something.

@Neyze: I tried to call, but just got a voice saying there where to many calling at that point and I had to try again later. I have been calling them for 2 days and waited for my mail to be read. Serious blizz recruit more peoples:P
    Try harder. Befriend your "recall" button.

They have a system and it works just fine, you just have to learn how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sebun View Post
    That is if you have the serial number still, seeing how clever the first post is, I'm assuming he hasn't.
    The original CD-key for WoW will do just fine when calling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuntay View Post
    To be honest, I've never liked the idea of the authenticator, shouldn't it be free? You should have the option to use the authenticator system without having to pay for it. It would greatly increase account security, and although Blizzard would of wouldn't be making money out of it, they wouldn't have to hire as many employees to deal with account security.

Also, the whole 'unable to remove' it thing is just rubbish in my opinion, you've payed for the service, you should at least have the choice as to whether or not it's active.

(Finally signed up to post after months of lurking, so first post and all.)
    Since he has an iPhone it is free, same goes for people with Android phones.
    And of course you can't remove it without having access to it, then it wouldn't provide any additional security at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelia View Post
    The original CD-key for WoW will do just fine when calling them.
    Maybe in US but not in EU, the guy has location set as Norway, so again assuming he plays on EU servers.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well then say you could remove the authenticator if you had the codes from the wow or something, not my problem to figure out why, im here so the employees of blizzard can get paid.

---------- Post added 2011-01-23 at 06:39 PM ----------

Maybe in US but not in EU, the guy has location set as Norway, so again assuming he plays on EU servers.
    Ye I do... Wouldn't mind moving:P

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a safety precaution. I have the serial no from my authenticator stored in a safe place in case I ever lose it or it dies, so I can remove it if need be, and I suggest everyone else who has one do also (which frankly should be everyone... help cut down on the darned bots [I reported 6 last night alone on my server including a lvl 74 dk herbing in Vashj'ir and running underground])

Sweden here and on EU servers, yes cd-key is enough.
    Maybe it depends who you get on the phone.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Dude, post on the official forums. O_o I see threads like this everyday. 5 minutes later a Blue is like "Yo man we'll remove it for you! Ty for telling us."

So go there. Now.

Worst system...lol....
    Oh yeah of course i'll go there now! No wait I have to log in to post on the forums:O So not so clever there aight?

---------- Post added 2011-01-23 at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomity View Post
    This is a safety precaution. I have the serial no from my authenticator stored in a safe place in case I ever lose it or it dies, so I can remove it if need be, and I suggest everyone else who has one do also (which frankly should be everyone... help cut down on the darned bots [I reported 6 last night alone on my server including a lvl 74 dk herbing in Vashj'ir and running underground])
    Wait, you don't have to type in an authenticator code to log on battle.net? I do..

Quote Originally Posted by beno113 View Post

thats actualy a mistake to do that , hacker with your serial number of the auth, can make an emulator for your auth with that serial, and hack you just as easily as you didnt had any authenticator at all .
    BETA CLUB

10+ Year Old Account
    Rather than seeking help on the official forums, you come here looking to complain? Why?
    As mentioned many times before; call Blizzard. Speaking with someone is much faster than an email, that's pretty much common sense.

For anyone to be able to remove the authenticator without the actual authenticator would render the entire system useless. Great, I have your login and password! Oh, wait, an authenticator? Do-pee-do-pee-do, Blizzard site, click the big 'REMOVE AUTHENTICATOR' button, woohoo! Haxorz time.