Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Making gold in Cata

Cant seem to find any way I can make money with the time I have available, I have to make about 3k gold a week for raiding. I currently have Leatherowrking and Alchemy, just hit LW 500 and leveling a new crafting profession is not an option, gathering profs are out of the question as well due to raid buffs. I need to find a way to make some reasonable gold with the time I have to play (1-2hrs a day), Playing the AH is something I am really not willing to do as I had tried it a couple times and it seems to have an unstable income and to make real profit you need to start with a lot of gold.. not to mention the time it takes to start playing it from scratch. Am I asking for too much out of the game or did they design it for people in my situation to be broke, any suggestions?

Farm volatiles; super fast money, I'm getting about 90 fire's per hour and stocking up the AH

Deleted
    Doesn't work for everyone (people not raiding), but i'm raiding in a 10m group atm, have everything on normal at farm etc, so obv we don't need most of the BoE epics. These net us loads of cash atm. Had 3 BoE epics last raid, got us about 6k each :>

3 BoE's @ 6k each?

Geez, We're paying 20-50k per Raid BoE my server :S

If you need 3Kg a week for raiding, you're doing something seriously wrong. What the heck are you buying that costs 3K a week?

As for gold making, there's plenty of options. Use your professions more and sit in trade offering services. If you don't want to do that, farm something that you can. Fishing, meats, volatiles all can be farmed without a gathering main profession and they sell well. Also, try the AH again. A smart AH person can turn 1g into 1,000 easily in a week. It's not that hard and doesn't require gold to start, just time, knowledge, and patience.

You said you have Alchemy so you could sell xmutes, I know on my server Truegold goes for 730-850g a piece. Being a miner/engineer I'm able to get a lot of the mats fairly easily so I buy other players cooldowns for 50-100g each and sell the bars, if I don't happen to have the mats for Truegold I end up selling the green quality purple gems for 50 or so gold each on the weekends. I know you don't have gathering professions but you could look into the Truegold mats and see if you can make a profit that way or try your luck at buying ore and getting it prospected.

If you need 3Kg a week for raiding, you're doing something seriously wrong. What the heck are you buying that costs 3K a week?
    Was king of wondering the same thing. 3k for a week of raiding seems a bit high for the usual player. I could understand needing that much for raiding in a World First guild on progressions weeks but even then it still seems a tad high.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2011-01-29 at 04:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inbred View Post
    3 BoE's @ 6k each?

He means the 10 people in his raid got 6kgold each from the 3 BoE's, so they sold for around 20k each BoE.

Deleted
    7 days, 2 hours / day.
    14 hours / week.
    3000k gold 7 week.
    ~260g / hour

Your professions aren't really good for earning money, to be quite honest very few professions are any good. If you had max LW you could possibly sell your crafts / Chaos Orbs. You can try to sell your Alchemy cooldown every day or you can buy volatile life transmute it into a more expensive kind and sell those.

Alternatively, depending on your class you might be able to farm old instances with ease and speed. Hellfire Ramparts should be easy and fast. Loot everything and vendor any items, AH cloth drops / potions. I've also heard that Magtheridon is soloable now (for some classes) and yields 500g / week.

The hard truth is that for people that don't play very often money is going to be short. On top of that if you spend 3k gold / week just on raids you're bound to be a very poor player.

10+ Year Old Account
    3k a week for raiding? WHAT?

*Cook your own food or catch your own fish if possible
    *You're alchemist - make your own flasks and get procs by going elixir master
    *You're in a guild - have guild members who have herbalism, guess what? supply the herbs! That's among one of the many reason guilds are for!
    *If guild bank repairs are not arranged, discuss the idea with your leaders. It's not a bad idea.

Gems? Enchants? You must be gearing up pretty damn fast to be spending that much on these things! And in any case I refer to my earlier point about having guildies to provide better 'value' than the AH.

Deleted
    idk about your server, but several BoE raiding epics are at a steady price of 3-6k at Outland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithil View Post
    idk about your server, but several BoE raiding epics are at a steady price of 3-6k at Outland.
    Outland EU or US?

"3 BoE's at 6k each?

Geez, We're paying 20-50k per Raid BoE my server "

I think he meant that the raiders in that 10 man got 6k each when those 3 epics were sold at 20k each, 60k split 10 ways = 6k

also playing with the AH is a good way to make money if you don't have time. Just takes the right time and few idiot sellers to put stuff up under vendor price. Also alchy is good money maker, depending on servers. I usually make flasks that i don't normally use or have extras of it, sell them as 2's rather than individually, sells pretty quick that way.

edited due to not being able to Quote posts

Quote Originally Posted by Inbred View Post
    3 BoE's @ 6k each?

I think he meant they divide up the gold earned from them and so they each got 6k...

Buy 15 volatile life ~ 150g, teleport to Uldum, transmute them to 14-16 volatile air, sell them for 375g = profit
    Навахо - druid 85
    Будда - warlock 85
    Кул - rogue 83
    Адвил - priest 82
    Клик - mage 80
    Ямастер - death knight 80
    Чикис - warrior 77
    Джетсет - paladin 76
    Кензу - shaman 74
    Коп - hunter 72

10+ Year Old Account
    First thing that comes to mind for me is that you are probably buying all of your consumables. Farm the mats for whatever food you use during raids if your guild isn't using a feast. You are an alchemist so supplying your own flasks but I assume you buy your herbs? Find an herbalist in your guild who will give you a break on large quantities. Does your guild not pay repairs nor supply flasks or feasts? 3k gold sounds crazy for spending no matter what just for raids. I would re-evaluate where the gold is going (there are addons for tracking spending) and start farming what mats you need (fishing wise). As a second profession take up archaeology. People pay crazy amounts for the scrolls that drop randomly and as of next patch the things you make sell for decent gold. It is seriously time consuming but doesn't require you to drop either of your professions. Otherwise, do Tol Barad dailies every day and your random dungeon every day- that is a couple hundred gold plus chance for random drops and enchant mats. I seriously don't understand wtf they did to the amount of gold rewarded from dailies, that is hurting everyone, but Tol Barad's pay more.
    Best of luck.

Deleted
    Earned around 4k gold on alchemy in around 2 hours. Herbed and made flasks.

As you dont have herb, you can always buy herbs on AH and craft the flasks yourself, on my server I can buy herbs, craft flasks and if I dont get any procc from elixirmaster I go + - 0, getting a 5x proc can easily net in a 1k gold+

Easiest way to make gold? Trade in your 1650Valor for BoE boots, advertise then sell um for no less then 18k, which shouldn't be hard to do. after that wait for someone advertising offer 9k.. they'll say no, offer 11k. haha, every once in a while you'll get a hit buy your spec boots throw um on the ah for 19k and wait =] if they dnt sell u get an upgrade. if they do sell u get $. Either way you're not losing any G.
    You sold yours for 19,
    used that 19 to buy the same boots for 11
    if they don't sell you get the boots + 8k. if they do u get 8k more =]
    repeat

- Easier.. run to Uldum - Orsis, and just kill the mobs for volatile air. decent drop rate you can make 500-1k an hour doing that.
    Last edited by fallenswarm; 2011-01-29 at 04:42 AM. Reason: remembered a better way

right now, im farming ore/herbs and selling 2/3 of what i gather, i farm about an hour a day, 7 days a week, and form that, i make roughly 8k gold a week. now, you add my inscription, alchemy and JC, and im making roughly 20-25k a week. and if you add in my BS buddy, i give him the mats, he provides the orbs, we make the craftable chests, we make about 50k a week(each) off those. so, it all depends on what you have access to, andh ow hard you work for it.

BTW, my BS buddy farms heroics on his paladin(has raidable prot and holy sets, he is building his ret spec), and he farms with a bunch of guildies who give him the orbs.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

Thanks for all the help, I will probably switch to a different alchemy mastery, farm volatiles, level main professions to save on food.

I wonder how many hours do you raid a week to spend 3k? (others mentioned it before)

When your guild hits lvl22 (not yet i guess) it's really handy if one raidmember is an alchemist. The Cauldron is helpful when you first get it, but at guildlevel 22; for a 10man raid, flask-consumtion drops from 40 to 8 for a 4hour raid.

As for farming gold... I do dailys every day. 25 of them Daily JC and fishing. 12 in Tol Barad. 7 in Deepholm and 4 in icecrown (those who drop a bag of golds). Ok to do if you have the tabard. + Daily hc - 80 somthing gold. Selling all cloth, meat and other usable items on ah. It all sums up to about 500g a day for no more than an hour and a half's work.

(More gold to earn if you do twilight dailys instead of Deepholm, but it's not that many and they are soooo boring)