Engineering - Blacksmithing. Help decide.

Hello,
    since Cata I've started rolling a new character, a warrior. I wanted to start with both a gathering and a crafting prof, so I chose Mining and Engineering. Now, this choice came to be because it really looked fun and promising. I've had an enchanter, a tailor, a (low level) blacksmith and engineering felt like something I should take, as it was supposed to be fun. Leveled it up to around 240 and then started noticing, that it's getting very hard to level it, as most orange recipes either require A LOT of expensive materials, or there are a few cheaper to make yellow items. I dropped it and switched to blacksmithing, but some part of me is regretting it.
    I don't really do any hardcore raiding or some serious PvP (at max level), but I do battlegrounds, some WPvP, heroics, the odd RAID pugs and I wanted a crafting prof that would somehow make these activities slightly more fun.
    The question is, does engineering get harder and harder to level through TBC and WotLK content, or does it somehow get a bit more useful? At that low level I've reached I really didn't have any useful gadgets. Some higher level stuff seems to be quite nice (Flexweave parachute, or the nitro boosts), but the failure rates (the ones commented on wowhead) seem to make those more like items that have a 33%chance to kill you.
    So, what would you guys recommend - Engineering or Blacksmithing (I like both the same).
    Last edited by Deangelo; 2011-01-24 at 06:25 PM.

If you're having trouble getting them to max level, or just want a way to do it faster, i recommend going to http://www.wow-professions.com

But as for which to choose, its all about what you want to do with your game primarily. I saw PvP and some raiding, but thats not too specific. If you're PvPing or DPSing raids mainly (or just want one for plain old fun), then I would go with Engineering. It provided lots of perks for PvP (nitro boots, parachute cloaks), plenty of DPS boosts (rocket wrist thingies, gernade belts), lots of useful little things (MOLL-E, Jeeves/repairbots), and lots of little fun things (various pets, portable wormholes, ect.). The failure rate really hasn't been an issue for me, but maybe I'm just lucky like that, lol.
    If you're going mainly to tank, then I (personally) would go with BS. The additional sockets and peices of tanking gear are fairly nice.

Both of these opinions are totally debatable, and are just that, opinions. =P

Thanks for the reply. Well, to be more specific, my day of playing wow usually consists of tanking a few heroics and/or a few random BGs. This char is also only lvl48, so i guess it's a bit early to judge profs. But as I said, i'd like to choose one and stick with it. Thus I'd like to know what to expect at higher levels.
    Anyone else? Blacksmiths?
    Last edited by Deangelo; 2011-01-24 at 06:43 PM.

Both professions have their perks. If you don't have a lot of play time, I'd definately look into a crafting guide to efficiently level your professions when you ARE playing. I know I have almost no play time these days and I want to spend it having fun. You'll make some decent gold off of blacksmithing if you keep an eye out for cheap mats.

However, I'd stay away from going back to 1 crafting and 1 gathering profession. Do you REALLY want to spend your time running around looking for nodes when you could be leveling, in an instance, BG, etc? If it's gold that's a problem, maybe hit some of the higher levels where gold starts pouring down like mana from heaven (slight exaggeration) then worry about leveling your professions.