Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that disc pvp is not very viable right now. HOWEVER, it is very important that priests of every spec (no so much shadow though) understand that the way we do everything has changed a lot, between archangel and chakra and shadow orbs each spec need to read up on all of their changes.

I have done PvP with all three of the specs, because I love all of them and from my experience this is what I found:

Shadow: I think I can say that the shadow priest is moderately over powered right now. I have done multiple BGs with other classes, and I am seemingly more undergeared than them, and between our short cooldowns of psychic scream (which will not be so short in the next patch, it will be 30 seconds longer) and dispersion you should not have too much of a problem with doting and kiting your opponent. It does help to have a USE: SP or mastery trinket, as this really helps against hunters or rogues. Also, mana burn is your best friend, so if that is not currently part of your rotation against mana users you should def. start using that.

Disc: Unfortunately, I found disc to be the not viable spec of the 3, at least not until you can get into enough pvp gear that has the spirit on it ot increase your throughput/mana regen, and then immediately start working on building up haste and intl. Since heal is the new Flash Heal and it heals for 1/3 the amount and has twice the cast time you should do what you can to make it as useful as possible. Also, I found that a lot of disc priests were not using Holy Fire before their Smite spam, which is a huge mistake, as Holy Fire increases damage done by Smite by 20%. Also, if you are having huge mana problems then you may want to consider stocking up on potions and use flasks that increase spirit instead of SP. THE GOOD THING: Lots of vamp ups for patch 4.0.6 for disc priests to make it a lot better!

Holy: Holy was the other spec that I found to be overwhelmingly OP. The mana cost is not nearly a problem now, and the heals that go out especially with Greater Heal are huge. Most of my spells seemed to proc a lot, and I am not even carrying that much crit. Since you can use Chakra at ALL TIMES it should be used that way. Most people forget about it most of the time. Also, do not forget about Holy Word: Chastise, which gives you an additional chakra-like state. Still, stacking spirit is a must and after that is haste.

If you have not checked out the updated patch notes about priests here they are listed:

• The duration of Levitate has been increased to 10 minutes, up from 2.
    • The mana cost of Power Word: Fortitude has been reduced by approximately 68%, making it roughly equal to the cost of Mark of the Wild.
    • The mana cost of Power Word: Shield has been increased by approximately 31%, but its effect has been increased by 208%.
    • The mana cost of Renew has been reduced by 24%.
    • The mana cost of Shadow Protection has been reduced by approximately 65%, making it roughly equal to the cost of Mark of the Wild.
    • Talent Specializations

• Discipline
    i. Focused Will now procs when the priest is critically hit, in addition to its current effect.
    ii. Improved Power Word: Shield now also increases the amount absorbed by an additional 15/30% when cast on oneself.
    iii. Pain Suppression is no longer dispellable.

• Holy
    i. Blessed Resilience will now proc when the priest is critically hit, in addition to its current effect.
    ii. Chakra states now last 1 minute, up from 30 seconds.
    iii. Desperate Prayer now heals the priest for 30% of their total health, up from a very subpar value.
    iv. Holy Concentration now increases the amount of mana regeneration from Spirit while in combat by an additional 15/30%, down from 20/40%.
    v. Holy Word: Chastise now has a 30-second cooldown, up from 25. In addition, it properly breaks from damage.
    vi. Lightwell's health has been increased by 50% (for PvP purposes).
    vii. Serendipity now has Spell Alert and Floating Combat Text feedback support.
    viii. Surge of Light can now also proc from Flash Heal and Greater Heal, and can now also critically hit.

• Glyphs
    i. Glyph of Mind Flay no longer requires Shadow Word: Pain to be on the target.
    ii. Glyph of Pain Suppression has been renamed Glyph of Desperation and now allows Guardian Spirit to be cast while stunned, in addition to Pain Suppression.
    iii. Glyph of Psychic Horror now reduces the cooldown of Psychic Horror by 30 seconds, down from 60.
    iv. Glyph of Spirit of Redemption has been converted into Glyph of Prayer of Mending, which increases the healing done by the first charge of Prayer of Mending by 60%.

That is all for patch 4.0.6

shadow is pretty good in bgs. we are kinda screwed by dispel at times. 1v1 we are quite well off compared to other classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bantu View Post
    shadow is pretty good in bgs. we are kinda screwed by dispel at times. 1v1 we are quite well off compared to other classes.
    do you work for blizz?
    how can you say pretty good? against what,, i have 3300 resi, i get constant stunned from a warr and trinket out of 1 then insta sunned while he beats the shite out of me in about 5 secs im dead, same with rogue and ferals, not to mention unkillable dks,, you need to open your eyes and b4 ppl say l2p i like to think i have some clue wtf to do after playing sp for 3 yrs

Deleted
    disci/holy priest will be good in next patch

spriest will be underpowered like now (increase our disarm to 1.30 sec it's retarded)

the problems are

- we have not a spammable cc like mage and warlock
    - we have not mobility (mage have blink and blazing speed, warlock have teleport)
    - if a player run around a wall we can't kill him

our damage is very good i think. we need more control and more mobility

we have only

1- fear every 23 sec
    2- horror every 90 sec
    3. silence every 45 sec
    4- mind control spammable (most useless cc in the game with most retarded casting time 2.5 sec................)

and we have 6 sec dispersion every 85 sec with pet every 4 min

for example we can see mages XD

1- frost nova every 20 sec
    2- deep freeze evey 1 min
    3- pet nova every 30 sec
    4- cone of cold every 8 sec
    5- ring of frost high cd but resetable with cold snap
    6- polymorph
    7- counterspell that now silence for 4 sec without interrupt and lock ability for 7 sec with interruption

with blink every 15 sec and ice block (8 sec duration) resetable with cold snap (so 30 sec cd for hypo) and pet always up

it's retarded! xD

Deleted
    Let me elaberate.

Im On 3.7k Ress As Disc

DK Owns me. Cant kite that for shit and the DPS out does my HPS. So 1 Minute in arena and im dead. There cds are so short its impossible to cast anything. Strangulate, Mind freeze, Pet stun. Its like WTF.

Warriors. I mean...are these the new rogues? There is so much stun going on its unreal. As above there DPS out does my HPS, Only time ill win is if the others are retarded.

Druid, Pfff.. Were to start...Unkitable completley..Im dead within 30 secs if i cant get a good fear off.

Warlocks. Seems like they heal more with DPs than i heal with heal. Ended up 1 v 1 with a lock. Before cata disc would have a chane to win..Now i just sigh and leave arena.

Paladins....this is mainly at Holy Palas. Mana.....they seem to have endless amounts of mana. MY rogue sat on pala whilst warrior trained me. When i died Pala still had full mana. So More frustration.

Druids are in the same boat...Never seem to oom.

Im sick of being stuck on 1800 Rating. We cant get higher as it all these fucked up classes faceroll me.

And people...if u think priest is fine...your cleary not testing it enough. Shadow Goes OOM to fast in arena. Disc goes OOM to fast.

Its got to the point that im so frustrated with the way priests are atm that i log in less and less each day.

Ress feels like a useless stat. And arena has just died for me.
    Beyond a joke..Blizz pulled a good one

Amazing, another Priest that's shit and claims that it's wrong on the class (i.e underpowered)

ever thought about that your playstyle is the issue?

Shadow Priests:

Yes, the Dots sucks for most of the time, why? cause we don't have any dispel protection, but hey... guess what! This is why we have Mind spike, you seen the spell before? USE IT! no i mean it... god damn use it.

If you can dot someone up, by all means do it, but for love of god, don't start mind spiking him right after if you plan on nuking him, you'll waste your mana for nothing, if you have to dot you do it to put some kind of pressure on whoever you wont nuke for the moment to late put pressure on him while he's busy healing your current target.

Line up all your CD's along with your partners CD's. I ran Spriest / Rshaman which is one of the more squishy setups that i could run but hey... still i didn't have issue with that many comps, yes some is straight up boring and pointless but there's always work arounds.

Can't even count on how many Hpally/Warrior, Rdruid/Warrior, Rshaman/Lock, Rogue/feral etc etc that i've beaten, why? it has nothing to do with the damage, it's how you line up your CD's and how and when you go on someone.

Yes, the Damage isn't as it "should" be compared to some classes, but then again, we're not them, we're not supposed to have the same damage as them, this isn't world of equalcraft, deal with it. "we're" so many Spriests that can do it proper and get somewhere, no reason why you shouldn't, not to mention that it's NOT the class that is wrong, it's you that's doing it wrong.

As for the other speccs, yes Disc isn't as it supposed to be, i personally don't like it in PVP but that's my personal prefference, i raided as Holy and rather heal as it in PVP as well as it's viable nowdays and it went fine for me in 3v3 and 5v5, i only ran shadow in 2v2 so.

And if you can't do anything as Holy, then again, you're doing it terribly wrong, fucking adapt to Cataclysm and stop bitching about it cause you don't know what to do, getting kinda tired with all those posts claiming that the class is underpowered while others is doing just fine.

/ end of rant.

Shadow going OOM? Yes they might do, why? for several reasons.

1. dot something up and see if they realize that they can dispel it quick to reduce your damage output, if they do, stop it completely or put pressure on someone with mindspike and dot a pet up if it's a DK/Lock

2. Use Archangel, there's no reason to not have it up every CD unless you're saving it when you got a free 10~ sec to burst someone or lining it up with CD's.

3. use Disperse offensive, there's no reason not to push them into defensive and keep it that way, it's so easy as a Spriest, i've even killed Feral druids in matter of seconds where my shaman went "Wtf happend to the druid?"

DK's is easy to kite, Shackle their pet if it's up, if they're in lichbourne then shackle them, fake cast, don't ever get caught in an interrupt against them, easy enough, if your partner is doing shit for getting him off you, then yeh... there's your issue, yet again... it's NOT the class.

Yes, warriors is kinda crazy, as Disc i can see your issue as you'll require loads of peels, if you're Holy, then you need to change your playstyle right here and right now, i beat warriors most of the time as Holy 1v1 even, it's not hard.
    Last edited by Chitzu; 2011-01-26 at 08:38 AM.

While Disc is gimp as buggery, I still tend to win 50/50 as Priest Rogue against other DPS/Healer comps barring Affl/Druid.

What's devastating is that I'm only in the 1600's and I am outplaying the absolute shit out almost every other healer. I'm offensive dispeling, mana burning while kiting as best I can and using good fears - they just pretty much sit there and tank and without mana burns, easily last twice as long as I can.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a killing stand point, i find that all priests are a joke, I can pretty much rape them into oblivion w/0 concern; be they shadow/disc/holy. Although shadow has good control, their dots are paltry w/0 dark evangelism and empowered shadow(accounting for 25% of dmg output). So, the only way to get a decent set of dots on is to re-dot, which is costly and time consuming. As for Mindspike atks, this seems more viable, but, spriests suffer from spell-class lockouts. I can spellock/mindfreeze/counterspell a shadow priest and make it entirely useless. It's only option is to run. Disc lacks mobility. Shields just arent that tough, their aoe healing is pathetic, and single target healing also buff reliant. Holy, put it this way...interupt to gib.

Compared to other healers, an druid will just kite you endlessly spamming insta hots. A palidan will mock your blows with his plate armor, insta/free heals (think beacon, protector of the innocent/WoG/LoD/Holy Shock). Add to that that they dont have to expose themselves to heal their target, thank you beacon.

When I bg as a warlock/dk/mage...i'm elated to see priests, because they're an ez kill. In regards to the PTR, I assume that everyone is freaking out about the 112k Mindblast. To get to that, that required procs, cooldown, and ramp up. If you're moronic enough to let a caster ramp up that much and stack his buffs to pull that off, you deserve to get hit that hard.

I only play in the 1500 bracket, but our survivability is kinda low, as is healing. I play disc/afflic, and can win games with a well timed power infuse/mana burn. VS double dps teams, pain suppress can sometimes buy you enough time to get a peel and kill. In bg's i can handle 2 dps most of the time on my own, but only for so long cuz my mana gets burned quick with the need to use flash heal, its our big fast heal but long cast.

No one even mentions the fact that blizzard has deemed it a good idea to remove pushback reduction from out talents completely. I cant cast for shit if i have melee on me at all, all my spells are pushed back so hard it take me forever to cast a mind spike, thats to say that they have not already interupted our spamfest of channeled / casted abilitys. It seems like any good melee with an interupt can put enough pressure on me if i dont have my horror off cd. Either give us some pushback reduction like in wrath or give us a "shadow fuse" type ability that puts us into stealth, cus it seems like we are not meant to be targeted at all :P