Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Things I miss about TBC: heroic Shattered Halls pre-nerf, IQD on PvP servers, every raid except Karazhan.

Things I don't miss about TBC: Karazhan, mace stun, resto druids, HARP, dreamstate resto druids, SL/SL, drain teams, paladins that tried to tank before prot was good, Netherwing dailies, Karazhan.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

There is one thing that BC had raids set up that are different from now, and that's progression. at BC launch there were already 2 tiers deep of raids and T6 was right around the corner (BT was released just a lil bit after) and afaik people were still doing kara well into 2.3 when ZA came out which gave people T5 equiv in 10 man content. it was just REALLY hard to raid and progress.

In Wrath people were blowing through content like it was nothing and people got bored of it really quickly. Even doing Kara tons and tons of time I never lost my love for that place, there is an epic feel when you did the attunement and walked into that Tower.

tl;dr, BC = tons of content from start, long time to experience it all for the most part, Wrath and Cata = gated content, wait loooong time to see more stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehfred View Post
    Things I miss about TBC: heroic Shattered Halls pre-nerf, IQD on PvP servers, every raid except Karazhan.

Things I don't miss about TBC: Karazhan, mace stun, resto druids, HARP, dreamstate resto druids, SL/SL, drain teams, paladins that tried to tank before prot was good, Netherwing dailies, Karazhan.
    you forgot locks bro, oh the nightmares. I remember back in tbc everytime I saw a lock from another faction on my feral Druid I died a little inside and started to cry, it's cause of them I went pvp reto with him lol. Damn you fear
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    you forgot locks bro, oh the nightmares. I remember back in tbc everytime I saw a lock from another faction on my feral Druid I died a little inside and started to cry, it's cause of them I went pvp reto with him lol. Damn you fear
    he did say Locks, SL\SL is siphon life/soul link spec in tbc wich made locks nearly immortal

I too loved tbc, was the most fun I ever had playing wow. The game isn't necessarily worse or better than it used to be, we've just been playing it longer, with all things the more you do it the less fun it will be. Not to say the game isn't still fun, just doesn't have that same spark.

10+ Year Old Account
    The starter content PVE wasn't that much, but the PVP was divine. Say what you say, I found it the most balanced, even though shamans were crying for some love through out the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Karazhan was hardly entry level when it came out. Guilds with top 100 kills still hadn't cleared it 12 weeks after release.

I used to have a link to Karazhan World kills somewhere, but i suspect even if i did have it, the link has long died.

From memory i believe it took top 10 guilds 3 weeks to clear since launch of TBC and like i say, 12 weeks for the 100th guild to clear fully.

Still alot harder than the stuff we see these days. But bearing in mind attunements were required also.
    Alot of the time it took to clear kara had nothing to do with the fights being challenging, and everything to do with a bunch of them being HORRIBLY broken.

I mean, there was nothing quite like having Aran murder your entire raid with Flame Wreath + ice storm + Arcane Explosion all cast literally within seconds of eachother because the were not on mutually exclusive timers. Or wipeing for days on prince because RNG with infernals simply never went your way.

A boss fight where success is almost purely driven by random chance is not a good example of challenge or balance.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2011-01-26 at 07:54 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the guild I was in during TBC. Now it has turned into lazy/bad players and their inbred half cousins from the bible belt.
    No seriously, when they started talking about how evolution was propaganda to undermine the word of the lord I quit and didn't play for a year and a half. I do not discriminate against people with different views of life as long as they don't try to force it on me.
    I also miss MH to some extent (the bosses were fun, the trash... well not really)
    BC was fun aswell.

The rose tinted glasses come out in this thread.

Everyone sits back and remembers how good Vanilla was, or how good BC was. Honestly, while I enjoyed the expansion a lot, I get frustrated listening to everyone get nostalgic about this they like, but seem to forget all the shit they didn't like.

The OP mentioned how epic BT and Hyjal were. BT I loved, completed it while it was still current content and enjoyed most of the fights. Hj i hated, the boss fights were often bland, minus Archimonde, and the TRASH JUST SUCKED. waiting on waves after waves of trash was not fun, and was really just there to slow everyone down. While i attended farm nights with my guild, because i like to be a reliable guy, i had to grit my teeth through the trash in that place.

I get that people like to sit back and remember the good times, but if you don't enjoy the game now also, it's in your control to leave.

I think the only thing I disliked in TBC was MH trash. Blizzard themselves have stated that they would like to go back to a more TBC model with a few systems in Cataclysm. Sadly they've failed in a few areas, but whatever. It's still a bit better than WotLK, for now.

I think TBC was the most lore-oriented and fun in that sense. It took you to Medivh's Tower (Kara), fight with Vol'Jin (ZA), let you go back in time to witness the events of WC3 from a different PoV (Hyjal), take down Illidan (BT) and try to get his sick Warglaives, take out Kael'Thas (The Eye), fight Lady Vashj (SSC), and take out Kil'Jaeden kind of (Sunwell)! Those are some epic figures in lore that you got to contest with, Illidan especially...who doesn't love that guy. Hyjal was the way it was for lore's sake, it was a beautiful rendition of WC3 lore and to anyone who played WC3 (before getting tired of farming Hyjal or relying on people who couldn't click Tears), it was awesome to re-experience. CoT was sick, in general. As for the whole, it indeed was the first step to current raids. Look at all of the 25 mans...Magtheridon, Gruul's, Serpentshrine...and each one was harder than the next. There was so much to progress through too, progressively :P.

Cataclysm is on the right path, but taking a different route. Bringing back Ragnaros and such is most likely going to be a blast, even though now you can solo MC and have fun with it. I didn't play WotLK but I'm sure the nostalgia there with Arthas and such was fun, just didn't compare to the lore-iffic beauty that was TBC. Cataclysm has done plenty of things right and I'm hoping they bring back more and more fun lore and keep improving as much as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the attunements, it just gave a bit more of an epic feeling to be "allowed" to enter certain raid instances..

I'm still loving the Aran fight, don't move in Flame Wreath, always funny to hear everyone scream on vent when someone kills the raid :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say the thing that impressed me the most with cata is how involved you are in the storyline. Blizz seems to have gone out of their way to give you a progression of events an an immersive experience. That was something strongly lacking in TBC. TBC was a lore/story clusterfuck from space. In terms of raiding content, blizz has a difficult job. Raid content needs to be approachable and challenging. Creating heroic/normal modes is really their way of trying to make everyone happy. Ugly little bastard joe who knows enough not to stand in poogas is happy because he can clear the content, meanwhile ultra mega chicken can try and not be 1shot on heroic mode while smokin achevs. It's hard to make 14mil people happy. I know a lot of people that hated BC because the ramp up to new content was so extensive they got sick of running kara over and over trying to gear up to do BT. If i have one complaint, its the return of rep grinding. I find it irritating as fuck that for each toon I play, there are atleast 3 factions I HAVE to build up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nielah View Post
    The starter content PVE wasn't that much, but the PVP was divine. Say what you say, I found it the most balanced, even though shamans were crying for some love through out the expansion.
    From the looks of it, you played a druid. Of course you'd find it balanced. Not trying to flame, but really.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by dbgokux4 View Post
    I think TBC was the most lore-oriented and fun in that sense. It took you to Medivh's Tower (Kara), fight with Vol'Jin (ZA), let you go back in time to witness the events of WC3 from a different PoV (Hyjal), take down Illidan (BT) and try to get his sick Warglaives, take out Kael'Thas (The Eye), fight Lady Vashj (SSC), and take out Kil'Jaeden kind of (Sunwell)! Those are some epic figures in lore that you got to contest with, Illidan especially...who doesn't love that guy.
    QFT

BT is the greatest raid instance ever created, i mean the way the instance goes from a fun begining to and epic end is just the best way to execute an idea... and Illidan is by far the best character (lore and look wise) in WoW.

While i feel BT was great i have really good memories about Vanilla, WotLK was a dissapointment right from the start... recycling Naxx was like starting with the wrong foot...

If we go to PVP, i have to admit that i enjoyed PVP until Arenas and Cross servers BG... say what you say it was fun to run premades in WSG and AB while arena killed that and also werent as fun as i though they would be (and no, i werent a mage double trinket+insta pyro'ing people).

Cata has been great so far. I like where the game is going altho i think it's too late to kill that lazy/baddie mindset WotLK implanted in the average player

i didnt like tbc zones. it seemed to pretty purple wonderlandish, the raids where fun though
    i liked wrath zones (not questing but zones), the raid content was meh
    Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Nye View Post
    I kinda share the OPs views. While Cataclysm is fun to a certain extend, it's just no longer the 'mind = blown' feeling I had in TBC.

But I don't blame it on Blizzard for doing a crappy job (they did a great one). It's just that the time is due and everything gets repetitive, no matter what you do. After 5-6 years of 'kill X of Y' and 'gather A of B' there will always be a point when you get that burn out syndrome.
    Talking about raiding, I think it actually is Blizzard's fault for doing a crappy job. I still go to Karazhan often simply because the environment and atmosphere there is awesome, it feels like a "real" place, the same goes for BT and MH. Compare those to the raid instances we have now, boss rooms connected by corridors that, at least for me, have zero atmosphere and seems to scream out "I'm just here to hold some bosses" - it's like Blizzard completely stopped doing environment design in raid instances.

The second reason is the new 10/25 easy/hard mode system. In TBC you always felt like you were progressing, killing a boss would open up a completely new part of the instance and a new boss for you to see. Now we have to grind everything twice, when doing normal modes you're just thinking "we'll lets just kill this stuff fast so we get to the real fights" and when you get to the "real fights" there's nothing new for you to see in the instances.

I never did PvE much, but I can imagine the thing people miss alot without thinking about it is that there was no HC mode. The better player got to be one of few to experience the most epic and hard bosses, something that most people never got to experience. Now everybody gets to do everything, everyone and their grandmom pugged the kingslayer achiv, a joke. Nothing epic involved at all. And PvP, not much to say. It was simply so much more fun back then (played on a tbc priv server a week ago, having ALOT more fun there with all the bugs and rude people than I have on live cata). This game is heading in the wronnnng direction and trying the cata 10day trial made me realize I don't miss this WoW any at all. I understand that they want to make the game fun for even the most braindead of all dumb retards, but why won't they just open up TBC servers so that the people who is looking for a gaming experience (and not a selfesteem-boost-service for retards) can play there while the rest plays on cata? I can't see why they don't give the option!!

Deleted
    vanilla > Cata > Wrath > TBC
    imo

I loved 40man raids so much, but I think Cata is a step in the right direction in most cases... but I really really hated TBC in so many ways... only good about it was BT and SWP, but that's just my oppinion

Quote Originally Posted by Nielah View Post
    Let me guess. You were playing a resto druid back then.

Yeah.

'Balanced'.