Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Keybinds possibly hurting my throughput?

As of a couple days ago I have completed 12/12 normal. I have just recently been worrying about how my bindings may be hurting me simply because how weird they are. They seem to work really well for the most part (aside from aching wrist) but would like some input on what everyone else thinks.

I have been using these binding for the entire existence of my paladin, so they have come second nature.

Posted link because I wasn't sure on the rules of pic sizes.

http://tinypic.com/r/ab7dht/7

Not seeing anything wrong with them, to be honest. That seems to be a very basic setup. Personally, I mainly use the standard 1-9, modified my shift/ctrl and a few extra random buttons around my keyboard. Works for me, but I don't suppose I really do anything in-game at the moment that requires keybinding either way.

Uhm, why are you using only 1-5? You don't have the Razer Naga? ? Use q e r too. Strafing can be done by holding right button and pressing a/d respectively so you don't need q and e

Wait, you solo'd 12/12 normal?D:

On a more serious note:
    Yes, in my onion, I think that those keybinds are hurting your throughput. They're not even mouseover macroes! That means you click-heal... click-heal.. Need to change target? Find new target-Click--Heal. I think you will have better throughput with mouseover macroes, where you just hover your mouse over the player and press the key. That's how I heal.

---------- Post added 2011-01-25 at 04:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Uhm, why are you using only 1-5? You don't have the Razer Naga? and what's with all the s-x bindings? Use q e r instead
    I'm not only using 1-5 and I DO have a naga. I've just been using these forever. I basically use 1-5+shift 1-5.... I feel like i have the best mobility this way.

Quote Originally Posted by xcitu View Post
    Wait, you solo'd 12/12 normal?D:

On a more serious note:
    Yes, in my onion, I think that those keybinds are hurting your throughput. They're not even mouseover macroes! That means you click-heal... click-heal.. Need to change target? Find new target-Click--Heal. I think you will have better throughput with mouseover macroes, where you just hover your mouse over the player and press the key. That's how I heal.
    I've been looking in to adding clique to grid.. but i still have to stop moving and hover grid to even cast instants.
    Last edited by Lythos; 2011-01-25 at 10:46 PM.

Then use the rest of the naga's buttons! B4 B5 B3, and 6-12

use r because it's a great keybind. Also: i dont know how to do it, but i think it's possible; if you can move shift, alt and ctrl to your mouse it would probably help your aching wrist =)
    Last edited by Lolzzor; 2011-01-25 at 10:59 PM.

After running a couple instances mouse-over healing just feels sloppy and slower.. any other suggestions?

Mouseovers will feel worse when you've only used them for less than 1% of your healing career
    You need to stick at a system, give it a couple weeks at least

Also the main reason that'll be hurting your wrist is the sheer amount of shift, depending on your hand size and keyboard position it may be more comfortable to use alt or ctrl for some of them but I can't really suggest any that are super amazing

Currently I'm using 1-9 (no naga, 789 are things I don't mind stretching for)
    Using Ctrl+1-6, `, \, Z, V and G along with a full set of 6 mouse button binds with ctrl modifiers
    With these I very rarely get cramp in either hand and my healing tools are very evenly spread across both inputs with the vast majority of spam on single button presses and most cooldown abilities on ctrl modifiers

You would probably benefit most from taking Crusader Strike off of 1 and swapping Hammer/DL and Flash/HL
    My current setup in that regard is 1-4+V = FL/HL/DL/J/HS, with WoG on mouse5 and DoL on mouse8

Deleted
    I move with TFGH, who beats that ^ ^

Pretty handy to have all keys close, without having to use the shift- or control modifiers.

My pinky naturally rests on shift, so that's why I use it. But I'm moving my main heals to 1-4 and will tweak from there.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Main heals/abilities should never be on a bind with a modifier imo, like Divine Light ,Holy Light , Light of Dawn , LoH , Holy R. in your ss.
    Also try bind Divine prot (glyphed) , it's really good to be able to react fast to (huge) incoming damage..

Personally i recommend geting clique. I have all my healing spells bond to it and then other non healing spells//other things keybound. However, i believe that if something works then keep using it because it's become a habit (you are use to spells being where they are), so it will take time to readjusted to a new set up and you may find yourself trying to use a spell thats no longer there.

Deleted
    Your CD macro isn't binded? Aura mastery in 9? Holy Wrath, Mana Torrent, Guardian of the Ancient Kings and Divine Protection not binded?

...why are you even asking? You should bind all those to proper keybinds asap.

I use mouseover macros+grid for healing, it saves you the time of clicking your healing target. It isn't necessary for good output, but it's something I've found to be helping me loads.

My keybinds are:

~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 t + shift modifiers on all. These are primary.
    q r g h x v and Shift+F

I run a Steelseries MMO Cataclysm mouse, so I've also got several binds on it. Below are my binds (shift in parenth's)

` - Vent 3 - Holy Light (Beacon of Light)
    1 - Holy Shock (Seal of Insight) 4 - Divine Light (Aura Mast)
    2 - Flash of Light 5 - Light of Dawn (Divine Plea)
    6 - Word of Glory T - Hammer of Justice (Arcane Torrent)

q - Dispel with mouseover macro option built into it. Only mouseover I use.
    r - Holy Radiance (Lay on Hands) g - Divine shield (Hand of Prot)
    h - Unused at the moment x - consecrate
    v - Unused at the moment Shift-F - Hand of Freedom
    shift-D - Hand of Salv

Bound to mouse - Mount/flying, divine favor, holy wrath, tyrande's doll, avenging wrath, GoAK. Mousewheel up is judge, down is crusader strike, and shift wheel back is Hammer of wrath. Also have my hand of sac (divine protection) bound to a button with a shift mod to do the divine prot so it's all one button.

I "click heal" like you do, targetting and moving onto the next. To be honest, it's just whatever your personal play style is. I would give a SLIGHT edge to using mouseover macro's to heal, but only because you can leave your target on other things without worrying about it. BUT it's not worth wrecking your current playstyle and the capabilities you have currently to jump for. The dispel mouseover is borderline useful, I probably snagged 3 or 4 more dispels in Baradin Hold then I ever did before. I don't lose any effectiveness from clicking through names. If you're fast and have great reflexes, then you're already operating smoothly anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    You don't have the Razer Naga? ?
    Way to assume that everyone should have a 100 euro mouse :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lythos View Post
    As of a couple days ago I have completed 12/12 normal. I have just recently been worrying about how my bindings may be hurting me simply because how weird they are. They seem to work really well for the most part (aside from aching wrist) but would like some input on what everyone else thinks.

I have been using these binding for the entire existence of my paladin, so they have come second nature.

http://tinypic.com/r/ab7dht/7
    Your really not even utilizing some of the characters that don't require modifiers.

Here is my UI with all my keybindings: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2069/uploadthis.jpg

[QUOTE=Lythos;10224145]As of a couple days ago I have completed 12/12 normal. I have just recently been worrying about how my bindings may be hurting me simply because how weird they are. They seem to work really well for the most part (aside from aching wrist) but would like some input on what everyone else thinks.

[QUOTE=Lythos;10224145]

you can also use mouse wheel up and down plus shift mouse wheel up/down (bind scroll view out to control mouse wheel) that open up four very fast smooth binds. I like to use them on emergency spells and instant casts.

I would also recommend mouse over macros. if it takes say 1/10 of a second to click on a target and start casting, every ten target changes will save you a second. imagine how much you could heal in a 5 min fight. with mouse over, once you start casting on the mouse over you can start moving to the next target without effecting the spell you are casting. your basically able to preselect the next target.

Quote Originally Posted by Berk
    once you start casting on the mouse over you can start moving to the next target without effecting the spell you are casting. your basically able to preselect the next target.
    and u can also press the next heal key since wow is queing the next spell

Deleted
    You might want to think about using the function keys (F1, F2, F3, F4). On my keyboard they are right above my normal number keys, without a space in between. Even with a space they are good options for longer cd's.

Also if you have never used mouseover macros there really is no reason to start now, click does not have to be a reason to be slower. Ive been click-healing for 6 years so the click on a player and pressing of a key happen pretty much as the same time. Most of the time you are targetting a new player while casting a heal anyway. It would prob hurt you more if you tried switching to mousover if you have never done it before.

For me your keybindings seem a bit weird, I preffer to have my main heals on the normal 1-5 keys. I have FoL, HL, DL, HS, Cleanse on 1-5. But thats just personal, so whatever works for you should be fine. What you do seem to have missing is the binding of Hand of Sacrifice though, thats a pretty important spell. You could make a macro of it that combines HoS with Divine Protection to limit the dmg taken, but that isnt a must with PotI working as well as it does.
    Last edited by mmoc0f2e365170; 2011-01-26 at 09:08 AM.