Boomkins and cloth

I was wondering if there is a point at which wearing cloth might be better for your boomkin. Example, my wife is having a rough time picking up leather caster drops, but cloth just falls like rain. If she can put together a few really nice cloth items to upgrade some leather items that are 333 or below is it worth it? I thought that I read this somewhere, but I'm unable to locate said information. Thanks in advance.

Doubtful, the 5% intellect bonus would outweigh it, since intellect is a primary stat. The only way it could possibly be worth it is if you upgraded 2 teirs on every piece of gear, which if you keep it with leather, you still gain even more int.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

By wearing just one piece of cloth you'll lose 5% of intellect, which translates into less spell power and less mana.

Don't take my number for granted but I think that to offset the 5% loss the upgrade has to be around the 200 points in Intellect alone, if I remember the calculations done by another poster on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatani, The Hat View Post
    Do NOT, use leather, on, a, druid, ever, period.
    You mean cloth right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    You mean cloth right?
    Uuh, yeah, cloth, whatever, its late. :x

10+ Year Old Account
    I made the mistake while leveling to take a pair of green cloth bracers from a quest because well.. they were better. But I was able to quickly replace them by farming Blackrock Caverns. (Very nice piece off of the purple beamed boss). I am sorry I cannot remember the name. Quite tired.

It's pretty simple really. Have her equip the piece and pay attention to how much her int drops. You'll have to do some quick math but the answer is in the stats. I would suspect that if she had 3 or so upgraded cloth pieces it might be better than her current leather. However, if she gets an equivalent leather piece for any of her cloth, she might be better to drop all her cloth and put on her old lower level leather again (along with the new leather piece if that makes sense).

In general, it's probably easier just to ignore cloth.

For one thing, your wife should not be wearing cloth past 40

pre-40, i can understand cloth being hard to come by

you do not get any good caster leather drop till the early 50s from sunken temple.

even with leather working, the pickings are still very very slim.

at 85, your wife should be able to get many of the nice JP pieces offered.

Such as chest, helm, shoulders.

Also, have her look at the rep gear, hyjal has both back and gloves, wildhammer/dragonmaw has belt and neck, earthen ring and ramakhan i believe have a few items as well.

its not worth giving 5% int over a piece of cloth with the same stats as its leather counter part.

oh, pick up oasis bracers from AH

they are the only 333 leather caster bracers till you run heroic BRC.

In conclusion, here's a list of gear you should be able to get at 85 pre heroic

Halls of Origination drops trinket, boots, belts, and 1her mace, ring, farming this place should be priority.
    Lost City of Tolvir drops an optional trinket (it depends on how much you like the passive), bracers (Oasis bracer is a trash drop here)
    Grim Batol drops staff, chest, trinket
    Hyjal rep gives gloves and cloak at honored and revered
    Earthen Ring rep gives leg at revered
    Ramakhan rep gives ring at revered
    Therazane gives ring at revered
    Wildhammer/Dragonmaw gives ring at revered and neck, belt at exalted
    JP vendor sells belt, chest, helm, back, ring, and offhand.

IN SHORT, SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET FULL LEATHER GEAR BY THE TIME SHE HITS 85.

if she isnt, shes doing something wrong.

Heck, even leatherworker make leather gear.

LESSON of THE DAY: USE WOWHEAD OR ALTAS LOOT, FARM INSTANCES FOR DROPS IF YOU HAVE TO, YOUR ARMOUR SPECIALIZATION IS NOT WORTH GIVING UP.

AND ABOVE ALL ELSE, PRAY TO THE RNG GODS OF YOUR BELIEF
    Last edited by DiscoMoonkin; 2011-01-26 at 05:36 PM.
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"