Strange sound issue w/ PC in general, buzzing sound if silent

Been having a strange issue with my desktop PC lately. If there is little to no sound for a period of time, there will be a sudden buzzing noise in the speakers, a little bit like a loose connection between wires or feedback. This issue recently started, but I do not know the source of the problem. I'm suspecting it's a cord from somewhere causing this or a bad connection somewhere along the line. I also had a small accident with my headset where a screw broke apart from the headset at a critical joint in the headset, it did expose some internal wires, but it didn't strip the jacket around them it seemed. I managed to repair the headset with some rubber cement in the screw's hole, and nothing sounded strange since then, until now. It may be my Astro mixamp causing this, but I am not so sure. Any Astro Mixamp owners also experiencing this?

Equipment used:

- Creative SoundBlaster Audigy-2 ZS sound card, drivers are latest straight from Creative Labs' website. Sound card has been in two PCs to date, originally purchased in early 2005.

- Astro A-40 Headset + Mixamp, ca. late 2009 model (right before they released the updated Mixamp for 2010).

If necessary, I can pull the sound drivers chunk out of my DXDiag file to post.
    Last edited by Gunmoku; 2011-01-26 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something involving a busted headset.

Is the buzzing sound coming from your speakers or your headset? Maybe both? Try connecting to your onboard sound and see if it goes away. Does your Astro have optical input? If so, connect it to something with an optical output if your computer doesn't have one. Just some quick troubleshooting methods.

The buzzing sound usually indicates a poor connection. You mentioned that you used rubber cement as a repair this may be the problem, as the adhesives will eventually eat away at the coating of the wires and can corrode the connections. Test this out simply by plugging in another headset or PC speakers.