Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Yeah 900+ watts is overkill for a single GPU setup, unless you're planning on overclocking like crazy.

Or run 8+ Physical Drive raid. with 3 Optical drives and SLi

just picked up the 560 ti off of newegg (like 5 minutes ago) as well as my i5 2500k, having them both overnighted. have all my other parts sitting here in their boxes till then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazdek View Post
    just picked up the 560 ti off of newegg (like 5 minutes ago) as well as my i5 2500k, having them both overnighted. have all my other parts sitting here in their boxes till then.
    Grats! Be sure to update us of your OC with the 2500

Quote Originally Posted by fews View Post
    you will need a much, MUCH beefier power supply. 900-1100 watts
    No.

Im running dual 6950's with an OC 6 core AMD and 8 gigs of ram on a Bronze certified PSU 700 watt, and I still have some headroom. For those interested in benches of these cards, here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4135/n...e-250-market/5

As it stands now the 560 = best bang for buck. I chose 2gb ATi cards tho, as hopefully the 2 gigs will give a little longevity as 1gb cards can cause framerate crashes in shader heavy games like Crysis, which btw, looks absolutely nuts at max everything =P
    Last edited by ld420; 2011-01-28 at 06:10 AM. Reason: oops, link mistaaake all good now =)

well okay i guess im wrong then. im running a single gtx 260 (old i know) with a core duo system... the PSU calculator I used suggested a 800-900 watt PSU when i built it. i guess technology has gotten more efficient in the last couple of years.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by fews View Post
    well okay i guess im wrong then. im running a single gtx 260 (old i know) with a core duo system... the PSU calculator I used suggested a 800-900 watt PSU when i built it. i guess technology has gotten more efficient in the last couple of years.
    Or the PSU calculator you used was quite flawed. There's not a single-GPU setup (with less than like 8 hard drives... be reasonable here) a decent 600-watt power supply can't handle. I ran my GTX 260 + Core 2 Duo system with three hard drives on an old 550-watt power supply for two years.

To OP and the other guy that asked: it's been said already, but in my opinion the GTX 560 looks like the best price / performance card out there currently. If your power supply is older, however (I'd say more than about three years for a good unit) or a cheaper model, it'd be good to upgrade anyway. Seasonic makes some very nice models, Corsair uses their internals for their drives I believe.

The GTX 560 Ti is better than the 6950. Not only is it quieter, it overclocks like a beast. I have seen the GPU up past the 1Ghz area.

Unless you are rolling eyefinity with the 6950 the 560 is better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    The GTX 560 Ti is better than the 6950. Not only is it quieter, it overclocks like a beast. I have seen the GPU up past the 1Ghz area.

Unless you are rolling eyefinity with the 6950 the 560 is better.
    This is not entirely true. If you want a manufacturer designed/overclocked GTX560, it will set back around £225. If you want a reference designed 6950 2GB card, the cheapest will set you back £225.

Price to performance wise these cards are similar. We're talking about a difference of 1-2 frames in some games. This DOES not make the GTX560 price/performance ratio king or anything of the sort. If anything else what this card seems to indicate is the following,

consumers who want to purchase an Nvidia card who don't particularly want to fork out the amount of cash for a GTX570 but still look for impressive performance can do so by investing in the GTX560. AMD have had this option for a couple of months now in the form of the 6950.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2011-01-28 at 06:29 PM.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Been using this card for about a week now and I love it to death. Got the MSI Twin Frozn II one from Newegg

I'm a God, just not the kind you should tangle with.

Deleted
    what about the super OC version by gigabyte

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253955