Leveling rogue vs leveling casters (80-85)

I did level my rogue as combat from 80-85 and it was a bit of pain. Remember Uldum quests and mobs, i had lot of downtime, I was taking a lot of damage even specced in armor increase talent and imp recouperate. Also had problems with even 2 mobs at same time, almost impossible with 3 it killing spree was on cd, vanish was my best friend then in Uldum at lvl 82 i had mix of icc277 gear and some cata blues. And it was taking ages to kill a mob
    Now im leveling affli lock and frost mage, both at lvl 82 in Uldum and difference is more than evident. Mage kills mobs before they even touch me, pulling 3-5 mobs with no problem, no downtime for mana or health. Dont even need to use all of slows frost mage has, mostly only pets freeze. Lock is different story - Dotting everything in range, taking heavy beating from them and end up with 5 dead mobs and hp at max, need only 1 life tap to regain mana. no downtime really.

So, my question is: Was I doing smth wrong with rogue? That downtime was killing me, rogue was just so weak against melee mobs, taking so much dmg (sometimes 15-20k hits) and mobs die so slow.. It was like their armor is so high, maybe thats the reason they are easily killed with spells than with white hits

Deleted
    well, i know what you mean, i lvled my rogue in assa, it take much longer take mob down then with my mage and shammy, but everytime in the end i have full HP ... then just resteath and another mob i rly enjoyed lvling of my rogue

edit: i started with this http://www.wowhead.com/talent#fcIf0sGzoGobZ0h and continue in sub tree

Deleted
    I levelled my rogue as combat as well - And with points in Deadly Momentum so that SnD plus Recuperate would refresh every time I killed a mob, meaning I could spend those CP on Eviscerate/Envenom instead (beautiful thing about Envenom and other poison attacks is exactly that they ignore armor). I can't see that you did anything wrong - I think proper application of Blade Flurry made 2-3 mobs relatively easy, BUT I have to agree that as a caster I down mobs a lot quicker.

Levelling a Destruction Warlock right now and I carve through mobs like nothing before they even get to do anything serious. Same experience with Elemental Shammy.

But then as a rogue you have a lot of other neat tricks in your bag that others don't... Whereas I spent more time downing mobs, I saved a LOT of time by stealthing my way to unique quest mobs etc. It's a trade-off I guess

lvl sub. lock the target down and never get touched. treat it like a bg, if you get 2 mobs blind one or shadowdance sap it. you'll become a skilled rogue this way.

pretty much is the rogue story from teh start of WoW. before cata we didn't had a self heal, now we have recuperate though.

i used it a lot wth the combo i left on the dead mob, but i had a faster leveling after i respecced assassination. as for now combat has a very low damage in comparison, so you take more beating due to more time spent to kill the mob.

next patch should resolve the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no problem with my rogue with 2 mobs but when three it was harder but still managed with blowing all my cd's. I was specced as assasination with imp recuperate too in combat. It might just be that your in combat spec and that its not as good as assasinarion in cata.

Just wanna add i tried Assas spec also, but it didnt give much improvement - it takes time to apply deadly poison and until then i take quite a lot of beating. Even now, in 346 gear and muti spec, told barad dailes arent really easy, 2 mobs pulled and killed and my hp is at 35%.

I have to say; this sounds like a gear rotation thing.

Cheapshot/garotte, then snd immediately if relentless strikes procs an extra CP, rupture, then mutilate, then recuperate

mob should be dead... you should have 90%hp with a 3-4cp recuperate ticking you back to full by the time you engage the next mob.

Two? Evasion and Combat readiness (one after the other), use gouge whenever its up on the alternate mob... continue normal rotation (SND, then RUPTURE, then RECUP, then spare cp on evisc/envenom)

If you're combat?? 1 or 2 points into SnD, don't worry about rupture and put recuperate up second thing... drumming on the mob you should drop a little bit, mitigate with kidneyshot if thats what you're worried about.

I leveled 80 to 85 very fast on my rogue, with literally zero downtime. I mean zero. With deadly momentum and improved SnD and Recuperation, it's just a non-step killfest. But I also have a pocket-enchanter (my pally alt) so I always make sure my gear is enchanted and I also gem anything that has a slot with the best possible gem (+40 agi) the second I can. But I doubt my enchants and few gems slots (while leveling) made that much of a difference. With recuperate always ticking, you should have zero downtime.

I do find that some players are reluctant to use their CD's, thinking they have to save them only for "oh snap!" moments or for bosses/pvp encounters. I say blow 'em as fast as they come off CD. Use blade flurry anytime you have an add, no questions asked. Ditto evasion. Whenever Killing Spree is of CD and I start a fresh fight I just rip that mob to shreds. Why not? And on the off-chance I pull too much just hit the CloS/Vanish macro and start over the way you want to.

I leveled my rogue to 85 much faster than my paladin, and I wasn't even trying to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardonic View Post
    I leveled 80 to 85 very fast on my rogue, with literally zero downtime. I mean zero. With deadly momentum and improved SnD and Recuperation, it's just a non-step killfest. But I also have a pocket-enchanter (my pally alt) so I always make sure my gear is enchanted and I also gem anything that has a slot with the best possible gem (+40 agi) the second I can. But I doubt my enchants and few gems slots (while leveling) made that much of a difference. With recuperate always ticking, you should have zero downtime.

I do find that some players are reluctant to use their CD's, thinking they have to save them only for "oh snap!" moments or for bosses/pvp encounters. I say blow 'em as fast as they come off CD. Use blade flurry anytime you have an add, no questions asked. Ditto evasion. Whenever Killing Spree is of CD and I start a fresh fight I just rip that mob to shreds. Why not? And on the off-chance I pull too much just hit the CloS/Vanish macro and start over the way you want to.

I leveled my rogue to 85 much faster than my paladin, and I wasn't even trying to.
    Ok, i did use CDs, but what when they are on cd? Still taking lot of dmg, and imp.recouperate heals for what 3k every 3 sec, and mob hits for 10-20k every swing. I always had BF up for 2+ mobs, but still they go down slowly and damage taken is high. As someone said, maybe i should go Sub spec and use stealth some more, but still in good gear for lvl 82 mobs were going down too slow to reduce dmg taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    I did level my rogue as combat from 80-85 and it was a bit of pain. Remember Uldum quests and mobs, i had lot of downtime, I was taking a lot of damage even specced in armor increase talent and imp recouperate. Also had problems with even 2 mobs at same time, almost impossible with 3 it killing spree was on cd, vanish was my best friend then in Uldum at lvl 82 i had mix of icc277 gear and some cata blues. And it was taking ages to kill a mob
    Now im leveling affli lock and frost mage, both at lvl 82 in Uldum and difference is more than evident. Mage kills mobs before they even touch me, pulling 3-5 mobs with no problem, no downtime for mana or health. Dont even need to use all of slows frost mage has, mostly only pets freeze. Lock is different story - Dotting everything in range, taking heavy beating from them and end up with 5 dead mobs and hp at max, need only 1 life tap to regain mana. no downtime really.

So, my question is: Was I doing smth wrong with rogue? That downtime was killing me, rogue was just so weak against melee mobs, taking so much dmg (sometimes 15-20k hits) and mobs die so slow.. It was like their armor is so high, maybe thats the reason they are easily killed with spells than with white hits
    IMO you are doing it wrong somehow. Sounds like you had about the same gear i did from raids at 80 to start, and I had no problem with anything. I leveled about 1/3 of the time with a mage as well duoing quests, and yeah some mobs he could kill before I got to them, but I could pull groups and kill them all easily where as he couldn't tank 3 mobs and would have to kite which slowed his damage down a lot. Aff locks have always been one of the most easy mode to level, that shouldnt shock you.

But enough of the comparison to casters, the reason you are doing something wrong is because you say you have downtime and take too much damage. I had recup up pretty much full time with free max duration refreshes and it way out healed any damage I would take from 1-2 mobs. I also murdered everything so I don't see your point about damage. Those new items you got, you sure they were upgrades? I basically didn't touch nearly anything till level 84-85 except my weapon (got the lev 83 fist from SC) and you said you had 277 epics. Did you count the enchants when you compared or enchant your new blue/green items? Did you consider the craptastic value of mastery when comparing?

I wouldn't stealth around... Stealthing around means wasting time not killing in general (yeah you can stealth to the named, but odds are you can fly to it and dismount on top of it regardless of class). I basically didn't stealth at all while going from 80-85 as combat.

Also I don't see the point some one had about sub locking down their target while they kill it. Stuns do no damage and wasting energy and combo points on them is in general a waste of time. I basically didn't stun anything and I still didn't have downtime. Blinding one if you pull multiple isnt killing it faster, and you have no real way to kill multiple mobs at once (same thing with assassination). You could pull 5 mobs or something to make FoK effective but thats probably not the best idea to continiously do.

You do have deadly momentum, imp recup, reinforced armor, and quickening right? And are using double wound?

i first lvled my mage and then my rogue (as ass), my rogue went way faster, might have been cos i knew the quests by then.
    think it was more cos i suck at mage and absolutely love my rogue, even had ilvl of 329 when i hit 85 with rogue, which i certainly didnt have on my mage

I did 80-85 as combat and my experience was the exact opposite. I was soloing the high shaman in twilight highlands at level 84 in leveling greens. I had no downtime and due to deadly momentum I was able to chain pull while keeping my health and SnD up.

Uh... aren't you not supposed to go to Uldum until level 83? That may have been your problem

Quote Originally Posted by gnoka View Post
    Uh... aren't you not supposed to go to Uldum until level 83? That may have been your problem
    This. The difference in difficulty between mobs in Deepholme and Uldum is pretty significant. Also, if you're in Uldum with 80 raid or Hyjal/Vash'jir gear then that is more than likely your problem.

I had issues at the start of leveling (compared to my priest) and downtime until I noticed I'd missed the part in Deadly Momentum that said it also refreshes Recuperate.

Just make sure you're always attacking stuff and that you have a 5pt Recuperate up at all times (Deadly momentum only refreshes it to the original CP duration) and you'll stay above 75% probably only going down about 5% per mob (use evasion during one of the mobs and you'll go back up to full) and keep doing that. Don't lose momentum and you won't have a problem with downtime. It's like leveling with a Warrior and not letting your rage decay.

I personally leveled as Assassination. SnD refreshing on Envenom and Recuperate being refreshed on kill. Basically Garrote, Mutilate, Rupture and Envenom all the way to 85.

Rogues are more dependant on gear than warlocks and mages, so to level in Uldum at level 82, wearing ilvl 277 gear, is not a really good idea. Now, about your Tol Barad dailies... I never had issues with any mob in there, I can kill crocs in 2~3 seconds and I have no issues mobbing 2~4 mobs at once. Actually, I am farming Outlands rep doing level 70 heroics and I have to say my rogue has a much easier time mobbing an entire room than both my mage and my warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post

you had 277 icc gear and had trouble leveling combat? Poor play is probably the issue, you should be shitting on things all the way through, even with major replacements during deepholm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulus View Post
    For those of you reading this thread thinking "I've never met any weird people on WoW", then it's probably you.

I just got done lvling my alt rogue as combat, and I did Uldum @ lvl 84. I had zero issues. Infact it was pretty painless. I just kept recouperate up non-stop and just lol Blade Fury KS combo'ed groups of mobs. My next alt will be to level a prot paladin to 85. It's already pretty lolface in Hyjal with me taking on about 10 mobs and HP not going down.
    KING GAEAMANIA I OF KORGATH!