Thread: Vanilla WoW?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Tell me.. why does pps whine about something ? l2p whiners.
    We're not whining. We're acknowledging that our memory is rather jaded when it comes to things we used to enjoy greatly.
    As for 'L2P whiners': Easy for you to say if you've never played it, innit? If someone says King's Table isn't all that good when compared to, say, Thud, and that someone played both games, then it's not really your place to say they're whining if you've never played King's Table. (Using these as analogy because they're basically the same game. Thud is the Discworld edition of an old Norse game; a revamp of the same game, much in the same way as the newer expansions are a revamp of Vanilla.)

I notice that people always say that it's 100% nostalgia but how can you say that? that is your opinion but who is anyone to say that someone didn't just straight up enjoy Vanilla more than any Xpac? why does it "have" to be nostalgia? People need to learn that their opinions on stuff is almost never the same as someone else.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I notice that people always say that it's 100% nostalgia but how can you say that? that is your opinion but who is anyone to say that someone didn't just straight up enjoy Vanilla more than any Xpac? why does it "have" to be nostalgia? People need to learn that their opinions on stuff is almost never the same as someone else.
    I did enjoy it more. Much more than any expansion, maybe the begining of TBC was also enjoyalble. I just don't like oversimplification. Now it's a tragedy if an instance lasts more than 45 minutes, yet the most fun i ever had in an instance were BRD and BRS runs which took hours. Now if you don't get an item in a raid, it's a failure, yet i never played for items and i couldn't care less if the boss dropped 2 or 4 tokens or items.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Those are the loading sceens? They look WWWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY better then our current loading screens
    Those certainly are the loading screens for Kalimdor & Eastern Kingdoms in vanilla i miss them so much! It had that mystic feeling while u were logging in

to OP: Nostalgia is never good. People think highly of the "past" until they get to enjoy it again and complain how it wasn't that great. Reminds me of the people talking about Goldeneye 64 back in the days....it was an amazing game, but if you replay it after playing any recent shooters, well....eurk!

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who doesn't wish they could go back to vanilla again, has no heart.
    Anyone who wishes they could return to vanilla, has no brain.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

Sometimes I think people just enjoy bragging about being there from the beginning. You see a lot of people mention they were in the original beta too, usually when it wasn't even asked about ;-)

Nostalgia is a big thing, but it's not 100% of the value of vanilla. Some quest chains, for example, were just epic compared to the cataclysm quests that have you traveling 100 yards at most to complete, and lead you to the next modular quest 100 yards away.

Sure it's an improvement as far as convenience is concerned. I only wish that Blizzard didn't decide that ALL epic quest chains spanning continents were the source of all evil and left maybe, 9 or 10?
    If you love someone, you will focus your life on their happiness.

A lot of the fun was also because it was new for everybody and people did more things just for the hell of it or for bragging rights.

I remember on my realm one particular horde player was shouting that he was able to kill any alliance. What happened was that all alliance started hunting him and bragging about how often they killed that horde.

Or just random stuff like raiding Xroads or 1 alliance and 1 horde fighting would turn into 100 people on each side fighting and crashing the server. The opposite site really felt like the enemy back then.

Also, the raids back then were a lot of fun and a lot more difficult. Now for various reasons it isn't that hard anymore. Note though that after 6 years I obviously have the "been there, done that" feeling so for new players they will still feel epic.

Also IMO the gear did mean a whole lot more. It took forever to upgrade in vanilla where now you switch out stuff so often. Once you got something new it gave you a very satisfied feeling. "It took a lot of work but I finally got that piece I wanted" feeling. Now it is just an upgrade on the way to more upgrades and so on.

These days it is all about efficiency. Doing everything with max results in as little time as possible. It sometimes seems to me that everybody is playing to get to the point where they are actually are going to have fun, but never actually reaching that point.

I think what we miss is the community back then. It lacked the sense of entitlement that has developed throughout the expansions. Just because you pay to play the game doesn't mean anyone owes you epics.

Alterac Valley.

Hours, even days.

Ah, memories, all gone.

What i liked about wow it was really a rpg.You have to work to get something good.Not like these days.Epics felt epic.And when nax came out aq and bwl was still hard.Aq event was awesome btw
    I dont know if i would/could play that game right now but then it was real and worth your effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Starcatch View Post
    Epics felt epic.
    I always take issue with this statement, as no one ever associates similar feelings about Rare and Uncommon items. Rares never felt(feel) rare because they were(are) everywhere. Uncommons are rewarded from many quests from level 10 onward and drop often from mobs. Some epics felt absolutely terrible (Lion Horn of Stormwind, Vendorstrike?). Epic is just a classifcation of items. Eye of the Beast and Blackhand's Breadth were kickass trinkets competing with BWL drops and beyond, and they weren't even epic.

Sulfuras isn't even Legendary except in name: it's a rep grind, material farm, and lucky drop. Thunderfury is slightly more legendary since it has its own boss. Atiesh is probably the most legendary Legendary, as from what I can recall at the time the Stratholme boss was quite difficult, but it still involved 40 lucky drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    I always take issue with this statement, as no one ever associates similar feelings about Rare and Uncommon items. Rares never felt(feel) rare because they were(are) everywhere. Uncommons are rewarded from many quests from level 10 onward and drop often from mobs. Some epics felt absolutely terrible (Lion Horn of Stormwind, Vendorstrike?). Epic is just a classifcation of items. Eye of the Beast and Blackhand's Breadth were kickass trinkets competing with BWL drops and beyond, and they weren't even epic.
    Bladefist's Breadth is what I think you're referring to, as Blackhand's Breadth was a quest reward in Burning Crusade and obviously way better.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post
    Bladefist's Breadth is what I think you're referring to, as Blackhand's Breadth was a quest reward in Burning Crusade and obviously way better.
    Negative. Bladefist's Breadth is the HFP reward (seeing as how that's where Kargath Bladefist was located).

10+ Year Old Account
    D'oh. Got my trinkets mixed up.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    You saw an epic drop in a raid such as http://www.wowhead.com/item=18808 you could gurantee that A) All cloth dps would roll and B) all healers (cloth) would roll ... Basicly, HARD to get

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want the old logging screen back and the old music. And old zones as crazy as it sounds. I liked killing my 10 random boars!

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Vanilla wasn't better, the reason you constantly see post about it it's because
    - 4% feel nostalgia about it
    - 1% believe it was a actually better
    - 95% pretend they were playing and they post random quotes from WoWiki or WoWhead's old posts to satisfy their attention-whoring
    1. Nothing was given to you and it was earned
    2. Add-ons..wtf is that? you played with skill and not some add-on carrying you
    3. lore mattered..best dev stories

It is gone trust me and never coming back.

Deleted
    Vanilla WoW will always be my favorite season in the entire game, i play WoW since it's release and i enjoyed playing in vanilla, in PvP i reached rank 11/14 so i had my share of daily honor farming in bgs as well but i also were in a powerful guild with a lot of real life friends and we managed to do a lot of server firsts back then.

So i think that if you were in my place you would have also enjoyed vanilla as i did.

Socialization between horde and alliance were a lot better because bgs were fights among players from same server only so high ranked ppl knew each other. Also we knew what guild had the server first or second or third boss kill without the need of achievements broadcasted server wide and we knew who had a legendary weapon and they weren't many, they were max 4-5 ppl in the entire server but this depends on servers guild raid progress.

Anyway good old times, i would give everything to be again back there with my old guild and friends to continue the raids and for me to continue my pursue for a higher PvP rank.
    Last edited by mmoc651a27ab8d; 2011-05-21 at 09:48 PM.