ok help on my choices :D

ok so as i said in a previous post, right now i am running a Q8200 quad core with 8 gigs of ram, 9800gtx+, and this power supply newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

The upgrades I have planned are (had to make the links un clickable as I do not have enough posts to link webistes yet :S)

Case: http://newegg.com/Product/Product.as...82E16811146059
    CPU: http://newegg.com/Product/Product.as...82E16819115072
    Mobo: http://newegg.com/Product/Product.as...82E16813135279
    Ram: http://newegg.com/Product/Product.as...82E16820231427 (may get 2 of these for a total of 8 gigs)
    heatsink: http://newegg.com/Product/Product.as...82E16835103065
    and an upgrade to windows 7 is $99

for these upgrades $615, i would be using my current video card, psu, and hdd

Another option I found was to get a premade with everything for around 900-1000, this was tempting as this will be my first build and I am a little nervous. I am confident I can get it all togther, just choice of parts that will work togther has me wondering. Any help and advice would be helpful. Thank you as well for all the helpful replies on my other posts

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 03:00 AM ----------

i can also upgrade to a gtx 460 for about 200 dollars bringing that price to 815 to bring it more on par with the pre made build but i would probably need to upgrade my psu for sure then adding prolly another 60-100 dollars
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-01-28 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Fixed links for you!

15+ Year Old Account
    The first thing that hops out at me is the ECS motherboard. I have dealt with them in the past and most of their stuff is garbage. I'd suggest looking at something more like the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 or ASUS P8P67. They're a touch more expensive ($30 more for the Gigabyte, $60 for the ASUS), but they're much higher quality boards.

I disagree in that I've never had trouble with ECS boards (using a heavily modded K7S5A for 3+ years in my Athlon XP system and a handful of other boards in inexpensive builds for friends/relatives). The only time I buy them is when I need something decent in the sub-$60 range though, so I can't comment on their newer midrange products. However, Guru3D has a very favorable review of the particular board the OP is listing.

OP, are you planning on overclocking? How serious are you about it? The power supply you have should be okay for a GTX460/560 and the rest of your hardware, so long as you don't go ridiculous on the clocks/voltages. Still, I hate to skimp on power supplies, and if the one you have is more than a couple years old it might be a good idea to buy a new one anyway.

EDIT: The ECS P67 board still uses the old BIOS instead of UEFI, that being the only downside I could immediately find on the listed board. OP, if you're going to boot off a hard drive larger than 2TiB, clearly stay away from the ECS board. I know the ASUS P67 boards at least use UEFI from top to bottom.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-01-28 at 07:42 PM.

I do not plan on OC'ing right now, however i was talked into the 2500k processor just in case I do, the idea of this build was to reuse some of the newer parts I have bought for right now and upgrade them later. My power supply is almost a year old, and my video card 6 months old (bought it NIB on ebay). So I was hoping to replace those items later, as with hdd, I would only be running maybe a 1TB drive, right now i would stick with my 500gb. In the future more than likely I would be ubgrading to a SSD then to upgrade my hdd seeing as I am nto even close to filling it. If the asus can handle the OC better and has more upgradeability in the future that will probably be the way I go. If I sitck with the 9800 gtx+ will I still be able to have my settings decently high on WoW?

I ran with a 9800GT 512MiB when my GTX260 died, and all I had to do (at 1680x1050 windowed) was turn the antialiasing down a notch to 2x. It, combined with a Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz and 4GiB RAM, was able to run everything on Ultra with only some performance issues in populated areas and 25-man raids. You'll be okay with that card for a little while.

I bought an ASUS P8P67-PRO board to pair with my i5-2500K, and it's been a dream so far, though since most of the overclock is limited to the chipset and processor, the motherboard doesn't matter as much for overclocking. You pay for the features and add-ons, like more SATA-3 or USB 3.0 ports, Tri-SLI support, things like that. One thing I like about the higher end P67 boards though is they generally have more power filtering circuitry, leading to cleaner power for the processor, which does lead to higher overclock stabilities.

If you're buying new memory, I'd recommend two sticks of 2 or 4GiB as opposed to four sticks of 2GiB. I have no numbers to prove, but it seems that two sticks would use less voltage, cause less strain on the memory controller, and allow for more overclocking at the edge of stability. That's just my brain working though, I can't prove that.