Thread: Gems

Gems

which gems would you say are the most common that people buy? im thinking the +40int inferno ruby would be one of the biggest sellers given how many mana classes there are that benefit from int now, but other than that, which others sell that well/used by many classes?

im trying to figure out the best designs to buy that will net me the biggest returns. I know that the biggest return might not come from the most popular gem, but ive had many many +parry gems (for example) which might get me over 50g in profit per gem, but given how they can only be used by tanks, theyre not exactly flying out of the AH so I end up with gems in my bag not making money because theyre not hot sellers. Id rather make 10g per gem quickly than have a 50g profit gem sitting around

also, how quickly do cut meta gems sell compared to the regular gems? slower I would imagine?

My biggest seller believe it or not is Solid Ocean Sapphire

List according to auctioneer sold this week:

1 Solid Ocean Sapphire - Total Amount Sold - 224
    2 Delicate Inferno Ruby - Total Amount Sold - 167
    3 Brilliant Inferno Ruby - Total Amount Sold - 164
    4 Bold Inferno Ruby - Total Amount Sold - 133
    5 Quick Amberjewel - Total Amount Sold - 55

And that is repeating every week since I got the 5th pattern.

And this is about a 15-25g profit per gem sold.

And yes, Meta Gems are selling so stupidly slow I would advise 100% you don't buy the pattern.
    Last edited by Coar; 2011-01-28 at 10:53 AM.

Best selling gem for me is hands down Rigid Ocean Sapphire (40 hit). All hibrid gems combining 20 primary stat with 20 hit also sell well.

Getting hit capped is not that easy this early in the expansion, so there is high demand for hit gems (even though you should try to get hit capped with reforging first before you have to go to gems).

I made nice money with metagems in the last 6 months of WotLK (this was when I took up JC), so my original plan was to focus on them in Cata too, but this turned very quickly out to be a wrong tactic. No idea what changed, but metagems don't sell well.

Take all these with the customary "my server" warning, things might be different on other realms.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leobald View Post
    Best selling gem for me is hands down Rigid Ocean Sapphire (40 hit). All hibrid gems combining 20 primary stat with 20 hit also sell well.

Getting hit capped is not that easy this early in the expansion, so there is high demand for hit gems (even though you should try to get hit capped with reforging first before you have to go to gems).

I made nice money with metagems in the last 6 months of WotLK (this was when I took up JC), so my original plan was to focus on them in Cata too, but this turned very quickly out to be a wrong tactic. No idea what changed, but metagems don't sell well.

Take all these with the customary "my server" warning, things might be different on other realms.
    Heh yeah on my server anything with hit+whatever sold great for a long time due to everyone actually wanting to get their blue socket bonuses now with socket bonuses actually being good, and hit being blue. I also sold a ton of rigid, and overall have probably sold more of that than any other gem. Its not always for huge profit, but every once in a while itll suddenly shoot up to 100g+ and I make a killing :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    What you need to do is see which gems have the least amount of people selling them and will still turn decent gold. It's not an easy process to figure out. If you want a quick, reliable sale, all of the items Coar listed are constant sellers.

does +haste sell as well as +hit and +stam?

im not sure how valuable haste is as a stat now in cata

For fast and easy gold I go with Solid Ocean Sapphire.
    The uncut gem is 5-6G on AH and the cut gem goes for ~20.
    Yesterday I bought 60 uncut Ocean Sapphires for an average of 6g each and cut them into Solids which went up on AH for 20g, 20 of those sold in the first hour, another 30 during the night and the rest I'm guessing will go tonight.
    It's not that big money but it's pretty quick and it's almost guaranteed to sell in the first listing.
    The hybrid gems go for more but they sell a lot less. And the +40 agi and +40 str, sure they sell pretty well too but with the uncut Inferno Ruby going for around 70g and the cut ones go for 60-70 I rather go with the cheaper ones that actually make a profit =)