Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    As a ret who done most of things i could to maximise my dps, and have top200 ret wol for most cata fights, up to top20 on some , i still must say that no mather how much effort we put, we will still be below all other clasess that play on same skill level, so unless you are for some reason emotinaly connected with paladin damage spec like i , and some people are, i would sugest you one of two things.
    If you play ret paladin because you like paladins, go holy spec, it is insane at the moment, best healer by far, and you will enjoy actualy being overpowered instead opposite. If you enjoy dpsing as melee, as knight in shiny plate, roll dk, frost or unholy, you even have option to choose, both are great, and with same effort as you are trying to put now in your pala, you shoud be able easily to pull 4-5 k more dps.
    Yes, i know this post is far from constructive for this topic, but the point is, i started writing it in constructive way, wall after wall of text, and small details that will edge your dps better and better, but at the end of the day, it will still be far from overall optimal dps, and when you pull 20 k dps, while others pull 26-28, or 17k when others pull 22-23, you will eventualy start asking yourself was all of that effort worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Atm you're in holy gear for me but most of the advice here is solid except for one thing. Don't use Avenging Wrath With Zealotry. Wait till wings is done before using Zealotry because combining the two leads to less uses of 3 HP CS --> TV spam. While AW's up(combine it with Guardian and golemblood potion then change your pants at the numbers you do), Priority is Inq > Exo(Art of War proc) > HoW > TV > CS > Judgement > HW > Consecration. Actually that's the normal priority I believe.

ALSO, take out points from Eye for an Eye and toss 1 into Acts of Sacrifice for self cleanse getting rid of roots n' jazz. That helps more than you know. and people say go for 1 point in Eye for an Eye but meh...I chose Selfless Healer since I help out people a little with WoG heals(thus getting a little bonus in damage for a while). Call me a noob if you want but 20% chance to reflect a spell or aoe ability for piddly damage vs. potentially keeping someone from dying AND getting up to 6% extra damage for a little while...hrm...
    About AW + Zealotry, the orginal Retribution guide on the EJ forums had an error in it and has been since corrected, the new cooldown info reads:
    Zealotry
    Zealotry permits Crusader Strike to grant 3 HP per attack for 20 seconds with a 2 minute cooldown. This shortcuts the rotation to CS, TV, repeat. Only delay a CS if you get a free TV from HoL (CS, TV, TV).

Maximum benefit appears derived by using AW and Zealotry together. The HoW and any Exo procs "lose" some TV over the course of the buffs, but the overall damage is superior from the combination.
    Also popping both during the last 20 seconds of guardian will be more of a gain than using them seperatly.

Eye for an Eye and Acts of Sacrifice is personal preference and is really fight dependant. On a fight like Atramedes it does 1.5-2% of my dmg while Acts doesn't help me, on other fights I wont have a use for EfaE and acts will help more, there is no right or wrong here.

Personally I specced out of Selfless Healer a long time ago since the times you should be actually healing others in a raid are very limited unless your healers can't manage. Chimaeron may be an exception here. I did get a use for it at the start of cata tho when healers had problems keeping people alive and I would spent half my time assisting with heals (This were the first 2 weeks of cata). The fact still is that even with the 6% dmg buff you loose dps, it just lowers the amount lost. If you clear for example all content currently in game I am sure that the extra dmg done by eye outweighs the 6% boost, unless you are almost a full healadin, in which case you need to reroll .

Quote Originally Posted by Lepertum View Post
    Eye for an Eye and Acts of Sacrifice is personal preference and is really fight dependant. On a fight like Atramedes it does 1.5-2% of my dmg while Acts doesn't help me, on other fights I wont have a use for EfaE and acts will help more, there is no right or wrong here.
    EfaE contribution to damage done:
    3.5% Halfus
    5.9% Valiona
    2.3% Council
    1.7% Cho'gall
    1.4% Al'Akir
    1.3% Omnitron
    1.5% Maloriak
    2.6% Atramedes
    2.7% Chimaeron
    1.8% Nefarian

EfaE is an essential dps talent, in same way as, say, Blazing Light. If you are not spec into it, you doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisko View Post
    EfaE contribution to damage done:
    3.5% Halfus
    5.9% Valiona
    2.3% Council
    1.7% Cho'gall
    1.4% Al'Akir
    1.3% Omnitron
    1.5% Maloriak
    2.6% Atramedes
    2.7% Chimaeron
    1.8% Nefarian

EfaE is an essential dps talent, in same way as, say, Blazing Light. If you are not spec into it, you doing it wrong.
    I don't think anyone's refuting that E4E is a dps talent or that taking it increases your dps. However, it's far from being a must-have like Blazing Light. The increase is small enough that taking another utility talent like 1/2 Acts of Sacrifice is not a wrong choice (with the exception of Selfless Healer, which is a big dps loss, since you shouldn't be Wogging over TVing). This isn't Wrath anymore where utility has no place in a raid.

I do agree though that at least 1/2 E4E is preferable.

---------- Post added 2011-01-29 at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elamahpla View Post
    tank items have less str? wat. our bis helm right now is a tanking helmet because of the RETARDED amount of str on it vs. others.
    Which is going to get changed. Blizzard has said that they don't want tank items to be desirable for dps, so they are lowering STR budgeting on tank items. Here's the specific one regarding the helm next patch:
    Daybreaker Helm stats have been reallocated, lowering Strength and increasing parry rating.
    Last edited by Fhi; 2011-01-29 at 09:31 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XnDl21MbXo

Not boasting, but at least you can see me in action. I originally made it to show another ret pally how I do things.
    That is CLCret in the middle there. I use Power Auras to display my cool-downs and my Inquisition timer.
    Made from:
    50% Win, 50% LOL, 50% Legend... That is 150% mother*(#^$*!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    However, it's far from being a must-have like Blazing Light. The increase is small enough that taking another utility talent like 1/2 Acts of Sacrifice is not a wrong choice
    No, it's close to Blazing Light in dps contribution.

Blazing Light 2/2: 847935 - 847935*/1.2 = 141k damage
    EfaE 2/2: 124k damage

I don't think anyone's refuting that E4E is a dps talent or that taking it increases your dps. However, it's far from being a must-have like Blazing Light. The increase is small enough that taking another utility talent like 1/2 Acts of Sacrifice is not a wrong choice (with the exception of Selfless Healer, which is a big dps loss, since you shouldn't be Wogging over TVing). This isn't Wrath anymore where utility has no place in a raid.

I do agree though that at least 1/2 E4E is preferable.

---------- Post added 2011-01-29 at 04:27 PM ----------

Which is going to get changed. Blizzard has said that they don't want tank items to be desirable for dps, so they are lowering STR budgeting on tank items. Here's the specific one regarding the helm next patch:
    2/2 e4e is too good not to have. There's no fight that you would need a movement remover on (maybe chog'all but that's arguable)

Also, I was pointing out that someone said his bracers are tanking ones when they aren't. And that as of this post, our BiS helm is still, a tanking one.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Elamahpla View Post
    tank items have less str? wat. our bis helm right now is a tanking helmet because of the RETARDED amount of str on it vs. others.

you're under hit and exp. cap (according to armory), cap those without gemming and chanting for it.

replace your bad gems with good ones, they're cheap.

Use AW when it's off of CD, i.e. every 2 mins, who cares about 5 stack (those who say that it matters are the people who don't parse)

get new profs. mining does nothing for DPS and Herb is minimal vs. what you can have with JC/BS for example.

reforge haste into crit if above exp. and hit cap, if not reforge to them. forge out of mastery into crit or haste if exp. and hit capped.

you say that you can't see gems and chants being a dps loss, it is, more str=more dps.
    First - get hit and exp capped. That's a must - 8% and 26 pts. Next pickup jewelcrafting and blacksmithing for more slots and better strength gems.

This isn't Wrath anymore where utility has no place in a raid.
    As a melee dps, you're obviously not going to be in front of the boss getting cleaved like a noob so most of the raid damage you're taking will be magic...for the most part. It's a toss up for the "elitists" who see it as a pvp talent.

My killing blow once on lady deathwhisper was eye for an eye in wrath, which is pretty comical but it's a reason that I use it. I alternate my builds alot though, I can't pick between those two extra points.

Soapy: Just watched your video! I like your UI. Do you happen to remember what your dps was for that?

Speaking of dps, I'm now pulling between 10k and 13k on bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumie View Post
    Soapy: Just watched your video! I like your UI. Do you happen to remember what your dps was for that?

Speaking of dps, I'm now pulling between 10k and 13k on bosses.
    I did 12-13k in the video. I did about 17k on Argaloth in Baradin Hold...
    Made from:

Deleted

Same problem

Hey guys first time posting here. I cam across this after searching the Internet looking for exactly this sort of info, I was wondering if you might be nice enough to take a look at my retadin on the Azjol-Nerub realm the name is my username (Liseano) as I seem to have the same problem averaging 6/7k I know some of it will be to do with the fact I have pvp gear so obviously am not getting the benefits that I would from pve. I reforged and gemmed what I could and that i need to recap exp. Should i be worried about my haste at all? SInce 4.0.6 I been told that it now goes STR-hit-exp-mastery-crit-haste.

I would really appreciate the advice as I don't know of any other ret pallys and haven't come across any.

Thanx

It's actually Hit, Exp, STR, Mastery, Crit, haste.

If you don't hit anything you are doing 0 DPS...
    Made from:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

Managed to pull 17.1k dps on argaloth 25man with 3 tank equips (2 rep epics cloak and wrist) and tank feet from BoT. Since it's my offspec i got them and it's a heap of mastery on them and the ones i had before were 346tank so i didnt mind tanking them for offspec.
    heres my armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...gbear/advanced
    You think 17.1k dps on Argaloth is good enough from the gear i got? By no means do i say the gear i got is good, it's terrible hence the offspec loot i got. Also we got 4 tanks in our 10man guild and 1 more with tank offspec which didn't want those feet so yeah. Im taking what i get and saving up valor points to get T11 Gloves next week unless Baradin Hold drops retri gloves then ill take the retri chest next week and go 3/5 T11.
    But yeah going way longer than needed.

17.1k dps acceptable for the gear I have? 40% mastery with foodbuff and 58% mastery with trinket active, use it with Zealotery.

---------- Post added 2011-02-24 at 02:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    I did 12-13k in the video. I did about 17k on Argaloth in Baradin Hold...
    Just checked your Armory, you need to drop alot of expertice, change out the expertice coghwheel you got in your engineering head with crit or hit depening on where you want to free up stats to reforge and so on. Haste is lower rated than mastery and crit so any haste you got reforge into crit/mastery accordingly. If you're really elitist on it figure out how much haste you need to get 1 extra crusader strike per minute etc, currently it doesnt scale very well because most fight are so much about movement and any haste you got will only make your CS refresh faster and it might be wasted if you get procs to do templars verdict. Crit and mastery is the highest dps scaling secondary stat we have, Str being our primary stat ofcourse. Some changes to your gear could give you 2% crit and maybe 4% increased mastery damage, not major but every little bit helps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc123 View Post
    First - get hit and exp capped. That's a must - 8% and 26 pts. Next pickup jewelcrafting and blacksmithing for more slots and better strength gems.
    Why not alchemy instead of one of those? It still offers 80 str boost, or I'm misunderstanding something?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Managed to pull 17.1k dps on argaloth 25man with 3 tank equips (2 rep epics cloak and wrist) and tank feet from BoT. Since it's my offspec i got them and it's a heap of mastery on them and the ones i had before were 346tank so i didnt mind tanking them for offspec.
    heres my armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...gbear/advanced
    You think 17.1k dps on Argaloth is good enough from the gear i got? By no means do i say the gear i got is good, it's terrible hence the offspec loot i got. Also we got 4 tanks in our 10man guild and 1 more with tank offspec which didn't want those feet so yeah. Im taking what i get and saving up valor points to get T11 Gloves next week unless Baradin Hold drops retri gloves then ill take the retri chest next week and go 3/5 T11.
    But yeah going way longer than needed.

17.1k dps acceptable for the gear I have? 40% mastery with foodbuff and 58% mastery with trinket active, use it with Zealotery.

---------- Post added 2011-02-24 at 02:47 AM ----------

Just checked your Armory, you need to drop alot of expertice, change out the expertice coghwheel you got in your engineering head with crit or hit depening on where you want to free up stats to reforge and so on. Haste is lower rated than mastery and crit so any haste you got reforge into crit/mastery accordingly. If you're really elitist on it figure out how much haste you need to get 1 extra crusader strike per minute etc, currently it doesnt scale very well because most fight are so much about movement and any haste you got will only make your CS refresh faster and it might be wasted if you get procs to do templars verdict. Crit and mastery is the highest dps scaling secondary stat we have, Str being our primary stat ofcourse. Some changes to your gear could give you 2% crit and maybe 4% increased mastery damage, not major but every little bit helps.
    You are right about my cog, I need to toss Hit in there and reforge a little bit. I tried to get more Exp down, but I have SO MUCH! lol

About your gear, I think you are trying to match sockets too much. You should only match sockets if the bonus is +20 STR or more. Anything else is a DPS loss due to the loss of STR. So all of those Str/Mastery gems you have, convert to 40 Str. Your Relic should have a 40 Str gem as well.
    You might need to reforge some of that Exp back. you are short by 4 points. I would also consider Changing your CS glyph to Exorcism. Uless it's changed a lot since I last read up, it is a DPS increase.

---------- Post added 2011-02-24 at 05:19 PM ----------

Also, I wouldn't use Mastery food... Str food is our best. And pre-pot and pot during Bloodlust with Golemblood potion, more str...
    Made from: