Thread: Dormant cores?

Dormant cores?

Can someone explain this? Have seen people talking about "unlocking cores". Like, unlocking a dual into a quad. What I understand is, dual cores have "dormant cores" which you can enable into a quad. This seems so confusing. I mean, if the CPU indeed has more than 2 cores, why sell it as a dual core and not make it into a quad core from the factory...? Hopefully I make myself clear.

Thanks.

Depends. Only some fall into the category of having restrained cores, like, the Phenom x2s. Or AMDs x3-processors.

Why do it? Most often, you'll get a few CPUs where some cores don't meet their standards. So they lock them, and sell them as a dual/tri-core rather than throwing it away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some AMD processors have disabled cores. Particularly this applies to their 3 core processors, which really have 4 cores. The fourth core is often somewhat defect though. hence why they were sold as 3-core CPUs.

This doesn't apply to all processors in existance. A core 2 duo is exactly what it is and doesn't have extra cores hidden.

I don't know if it applies to processors, but I certainly know that other chips like graphics cards can have more functions than they actually use. This is because there's a more expensive version that unlocks these features. At the end of the day it is cheaper to produce only one type of chip and then cripple half the batch, than to produce two types of chip for two price ranges.

At the end of the day, you're paying for the technology and the research rather than the actual manufacturing cost.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    I don't know if it applies to processors, but I certainly know that other chips like graphics cards can have more functions than they actually use. This is because there's a more expensive version that unlocks these features. At the end of the day it is cheaper to produce only one type of chip and then cripple half the batch, than to produce two types of chip for two price ranges.

At the end of the day, you're paying for the technology and the research rather than the actual manufacturing cost.
    Somewhat true, but the parts are also tested and binned according to their quality, hence why most X3 CPU's 4th core is defective (high leakage, errors, doesn't work at all, shorted cache, etc).
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool... I will take this info for the computer I am about to buy... =D

Your solo nature means that you're very capable of fending for yourself. It also means, however, that you have trouble finding your place in groups. *Completely true! Do you want to be my friend?*

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaren View Post
    Cool... I will take this info for the computer I am about to buy... =D
    Buying a computer on the assumption that the cores will unlock error free isn't a good game plan. Many many of the x2 and x3 processors have locked cores that are faulty. It can be a huge free boost if the system other wise meets your needs though.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    Buying a computer on the assumption that the cores will unlock error free isn't a good game plan. Many many of the x2 and x3 processors have locked cores that are faulty. It can be a huge free boost if the system other wise meets your needs though.
    Indeed. Some functioning are locked to reach quotas, but many are locked because of faulty cores.

It's a hit-and-miss deal. Don't know the percentages, but you shouldn't rely on it.