Thread: Mouse clicker

Mouse clicker

I've been playing wow for about a year now but have always been a mouse clicker for everything I do. I know my rotation 100% and I'm trying to maximize my dps in every way possible. I recently just bought a Logitech G510 keyboard with 18 macro keys on the left side that I can use. I know some of it is preference but can I get some recommendations on the best way to eliminate all the mouse clicking? What keys should I use for movement and strafing? I'm thinking I should be using my right side for movement and my left side where the G keys are for macros. Thanks for your time.

Deleted
    What helped me was switching to the Razer Naga mouse. Mind you, I have very small hands, even for a female. I heard of others that the keypad on the mouse was too small for their hands. It's perfect for me.

for me some clicking is just needed but yea keybinding is great too

Start with 1-6 and the keys around WASD. Then trow in shift combinations =P

Quote Originally Posted by Bubulina View Post
    What helped me was switching to the Razer Naga mouse. Mind you, I have very small hands, even for a female. I heard of others that the keypad on the mouse was too small for their hands. It's perfect for me.

Does the Razer Naga mouse have the two normal, central mouse buttons? It doesn't appear to. Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubulina View Post
    My hands are gigantic and the razer naga works fine for me... there's enough spacing between the buttons to prevent fat fingering them.
    It was a little bit smaller than I had expected but it isn't a problem.

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CColdskool View Post
    Does the Razer Naga mouse have the two normal, central mouse buttons? It doesn't appear to. Just wondering.
    It has left, middle, right clicks... the 12 button keypad on the left thumb, and 2 extras (mouse4 & mouse5) to the left of the left-click button (kind of awkward but still useful... I use them for my pet control on my hunter)
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Left and Right mouse buttons and a scroll wheel, 2 more buttons on the edge of the left mouse button, and then 12 buttons on the left side of the mouse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobzor View Post
    Start with 1-6 and the keys around WASD. Then trow in shift combinations =P
    Great Tip, I start almost like that... I use... 1 to 5, Q,E,R,F,V,C,X,Z,T,G,B...

Your solo nature means that you're very capable of fending for yourself. It also means, however, that you have trouble finding your place in groups. *Completely true! Do you want to be my friend?*

Quote Originally Posted by workhabits View Post
    for me some clicking is just needed but yea keybinding is great too
    any situation in raiding keybinding trumps clicking anything, theres never a time where clicking something is faster than keybinding ...

@OP: If you use WASD for movement try to set all your bindings around/near them so you have very little hand movement.

I myself use QERFVCXZ (Shift/Alt) these My main abilities i use all the time is set to the normal keys with no modifiers then stuff i do sometimes to shift modifier and stuff like buffs are set to alt modifiers. With your G510 keyboard you can set those G Keys to ridiculous keybindings that a normal person can never press in a quick fashion (e.g. Shift+Ctrl+1).

This might be for when your a bit more advanced ... but for me whats kept me from clicking is no action bars .. i keep track of my cd's for my tanking rotation through power auras everything else through forte. Removing your action bars by hiding them really helps you memorize your keybindings .. until then create a small cheat sheet with your keybindings written on them and go from there and learn them and just go with it.
    Thanks Caiti for the Signature and Avatar

Deleted
    As stated above, it's a normal mouse plus 12 additional keys - actually 36 if you count in the SHIFT and CTRL bindings which you can have as well. It changed my playstyle completely, and I don't see myself switching to any other mouse soon

there are two buttons on the side of the left click also, but the "newer" razer naga has 2 buttons below the scroll instead. Similar to lachesis and other mice

I have a g-15 keyboard and I never really use the macro keys. They can be programmed to do 'neat' stuff but this might be against the ToS since it can be considered 'automated' playing and could yield an unfair advantage. The truth is they just aren't really necessary.

I've talked a few people into making the switch. There are more abilities than realistically possible key binds for most classes so most people are probably doing some sort of key bind/click hybrid. The idea is to bind your most important or most used abilities. 1-5 or 1-6 are what most people use naturally based on their hands and keyboard. A good place to expand is with shift 1-5/6 and later ctrl and alt. I picked up a new mouse with 6 buttons. With shift, alt and ctrl modifiers this added 8 new binds over my old 4 button mouse. Using modifier keys may take some getting used to but it does make things easier in the long run.

If you want to start small with baby steps the first thing everyone should do is remove keyboard turning from A and D as default and map them to strafe left/right then use Q and E for your first two new keybinds. Once you get used to that you can throw shift+Q and shift+E in the mix and take it from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others said slowly add more and more. Practice and force yourself to use them to get used to them in something not that important like bgs or a heroic or 2.

Deleted
    Well how its going we will need voice commands soon.Just imagine "cast this cast that cast oh S*** stupid hunter i told you to cast this first..."
    On Topic i really get huge problems with keybinding this expansion most because i dint have Razer with another 20 keys

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepi View Post
    This might be for when your a bit more advanced ... but for me whats kept me from clicking is no action bars .. i keep track of my cd's for my tanking rotation through power auras everything else through forte. Removing your action bars by hiding them really helps you memorize your keybindings .. until then create a small cheat sheet with your keybindings written on them and go from there and learn them and just go with it.
    I am not a clicker, but i do not agree with this suggestion. Getting rid of the action bars is, in my opinion, a very risky thing to do. I know you sid you use power auras etc. for your cd's, but nothing beats a good ol' action bar imo. What you need to do is just stop using your mouse for anything but movement. As an old Doom, Wolfenstien, Quake player i've never understood the clicking mentality, so maybe i'm missing the mark here...

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    Well how its going we will need voice commands soon.Just imagine "cast this cast that cast oh S*** stupid hunter i told you to cast this first..."
    On Topic i really get huge problems with keybinding this expansion most because i dint have Razer with another 20 keys
    I use the keypad, 1-= and shift + 1-9 for all my bindings. Yes this means i'm a keyboard turner (oh noes) but i'm thinking about changing a few of my bindings to change that here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    I am not a clicker, but i do not agree with this suggestion. Getting rid of the action bars is, in my opinion, a very risky thing to do. I know you sid you use power auras etc. for your cd's, but nothing beats a good ol' action bar imo. What you need to do is just stop using your mouse for anything but movement. As an old Doom, Wolfenstien, Quake player i've never understood the clicking mentality, so maybe i'm missing the mark here...

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 08:58 PM ----------

I use the keypad, 1-= and shift + 1-9 for all my bindings. Yes this means i'm a keyboard turner (oh noes) but i'm thinking about changing a few of my bindings to change that here soon.
    When someone is a clicker and has been for a very long time ... it will be harder on them having a physical bar showing, mind you some people are different than others. I never had this issue since i always used keybindings for everything ever since the game launched and any other previous games i played on the pc.

I have had friends where they removed their action bars from plain view only making them appear on mouse over and they have never looked back and have never clicked anything else when they play hell they even keybound their mounts foods buffs flasks stances/auras .. Everyone is different when they play the game, some are not comfortable not seeing their action bars because they are tied to it .. some find other ways to view their cd's and still have plain view of whats going on around them.
    Thanks Caiti for the Signature and Avatar