Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Am I doing anything Wrong?

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the more hardcore endgame raiding scene, and I'm still trying to learn my class inside and out.
    I want to improve my performance so I was wondering If anyone had any tips on what I can do to my gear/gemming/reforging that will help me out.
    I know a few of my pieces aren't enchanted, I'm working on those mats right now.

Here's my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...reyyn/advanced

Currently my plan is to save up for the T11 Legs as those seem to be a higher upgrade.
    I'm also trying to weave in 4pc PVP until they nerf it.
    I try to reforge myself to keep from going too far over Hit cap, I'm not sure if this is a common practice.
    Well any help is appreciated

10+ Year Old Account
    www.Femaledwarf.com

Greatest hunter tool ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    It would appear the world is retardeding at a pace much more rapid than previously anticipated.

Your gemming seems a bit weird. 10agi>20crit and you reforge hit, not gem it (unless the set bonus is = or > than the 40agi gems).

Enchant your chest too.. Tia's grace is better than Grace of Herald if you have one in your bag.

Yeah I'll agree with pyro here. In your hands, legs, and feet, replace those gems with +40 agi ones. By doing this you will gain 40 agi overall. If you drop below hit cap because of losing your hit hybrid gems you can reforge it back. If you ever pick up a piece like tier chest (and I'm sure many others) you will see a blue +20 agi socket bonus...these bonuses are worth using an agi/hit hybrid but not the +10 agi socket bonuses. With whatever your socket bonus and gem agility levels add up to you just dont want to net yourself a loss with that number if you do not use a +40 agi gem. Other than that nice gear and good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuadu View Post
    Yeah I'll agree with pyro here. In your hands, legs, and feet, replace those gems with +40 agi ones. By doing this you will gain 40 agi overall.
    40 Agi = ~120 dps

40 hit = ~ 80dps
    40 crit = ~ 36dps

That's a FRIGGING MASSIVE UPGRADE ...

If you drop below hit cap because of losing your hit hybrid gems you can reforge it back. If you ever pick up a piece like tier chest (and I'm sure many others) you will see a blue +20 agi socket bonus...these bonuses are worth using an agi/hit hybrid but not the +10 agi socket bonuses.
    30agi + 20 hit > 40 agi.

To the OP, I'm not a fan on your spec.
    That might be the one thing I look into if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Psii View Post

30agi + 20 hit > 40 agi.
    Just...no. Especially with some of his gear not reforged with haste and mastery sitting there. Reforge for hit > gemming for it in any way. Exeption being maybe for the +20 agi bonus.

Edit for Psi, I armoried you...nice gear, and nice 8.01 hit percentage but how you got there made my eyes bleed. You reforged into some hit on some pieces but on others you actually reforged out of it, also you gemmed for 120 of your hit...and also gemmed for mastery. For the love of hunters everywhere, and if you care about your dps, please gem agility. If you dont...then continue on good sir.
    Last edited by Nuadu; 2011-01-29 at 04:21 PM.

Just...no. Especially with some of his gear not reforged with haste and mastery sitting there. Reforge for hit > gemming for it in any way. Exeption being maybe for the +20 agi bonus.
    No, this isn't true.
    Reforging lesser stats into better stats is all what it's about.
    How you get there doesn't matter.
    Edit for Psi, I armoried you...nice gear, and nice 8.01 hit percentage but how you got there made my eyes bleed. You reforged into some hit on some pieces but on others you actually reforged out of it, also you gemmed for 120 of your hit...and also gemmed for mastery. For the love of hunters everywhere, and if you care about your dps, please gem agility. If you dont...then continue on good sir.
    Reforging haste to hit, then hit to crit is a dps gain.

I already did the calc on Femaledwarf, regemming pure agi is a 50dps upgrade.
    Not really worth my time.
    I'll of course do it when the agi/crit meta comes out with 4.0.6, but until then, everyone can continue to undervalue the gain that the 3% crit damage increase gives us.

My gemming for Mastery is an error, I did that really early on as I figured Mastery + Hurricane + dots > crit, but it isn't lol.
    Was just waiting to re-gem with 4.0.6.
    Last edited by Psii; 2011-01-29 at 05:11 PM.

When you say no that isn't true which part are you refering to? I agree 100% that reforging a lesser stat into a greater stat is the way to go. I am saying that if he needed hit and still had un-reforged gear with haste and mastery on on he should be reforging that for hit before he ever gems for it.

Also, it matters how you get there if your someone who min/maxes. If you dont care then it's no big deal obviously. However, a hunter gemming for hit (to include a +40 hit only gem), crit and mastery will mind boggle anyone in their right minds.

When you say no that isn't true which part are you refering to?
    The 30 agi + 20 hit > 40 agi.
    That is a 10 dps gain.
    I agree 100% that reforging a lesser stat into a greater stat is the way to go. I am saying that if he needed hit and still had un-reforged gear with haste and mastery on on he should be reforging that for hit before he ever gems for it.

Also, it matters how you get there if your someone who min/maxes. If you dont care then it's no big deal obviously.
    Gemming and reforging are all the same.
    I prefer gemming for highest dps gain as it's more configurable then reforging is.
    However, a hunter gemming for hit (to include a +40 hit only gem), crit and mastery will mind boggle anyone in their right minds.
    Socketing the hit is to avoid socketing lesser stats, it's hunters 3rd best gem.
    Also 40hit + 30 haste ~= 40 agi
    The single mastery gem shouldn't hurt anyone's head that much :P

Just for you I went out and swapped that gem as piercing was only 17g ;D
    Last edited by Psii; 2011-01-29 at 05:24 PM.

Nice gem switch

Now, about the first point, your saying +30agi and +20hit is a dps gain over +40agi. This just isnt true. "IF" he needs that 20 hit he can get it from reforging away haste or mastery. If your saying no dont do that your essentially saying haste and mastery > hit even when he is under hit cap.

Second point, Gemming and reforging are 100% absolutely NOT the same. (dont be alarmed if you get flammed for saying that) Here is the reason, you CAN gem agility you CANNOT reforge it. So...instead of wasting a gem spot for a stat thats not agility, reforge for it if possible and gem as much agility as you can.

Lastly, you said you socketed hit so you didnt socket a lesser stat. Agility is not a lesser stat, because again you can reforge to hit, but NOT to agility. Back in wrath gemming hit > agility I could understand if gear choices left you with no other alternative, but with reforging, it's simply not the way to go.

Dont take my word for it if you dont want to. Go to WHU, or EJ, they will all say the same thing.

Nice gem switch

Now, about the first point, your saying +30agi and +20hit is a dps gain over +40agi. This just isnt true. "IF" he needs that 20 hit he can get it from reforging away haste or mastery. If your saying no dont do that your essentially saying haste and mastery > hit even when he is under hit cap.
    You're entire point here is that you would rather mindless socket 40Agi rather then find spots where you can gain a socket bonus and a dps upgrade.
    I'm sorry to point it out to you, but 30agi + 20 hit is always a dps gain.
    Every time you get a new piece of gear, you have to look over your entire gear set to see if you can squeeze out just a bit more.
    Second point, Gemming and reforging are 100% absolutely NOT the same. (dont be alarmed if you get flammed for saying that) Here is the reason, you CAN gem agility you CANNOT reforge it. So...instead of wasting a gem spot for a stat thats not agility, reforge for it if possible and gem as much agility as you can.
    This is true, however, there are options that people have.
    Seeing as Gemming allows you to gain socket bonus' it's actually better to see if you can get a higher dps output then just throwing in the 40agi every time.
    My gemming selection nets me a dps loss of about 40 now (after gem switch :P) vs mindless socketing agi. I'm fine with that.
    Unless the overall gain is in three digits, I'm happy.
    Lastly, you said you socketed hit so you didnt socket a lesser stat. Agility is not a lesser stat, because again you can reforge to hit, but NOT to agility. Back in wrath gemming hit > agility I could understand if gear choices left you with no other alternative, but with reforging, it's simply not the way to go.

Dont take my word for it if you dont want to. Go to WHU, or EJ, they will all say the same thing.
    Agi is a lesser choice when it's a dps loss.
    Don't know why I have to keep repeating this.
    Last edited by Psii; 2011-01-29 at 05:47 PM.

Dude, you are absolutely killing me. At first I thought it was an oversight but now I think your purposfully missing the point that reforging into hit is preferable to gemming it. Back to the basics. Hit becomes useless after 8%. If you can get to that 8% through reforging gear then everyone with a hunters brain says to do that. Once you've done that (and you can I've done it with your toon on FD) you gem for as much agility as humanly possible. After you hit the hit cap through reforging, a hit gem should never grace your gear UNLESS you see a +20 agi socket bonus, then use a 30agi 20hit to gain you an extra 10 agi from what a normal +40 gem would net you. If that puts you over the hit cap because of it then play with reforging again to come back down to cap. All of your argument seems to be predecated on you thinking gemming hit is in any way, shape or form the way to get hit.

I honestly don't know what else to say except if you do some reading on your own at the places I read and alot of others (Wacraft Hunters Union, EJ), you will understand alot better.

Dude, you are absolutely killing me. At first I thought it was an oversight but now I think your purposfully missing the point that reforging into hit is preferable to gemming it. Back to the basics. Hit becomes useless after 8%. If you can get to that 8% through reforging gear then everyone with a hunters brain says to do that. Once you've done that (and you can I've done it with your toon on FD) you gem for as much agility as humanly possible. After you hit the hit cap through reforging, a hit gem should never grace your gear UNLESS you see a +20 agi socket bonus, then use a 30agi 20hit to gain you an extra 10 agi from what a normal +40 gem would net you. If that puts you over the hit cap because of it then play with reforging again to come back down to cap. All of your argument seems to be predecated on you thinking gemming hit is in any way, shape or form the way to get hit.

I honestly don't know what else to say except if you do some reading on your own at the places I read and alot of others (Wacraft Hunters Union, EJ), you will understand alot better.
    And yet you're still wrong.

These are my ungemmed/unreforged stats.
    Final Stats
    Agility: 7297
    Stamina: 6227
    Health: 101127
    Attack Power: 17709 Effective on Target: 19659
    Hit: 7.22% Chance to hit: 99.22%, 93 rating to cap
    Crit: 32.13% on target (25.82% displayed)
    Effective Speed Bonus: 33.22% Avg Autoshot Speed: 2.25
    Display Haste Bonus: 10.84% Avg Autoshot Speed 2.38

At this point, I need hit as I'm not hit capped.
    Your first line of thinking shouldn't be 'socket it all up with 40 agi'
    Because it's a dps loss.
    Your first thought should be "Do I have any blue sockets that give me agi, so that I can gain more from them by socketing hit then I can gain elsewhere"
    Are you seriously going to sit there and continue to try to tell me that when you're not hit capped that 40agi is better then 30agi + 20 hit?
    Really?

Me Currently:
    DPS
    Combined: 22444.43 100.00%
    Hunter: 20524.58 91.45%
    Pet: 1919.85 8.55%
    Previous: 22444.43 No Change
    Code:
    Final Stats
    Agility: 	7543
    Stamina: 	6227
    Health: 	101127
    Attack Power: 	18251 	Effective on Target: 20200
    Hit: 	8% 	Chance to hit: 100%, 1 rating over cap
    Crit: 	36.52% on target (30.22% displayed)
    Crit Dmg Bonus: 	106%
    Mastery Bonus: 	13.97% Magic Damage Bonus
    Effective Speed Bonus: 	28.47% 	Avg Autoshot Speed: 2.33
    Display Haste Bonus: 	6.89% 	Avg Autoshot Speed 2.47
    Static Focus Shot Cast Time: 	1.65 sec
    Me after socketing all 40 Agi + changing meta

DPS
    Combined: 22310.35 100.00%
    Hunter: 20372.99 91.32%
    Pet: 1937.36 8.68%
    Previous: 22444.43 -134.08
    Code:
    Final Stats
    Agility: 	7737
    Attack Power: 	18677 	Effective on Target: 20626
    Hit: 	8.07% 	Chance to hit: 100%, 9 rating over cap
    Crit: 	35.96% on target (29.65% displayed)
    Crit Dmg Bonus: 	100%
    Mastery Bonus: 	13.97% Magic Damage Bonus
    Effective Speed Bonus: 	28.19% 	Avg Autoshot Speed: 2.34
    Display Haste Bonus: 	6.66% 	Avg Autoshot Speed 2.48
    Static Focus Shot Cast Time: 	1.65 sec

HMMM, better gear making 3% crit bonus scale better, uh oh.
    Last edited by Psii; 2011-01-29 at 07:00 PM.

Mcomfgroflbbq

And yet again you ignore the entire point of my post, and the entire reason your argument is flawed. You wont be needing hit ONCE YOU REFORGE MORE OF IT TO YOUR GEAR.

omg caps lock.

I will repeat...if you have a blue socket that gives agility....+40 agi unless the bonus is +20. I actually have an idea. This will be a way to flame me and get support for this idea. Go to EJ forums, or to wow hunter forums. Open a thread with "I have this annoying hunter telling me my gemming is not entirely right, I think I'm right will you please look at it and offer any advice you seem fit"

I will follow it closely.

Mcomfgroflbbq

And yet again you ignore the entire point of my post, and the entire reason your argument is flawed. You wont be needing hit ONCE YOU REFORGE MORE OF IT TO YOUR GEAR.

omg caps lock.

I will repeat...if you have a blue socket that gives agility....+40 agi unless the bonus is +20. I actually have an idea. This will be a way to flame me and get support for this idea. Go to EJ forums, or to wow hunter forums. Open a thread with "I have this annoying hunter telling me my gemming is not entirely right, I think I'm right will you please look at it and offer any advice you seem fit"

I will follow it closely.
    This is the best I could do:

DPS
    Combined: 22345.87 100.00%

Code:
    Final Stats
    Agility: 	7763
    Attack Power: 	18735 	Effective on Target: 20684
    Hit: 	8.05% 	Chance to hit: 100%, 7 rating over cap
    Crit: 	36.47% on target (30.17% displayed)
    Crit Dmg Bonus: 	100%
    Mastery Bonus: 	12.68% Magic Damage Bonus
    Effective Speed Bonus: 	29.46% 	Avg Autoshot Speed: 2.31
    Display Haste Bonus: 	7.72% 	Avg Autoshot Speed 2.45
    Static Focus Shot Cast Time: 	1.64 sec
    Since you're significantly better then I am at this, play around with femaledwarf and get me a higher dps setup.
    I can't do it.
    Last edited by Psii; 2011-01-29 at 07:30 PM.

Now I will let the hunter academics do the talking since you will not listen to my reasoning.

From WHU:
    http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/...ting-level-85/

This you already know about hit except for a paragraph at the bottom...
    "For a long time hit rating was the best hunter stat in the game, but it appears this is no longer the case in Cataclysm. Hit rating is still better than our other secondary stats (crit, haste, mastery) but 1 agility actually contributes more to our dps than 1 hit rating does.

That said, you always want to be at the hit cap for whatever content you’re facing — though raiding hunters tend to prefer to carry 8% hit rating at all times. If you are below the hit cap, the best way to reach it is by Reforging your gear."

Quote from Frosthiem-

Also....on gemming
    http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/...m-hunter-gems/

Finally...on reforging

http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/...uide-level-85/

Please read this last one very carefully, try not to hurt yourself. This will explain everything I'm attempting, but failing, to tell you.

---------- Post added 2011-01-29 at 02:32 PM ----------

Your haste there is fine, your at 1.6 sec cobra shot cast. The .04 of a second difference between 1.62 and 1.66 will be devoured by any latency you have.

Quote from Frosthiem-

Also....on gemming
    http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/...m-hunter-gems/
    This is actually pretty laughable reading.
    Author goes on to say:
    For blue sockets, we’re going to ignore the socket bonus and just use red gems (except for one blue gem to satisfy our meta requirement), unless the socket bonus is 20 agility or better, then we’ll use our Glinting Demonseye.

As a general rule of thumb if a yellow socket bonus provides 10 agility, or 20 of another stat, then it’s worth using an orange gem (as shown in the table above) to get the socket bonus. If the socket bonus is worse just ignore it and use your 40 agility red gem.

Most of the time your socket bonus is probably going to be good enough to justify the orange gem.

Note that since you’re often using only one blue gem, any other piece of gear that has a blue socket will use only red gems in all the sockets, if you’re losing the socket bonus anyway.
    So, he wants us to use Orange gems in sockets that provide 10agi (or better) but not use blue gems for the same thing.
    The blue gem is a better dps gain then the orange gem.
    He disproved himself already.
    Next.
    That one is pretty good too.
    Seeing as he completely ignores socket bonus' and just focus' pure gems (no mixed) thus removing any possibility of having better socket options.

I see no math, no attempt to try to show the reader any information about how they came to any of the conclusions (they're likely on EJ, but even being there they were likely just accepted as fact).

I still find it kinda funny as I assume you know a ton about gemming and reforging that when someone actually presents a possible option as an upgrade that if it hasn't been posted elsewhere (by people that don't show their math) that it's wrong.

I'm sure EJ forums can help you out

You have proven to be a complete idiot. Hands down. I tried educating you with information from some of the best at our class cause it doesn't come from me, I learn from the smart ones. I truly don't know what else to tell you. Gem mastery, gem hit, gem crit, do what you want. It is kind of laughable.

Since we completely hijacked this thread I will say when someone asks about advice on how to play his class and what he can do differently to help him do not ever reply in one of those threads. I apologize to the OP. I hope the OP reads from the sources and learns a bit more from them.