Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by denizhansen View Post
    EJ is based on math and spreadsheets, in an expansion like cataclysm, thats pretty damn worthless. Hit will always be key if you have to interupts or whatever, and missing key spells can mess up your rotation severely.

Dont just trust nabkin math, use your head. Ofc you wanna be hit capped, nothing has changed in that matter.
    Uh, you clearly don't understand how they derived those numbers. It is not 'napkin math,' it is all simulation based on how the game actually works, done over thousands of iterations. It only breaks in the case of interrupts, which are not considered in maximizing dps. So if your interrupts are key to your raid, then getting hit capped is a good idea. Otherwise, intellect is always better than hit. Sure a spell may be resisted every now and then and throw you off, but that has been taken into account, int is still better. Regardless, you do indeed sacrifice all other secondary stats to get hit-capped. Anyway, the only place the int vs hit debate comes into question is gems, trinkets, and a few enchants. Gems, you want as much int as possible, however you consider beneficial socket bonuses. Trinkets partially depend on the proc/use. Enchants, you always get int and then hit if you aren't hit capped. I don't like resisted spells as much as any of you, but the math is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacomp89 View Post
    Uh, you clearly don't understand how they derived those numbers. It is not 'napkin math,' it is all simulation based on how the game actually works, done over thousands of iterations. It only breaks in the case of interrupts, which are not considered in maximizing dps. So if your interrupts are key to your raid, then getting hit capped is a good idea. Otherwise, intellect is always better than hit. Sure a spell may be resisted every now and then and throw you off, but that has been taken into account, int is still better. Regardless, you do indeed sacrifice all other secondary stats to get hit-capped. Anyway, the only place the int vs hit debate comes into question is gems, trinkets, and a few enchants. Gems, you want as much int as possible, however you consider beneficial socket bonuses. Trinkets partially depend on the proc/use. Enchants, you always get int and then hit if you aren't hit capped. I don't like resisted spells as much as any of you, but the math is clear.

Yeah, pretty much exactly that. Missed*, not resisted, spells can suck and sure in that one RNG moment that your would be 6k per tick combustion misses sucks but again they take into account for that in their math.

The only thing EJ doesn't take into account is movement / fight mechanics. They treat every fight like a target dummy or patchwerk, which can be inaccurate but assuming that you maximize dps up time on boss their information is very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    The only thing EJ doesn't take into account is movement / fight mechanics. They treat every fight like a target dummy or patchwerk, which can be inaccurate but assuming that you maximize dps up time on boss their information is very accurate.
    The simulation they use is capable of taking movement into account. They run many different scenarios varying total fight length, movement time, presence of adds, and what not. Of course it doesn't simulate specific fights, so you can only really take the trends from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff.20 View Post
    This should be easy for a veteran/seasoned mage. You want to have at least 16.5% hit. Your 15.5% is crap, intellect is valuable sure but worthless if you miss and waste mana. Change your ring for something like band of rays or the one from Deadmines for more hit/crit. Your haste is crap too reforge on hit crit items into haste for now. Meta is crap too. Don't consider the enchant boot minor speed/mastery enchant you don't have the gear high enough level of gear to make other stats work. I too atm am running with stump of time/DMC combo but very soon i will replace it when i get a 1-2 more items. I don't like the uptime that much on stump but its the best hit trinket out their for ranged. I'd rather have the Bell or Heart of Ignacious thats just me.
    Several things:
    1. The reason I posted -90 Int from food is because I eat grilled dragon. My Hit is 16.43%
    2. Meta is crap? +2% Mana instead of -2% Threat does not a big difference make.
    3. We have no +5% Haste buff in our raid comp, so it's pointless to bother reforging into more haste.

Edit: BTW, this is now an old thread, I have done some tinkering since the original post. Thanks for the positive feedback.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-02-01 at 06:28 AM.

Hit is not better than INT, but it is also not a stat that clashes with INT very often either. Getting the Hit cap while still prioritizing INT is pretty damn easy. To the people saying HIT > INT, you are wrong. In past expansions you where right, but it's different now and INT is just to good of a stat. The only time Hit is more useful than Int is for interrupting, and the only fight you should be counted on to interrupt is Halfus. Either way cap your hit, stack your INT, and get at least 12.5% haste..it isn't hard.

While Int is better on the paper, just think about a missed Combustion at Maloriak and loosing 1 Million Damage or missing the Fire Blast after you have put Combustion on your main target and try to spread the dot. A missed interrupt at Halfus Heroic or a missed interrupt on Arcanotron at Omnitron Heroic always when he is activated.

I always prefer beeing hit capped instead of just focusing pure Int...

EJ does say that they still recommend you get the hit cap but instead of gemming hit just reforge for it instead, gem for int.

"Hit is a very strong stat, but still weaker than intellect. You'll need 17% hit (1742 rating) for Tier 11 boss mobs. Read the section below for a strategy on how to cap Hit rating. The value of Hit falls off once you're Hit capped." From that same EJ guide, they still recommend hit-capping; what if Combustion was the one spell that missed because of that 0.5% hit you don't have?