10+ Year Old Account

Vista 32 bit to a Windows 7 64 bit?

I'm currently using an Acer Aspire 8930 laptop, which I find very enjoyable, only thing I dislike is that it has vista and it's 32 bit. The laptop has 4GB RAM but 32 bit only recognises 3 GB.

Now, I'm probably buying Windows 7, and I also started to wonder if it's possible to make it go from a 32 bit to a 64 bit.
    I'm no computer wiz or anything like that, so I'm not certain if it's possible to go from a 32 bit Vista to a 64 bit Windows 7. Also, does W7 home premium contain 64 bit? (Since I don't know what the difference is between Home Premium and Ultimate).

Here are some of my computer specs if you require them;

Model: Aspire 8930
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz
    Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB
    Type Computer: 32-bits system.

(Windows version is Windows Vista Home Premium atm).

And if I'm entirely wrong here atm, I'm sorry .

Thanks for the help in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    64-bit compatibility depends on your hardware, your cpu should support it.

I have no clue whether or not you can upgrade vista 32 to 7 64 though, I would assume you can't, however, I'ld just do a clean install, and try to get all those dirty vista smudges off

afaik every windows 7 type has both a x86 and x64 version so you should be fine.

it's definately worth the upgrade, as a mac user, I'm pretty sceptical when it comes to new microsoft OS's, but win 7 is a big step forward from vista

Hope this helps
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2011-01-29 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    Nah I've tried it, it cannot be done the software will just refuse.
    I didn't do clean install though, I wanted to keep most of my files.
    But I tried from Vista 32 -> 7 64
    And it simply told me that it cannot upgrade a 32bit vista to 64bit win 7
    Only in my experience though.

Deleted
    you cannot upgrade a Windows vista 32 bit version to a windows 7 64 bit version and the other way around. You will need to format your disk and clean install windows 7 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Xoim View Post
    Nah I've tried it, it cannot be done the software will just refuse.
    I didn't do clean install though, I wanted to keep most of my files.
    But I tried from Vista 32 -> 7 64
    And it simply told me that it cannot upgrade a 32bit vista to 64bit win 7
    Only in my experience though.
    No this is true, I got my Dad Windows 7 for Christmas this year and he went through this very problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMenace View Post
    you cannot upgrade a Windows vista 32 bit version to a windows 7 64 bit version and the other way around. You will need to format your disk and clean install windows 7 64 bit
    As I expected, I'm using a win 7 ultimate x86 atm (got it for free at a Microsoft event, and haven't been feeling the need to upgrade to 64 bit)

Deleting all your precious data is a bit annoying of course, but stuff like music, images, videos can just be saved on a portable Hard drive.

Also, the wow client is portable afaik (have not tested this recently but I assume this hasn't changed), just copy/paste your game folder to a hard drive and copy it back once you have windows 7

No matter what your system specs are, no operating system running at 32 bit can be directly upgraded to a 64 bit operating system. Your best bet is to save your files to a separate drive, then have windows wipe your hard drive and re-install. As for if your computer can run 64 bit, lemme google it for you. httpcolon//arkinteldotcom/Product.aspx?id=39311 Says your cpu can run a 64 bit os, so you'll be fine.

But tbh, one of the main benefits of a 64 bit OS to the end user is the ability to use more ram, and increasing the speed of your comp. A 32 bit OS can only use 4gb of ram, and iirc Win7 home premium x64 can use up to 16 gb of ram, and Ultimate x64 can use up to 128gb. So if you're not planning on upgrading your ram, it's not really worth it to move to x64. Plus you have to look at if your board can even support more ram. Many brand computers don't have much upgradeability. Check to see how many ram slots you have, if you've only got 2, you'll need to upgrade the mobo before upgrading the ram. And you'll probably need a new case then, because branded computers rarely use standard sized mobo's. All this together means it's usually easier to just buy a new computer

---------- Post added 2011-01-29 at 06:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    As I expected, I'm using a win 7 ultimate x86 atm (got it for free at a Microsoft event, and haven't been feeling the need to upgrade to 64 bit)

Deleting all your precious data is a bit annoying of course, but stuff like music, images, videos can just be saved on a portable Hard drive.

Also, the wow client is portable afaik (have not tested this recently but I assume this hasn't changed), just copy/paste your game folder to a hard drive and copy it back once you have windows 7
    WoW is completely portable, I have had it on my third drive for years now and never needed to re-install after wiping the main drive a few dozen times.
    Last edited by Jadesaturn; 2011-01-29 at 02:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your cpu does support it, but I am pretty sure you need to do a clean install to go from 32 bit to 64 bit. I might be wrong, but I have heard nothing but problems when people try to do it.

I don't there will be any difference between 32 bit and 64 bit until you decide to upgrade ram above 4 GB.
    32 bit Windows handles up to 4 GB. It shows 3, because 1GB is reserved for hardware

edit: nevermind, I'm wrong. It's just address space that get's reserved, not memory
    Last edited by procne; 2011-01-29 at 02:52 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

15+ Year Old Account
    2gb and lower should get 32 bit
    4gb and higher should get 64bit

There is no difference these days, applications run well, drivers are just as good developed for 32 as 64 bit.

Only if u use very old hardware and/or programs you could get some problems on 64bit (but probably also @ 32, cause of w7).

Whether or not a PC can be 32 bit or 64 bit is entirely hardware dependant. Looking at this:

//ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=39311

You can see the instruction set for your processor is actually 64 bit. Therefore you shouldn't have a problem running any 64 bit OS (Windows 7, etc). It's actually a little strange to me your PC came with (?) a 32 bit OS. :P

Apparently I'm a slow typist/poster.

Any time you're doing a major OS upgrade you want to first backup all your personal and important files. Any programs you have you'll want to make sure you have the discs and CD-keys standing by. Have all the drivers handy on a CD or USB stick too. You won't have internet access unless: Windows can identify your motherboard and ethernet adapter directly or you install the driver for it (have it handy locally). The best way to then proceed is to let the Windows 7 (or whatever OS) reformat the drive and allow it to partition it as needed. Windows 7 makes one 100MB-ish boot partition and keeps the rest of the disk a partition. Reformatting the hard drive is ideal because you don't want to have any conflicts with drivers or other OS files (or even programs) by installing over (if that's even possible) any older OS.

When I install a new OS I like to do this.

Install OS
    Install motherboard drivers
    Install video drivers
    Then you can proceed with everything else. But those are generally the three most important steps you'll want to do.
    Last edited by lothior; 2011-01-29 at 02:55 PM.

I'm working on an Acer Aspire 5739 myself, It came with Vista 32bit pre-installed.
    When 7 came out, I backed up all my files and went for a clean install, It's running smoothly on W7 Home Premium 64bit.
    I'm not entirely sure whether or not your laptop can switch from 32 -> 64 bit, you'd have to ask someone that knows a bit about computers.

What I can tell you though, is the difference between home premium and ultimate.
    Take a look on this chart. It contains a table with all the W7 versions, and all the stuff that comes with them.

... edit...
    Not allowed to post links/images yet, so just go to google, and search for: "windows 7 comparison chart"
    .../edit...

Also, to see if your computer can run w7 64bit, do the following:
    (quote from Microsoft website

To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. If you are unsure whether your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start buttonWindows, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.

Click View and print detailed performance and system information.