Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Contagion not working as intended

Has anyone noticed this? Recently i've started playing my DK again, and I respecced DW Frost to 2h Unholy for a change. I picked up Contagion as a no brainer aoe damage increase, but upon actual testing it has 0 effect.

Tested it for about an hour on training dummies in SW. Frost Fever damage was 1027/1028 on the first target, and Blood Plague was 1048/1049 damage, each individual target receiving the diseases had the exact same damage.

I thought at first it might mean all diseases, even though if that was 100% increase disease damage was alot lower than I remembered. So I respecced, and took the points out of Contagion and tried again. Same disease damage as without on the single target.

I don't see this mentioned at all on the PTR patch notes, though the change to virulence would make this being fixed even more appealing. Two 30% increases, and a 100% increase to adds? Thats alot of damage being bugged away.

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 10:11 AM ----------

After a bit of further testing, without contagion the diseases spread via pestilence were doing about 20% less damage around 825 each tick. Upon putting points back into Contagion they were bumped back up to the 1k range.

The tooltip states that diseases spread via pestilence take 100% of the disease damage, but this isn't the case. Either way, a 100% increase doesn't turn 800 damage into 1000 damage.

Pestilence: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=50842

Contagion rank 2: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=91319

Reading the tooltips sure is hard.

But since you won't here's the cookie: diseases spread by pestilence deal half damage, with this talent they deal the same damage as the ones on your main target. It doesn't affect the diseases on your main target so yes, with or without contagion your dps on single target is the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's working exactly as intended.

Without the talent diseases spread by Pestilence will do 50% of normal damage. (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=50842)
    With the talent diseases spread by Pestilence will do 100% of normal damage. (Assuming you put 2 points in, 1 point would result in 75% damage.

The talent does NOT make them do 100% more damage, as you implying it should.
    Read all your spells properly before next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brince View Post
    Pestilence: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=50842

Contagion rank 2: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=91319

Reading the tooltips sure is hard.

But since you won't here's the cookie: diseases spread by pestilence deal half damage, with this talent they deal the same damage as the ones on your main target. It doesn't affect the diseases on your main target so yes, with or without contagion your dps on single target is the same.
    Tooltip for for Pestilence in game, as I read it now, states: Spreads existing Blood plague and Frost Fever infections from your target to all other enemies within 15 yards. Diseases spread this way deal 100% of normal damage. Yeah, reading sure is hard when whats in game isn't correct, way to make me see blizzards error in a nice and pleasant way. Your my bloody hero.

Also, this raises another question entirely. Why is half damage from a 1k hit being calculated as a 800 hit? Why is that 800 hit being increased 100% to equal 1k? Math seems faulty.

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 10:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    It's working exactly as intended.

Without the talent diseases spread by Pestilence will do 50% of normal damage. (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=50842)
    With the talent diseases spread by Pestilence will do 100% of normal damage. (Assuming you put 2 points in, 1 point would result in 75% damage.

The talent does NOT make them do 100% more damage, as you implying it should.
    Read all your spells properly before next time.
    Contagion in game states:Increases the damage of your diseases spread via Pestilence by 100%, not TO 100%, BY 100%.

Reading that exactly as it is stated would indicate 100% increase in damage of the disease, not 100% of the normal damage of the disease. So I did indeed read it properly. Blizzards vague and misleading tooltips aren't my mistake. Given how pestilence tooltip is stating 100% anyway changing those two letters to make this tooltip correct wouldn't make any sense until they are both corrected.
    Last edited by Sandraudiga; 2011-02-01 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Tooltip for for Pestilence in game, as I read it now, states: Spreads existing Blood plague and Frost Fever infections from your target to all other enemies within 15 yards. Diseases spread this way deal 100% of normal damage. Yeah, reading sure is hard when whats in game isn't correct, way to make me see blizzards error in a nice and pleasant way. Your my bloody hero.

Also, this raises another question entirely. Why is half damage from a 1k hit being calculated as a 800 hit? Why is that 800 hit being increased 100% to equal 1k? Math seems faulty.

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 10:24 AM ----------

Contagion in game states:Increases the damage of your diseases spread via Pestilence by 100%, not TO 100%, BY 100%.

Reading that exactly as it is stated would indicate 100% increase in damage of the disease, not 100% of the normal damage of the disease. So I did indeed read it properly. Blizzards vague and misleading tooltips aren't my mistake.
    First of all, you put points in Contagion, thus that's why your tooltip on Pestilence states 100%. Tooltips are dynamic in game.

Tooltips aren't vague, diseases spread by Pestilence deal 50% damage normally, if you increase their damage by 100%, it makes them deal 100% of normal disease damage. (50 x 2 = 100). So increasing their damage TO 100% and BY 100% are the exact same thing in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefury* View Post
    First of all, you put points in Contagion, thus that's why your tooltip on Pestilence states 100%. Tooltips are dynamic in game.

Tooltips aren't vague, diseases spread by Pestilence deal 50% damage normally, if you increase their damage by 100%, it makes them deal 100% of normal disease damage. (50 x 2 = 100). So increasing their damage TO 100% and BY 100% are the exact same thing in this case.
    I stand corrected on the tooltip number, but I still contend that those two letters make it vague given the math itself. How is 50% of 1000 damage 800 damage? How is increasing that 800 damage by 100% 1000 damage? If it was to and not by sure, the tooltip would be clear, but the underlying math itself is still wrong.

Don't change subject just to make us look like fools. The original topic was about contagion increasing diseases on the main target by 100% which is not correct.
    About the spread diseases i think it's due to ebon plaguebringer which increase their damage by 30%.
    If you want to test the basic pestilence spec frost and see the numbers, i think they will really deal half damage on other targets.

15+ Year Old Account
    About the spread diseases i think it's due to ebon plaguebringer which increase their damage by 30%.
    Ebon Plague isn't spread with the diseases AFAIK.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    If you pestilence everything gets Ebon Plague, if not immediately, then after the first tick of either disease.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavelos View Post
    If you pestilence everything gets Ebon Plague, if not immediately, then after the first tick of either disease.
    Really? I'd have to check because I haven't been unholy in pvp for a long time. Ebon Plague is now applied through Icy Touch, Chains of Ice, Plague Strike and Outbreak. Not through Frost Fever and Blood Plague like it was in wrath. So therefore Pestilence shouldn't spread Ebon Plague.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Really? I'd have to check because I haven't been unholy in pvp for a long time. Ebon Plague is now applied through Icy Touch, Chains of Ice, Plague Strike and Outbreak. Not through Frost Fever and Blood Plague like it was in wrath. So therefore Pestilence shouldn't spread Ebon Plague.
    But ebon plague is a disease so it's spread like frost fever and blood plague. I think it's working as intended.

15+ Year Old Account
    But ebon plague is a disease so it's spread like frost fever and blood plague. I think it's working as intended.
    Pestilence
    1 Blood Melee Range
    Spreads existing Blood Plague and Frost Fever infections from your target to all other enemies within 10 yards. Diseases spread this way deal 50% of normal damage.

--

Pestilence only spreads frost fever and blood plague. Not all diseases.

Pestilence
    1 Blood Melee Range
    Spreads existing Blood Plague and Frost Fever infections from your target to all other enemies within 10 yards. Diseases spread this way deal 50% of normal damage.

--

Pestilence only spreads frost fever and blood plague. Not all diseases.
    Watch my focus frame at 1:50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6xJR...layer_embedded

I know, my UI needs *tons* of work, but I've just not had the time to do so.

I think it's the same as festring strike: An instant attack that deals 150% weapon damage plus (280 * 150 / 100) and increases the duration of your Blood Plague, Frost Fever, and Chains of Ice effects on the target by up to 6 sec.

It works also with ebon plague even though there's no mention in the tooltip so i guess it's just a description problem. Ebon plague is a disease and therefore is spread via pestilence and increased in duration via FeS.

Just tested in game. As frost, 734 blood plague ticks. 426 pestillenced ones.

UH presence: 638 ticks, pest for 330
    FF: 740, pest for 374

As UH: FF 1333. FF applied with EP: 1333
    Pested: 1344
    BP: 1359. Pested for 1415. Somethin'g up

Deleted
    Ebon Plague isn't spread with the diseases

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    actually it is. not sure when the last time you checked it but it always has and still does. i JUST checked it less than 15 seconds ago.
    Last edited by Avatar Killer; 2011-02-01 at 04:46 PM.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    actually it is.
    What he said. Look at my post above if you don't believe me. It's clearly shown that it is.

Don't change subject just to make us look like fools. The original topic was about contagion increasing diseases on the main target by 100% which is not correct.
    If you want to test the basic pestilence spec frost and see the numbers, i think they will really deal half damage on other targets.
    I came here to ask about an issue, while part of that was explained, and I admitted as such, I do not bring up issues with the sole purpose of making anyone look like a fool. Why do you assume so? If you will look at my first post you will see an additional post at the end, before any reply that brings up the damage issue.

Without Contagion, my frost fever and blood plague tick for 1k on the first target, each other target from pestilence ticks for 800. I checked ebon plague given that it could be the problem, but pestilence was spreading that too. With contagion each tick on each target hits for the 1k.

Given that something strange is happening, its a very misleading set of tooltips. Pretty much all talents/abilities that increase duration also increase the duration of Ebon plague as well, without a tooltip nod. The damage just isn't accurate.

Is two talent points worth an extra 200 dmg a tick on adds? Perhaps for certain parts of certain boss fights, but overall could you get more out of another talent. Its an interesting question, imo.

my guess is, the reason Ebon Plague isn't in the tooltips for pestilence and FS is because only unholy has it, while all specs get pest and FS. However if tooltips do indeed update dynamically based on spec choices (as stated earlier in the thread that they do) Blizz should definitely fix that issue...