Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stats out of balance (resto question)

So I finally leveled my shammy who hasn't seen action since WOTLK came out. I've worked him into a healing role and in the past week have gotten him to 344ilvl as of today. One thing I am wondering about is the stat balance currently equipped:

19.25% crit
    1015 haste
    2195 in combat regen
    just under 80K mana
    9.85 mastery

Now its the mastery I'm wondering about, should I sacrifice the crit and build a bit more mastery, or drop haste down to soft cap and build mastery from that? Or drop crit to build mastery and haste?

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    CTFSATTOTF.

Check The Freakin' Sticky At The Top Of This Forum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evilH View Post
    So I finally leveled my shammy who hasn't seen action since WOTLK came out. I've worked him into a healing role and in the past week have gotten him to 344ilvl as of today. One thing I am wondering about is the stat balance currently equipped:

19.25% crit
    1015 haste
    2195 in combat regen
    just under 80K mana
    9.85 mastery

Now its the mastery I'm wondering about, should I sacrifice the crit and build a bit more mastery, or drop haste down to soft cap and build mastery from that? Or drop crit to build mastery and haste?
    Too much haste. ~920 for first haste cap (extra HoT-ticks)
    Also is that combat reggn with or without watershield? If its with I believe its a bit low. However if your throughput makes up for it..

10+ Year Old Account
    I sit on around 2000+ haste (9th riptide tick as well).. every forum post indicates that it's too high, but I like my haste at that level thankyouverymuch!
    Haste is nice for your chain heals as well.. works great in heroic raids.. don't go oom either.

And mastery isn't something you'd want to stackstackstack.. Not yet, anyhow,

Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    I sit on around 2000+ haste (9th riptide tick as well).. every forum post indicates that it's too high, but I like my haste at that level thankyouverymuch!
    Haste is nice for your chain heals as well.. works great in heroic raids.. don't go oom either.

The reason threads state that crit is superior is because while 2000 sounds like a mighty number, it barely brings your cast time down much at all. If it's a choice between 26% raid buffed crit or 2000 haste and .3 off my spells, i'll take the crit all day. Not to mention it's far more throughput AND regen. Extra tick on riptide is very marginal as it's mostly overhealing half the time anyway by the final tick.

10+ Year Old Account
    More throughput since when? I know crit is tasty, and it's not like I'm below 22% crit raid buffed.. I seldom overheal with riptide.. Heroic bosses hit somewhat hard, and I like to roll riptides on the tanks while I heal the raid / do whatever I am assigned to do.. more regen is something I don't need yet either.

I love haste, and no, I'm not stuck with the WoTLk mentality. That being said, I value Haste a bit over Crit. Not going to get more than my current level, but I will still swap around my gems and be reforging my gear to stay at this level of haste.
    Last edited by Revelations; 2011-02-02 at 12:14 PM.

Deleted
    Haste is completely worth it for throughput. The issue is just that your HPM goes down quite a bit. Which is fine if you're able to rely heavily on HW in situations where you'd have to cast HS (or GHW postpatch) without the haste, and mainly focus on raidhealing with HR/rolling RTs/spamming CH's.

This rarely works out in 10m hardmodes, but is a completely viable strategy for 25m.

Deleted
    Well at the moment i'm aiming for haste too, becuase i think when i go for crit or mastery then my heals are just to slow. Since i think Reactive healing is better to conserve mana then pro-active healing.

More throughput since when? I know crit is tasty, and it's not like I'm below 22% crit raid buffed.. I seldom overheal with riptide.. Heroic bosses hit somewhat hard, and I like to roll riptides on the tanks while I heal the raid / do whatever I am assigned to do.. more regen is something I don't need yet either.

I love haste, and no, I'm not stuck with the WoTLk mentality. That being said, I value Haste a bit over Crit. Not going to get more than my current level, but I will still swap around my gems and be reforging my gear to stay at this level of haste.
    So you somehow have no issues with regen, 22%+ crit raidbuffed and 2000 haste. That's astounding because not even Paragon or Method shamans have near those numbers.

Anyhoo, I never said haste isn't good throughput. Just personally feel sacrificing mastery, crit and spirit isn't a good tradeoff to get .3 off your healing rain and .4 off your chain heal, but eh each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by evilH View Post

19.25% crit
    1015 haste
    2195 in combat regen
    just under 80K mana
    9.85 mastery

are you reforging spirit? i don't know how people have such high haste and crit... here are my stats:
    crit 13.28%
    haste 953
    2673 combat mp5
    80k mana
    10.6 mastery

i'm a bit blown away that people have such high crit ratings. i don't know how they get that. i'm only 2/3 acuity, but even with that, i'm still 5% off... i'm in all 346 gear (epic boots and epic spirit trinket too), only a sub-346 item relic.

Deleted
    You have alot more spirit than them; at least, that's usually where the stats differ. Few slots of non-spirit gear and you get ahead a lot on the other secondary stats. 500 incombat regen is quite a bit of spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by dakoth View Post
    You have alot more spirit than them; at least, that's usually where the stats differ. Few slots of non-spirit gear and you get ahead a lot on the other secondary stats. 500 incombat regen is quite a bit of spirit.
    do i have too much spirit? we were working on magmaw last night and dear GOD mana regen was a major issue for me. i think fully buffed i was at almost 3800 in combat regen (with mana spring totem).

how do raid resto shamans last? am i "doing it wrong"? essentially it boiled down to dropping healing rain on the group eating damage, riptide the tank (or riptide a target who was taking too much damage), HW/HW or chain heal if there was a lot of people taking damage.

maybe i'll reforge spirit to crit.

Deleted
    It depends a lot on the situations you're put in. You have more than enough for normals and 25m heroics. 10m heroics you want as much as humanly possible I'd say, but you're fine reforging down to ~2k combat regen for the others. My stats are (straight off char sheet, unbuffed):

18.28% crit
    920 haste
    2573 combat regen
    97k mana
    11.77 mastery
    Last edited by mmoc2ff02584b7; 2011-02-02 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dakoth View Post
    It depends a lot on the situations you're put in. You have more than enough for normals and 25m heroics. 10m heroics you want as much as humanly possible I'd say, but you're fine reforging down to ~2k combat regen for the others. My stats are (straight off char sheet):

18.28% crit
    920 haste
    2573 combat regen
    97k mana
    11.77 mastery
    yeah, i'm in a 10 man raiding guild. last night's magmaw was brutal...

What is it with you people that have less than 90k mana? If you're at 340 or above average ilvl and have less than 90k mana, then you're not stacking Int like you should. If you have 2 trinkets and they don't both have passive Intellect on them, they're probably inferior to Tear of Blood (Stonecore last boss), and Core of Ripeness (sp?). Also, every single one of your gems should be Intellect + whatever you need to match the socket bonus. This is also using the Spirit meta gem, not the Int one.

Intellect is king because you get crit, it's the only way to increase spellpower, and you have more maximum mana for things like replenishment to get an increase from.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bonovoxpsu View Post
    do i have too much spirit? we were working on magmaw last night and dear GOD mana regen was a major issue for me. i think fully buffed i was at almost 3800 in combat regen (with mana spring totem).

how do raid resto shamans last? am i "doing it wrong"? essentially it boiled down to dropping healing rain on the group eating damage, riptide the tank (or riptide a target who was taking too much damage), HW/HW or chain heal if there was a lot of people taking damage.

maybe i'll reforge spirit to crit.
    For Magmaw, all you need is Telluric Currents. It sounds like your technique is about right, but i recommend trying to keep riptide rolling on 3 targets, even if there's only light damage going around, it's pretty efficient. Then when heavier damage starts coming in, bounce a Chain Heal off the riptide that is closest to expiring. I'm fairly sure reforging to crit will not help your regen, although if your tank has low Ancestral Healing (or equivalent) uptime it may be beneficial.

Personally i run with (unbuffed) ~2500 spirit, 17% crit, 13% haste, and very little mastery. Mana is rarely a problem if there's time for a lightning bolt or two, my healing output seems competitive compared to other healers in the guild (bar one holy paladin who's insane). I have a set of mastery heavy gear that i use for encounters like Chimaeron where mastery becomes very strong. I don't really like mastery on my main set due to its very variable strength and afaik it doesn't affect riptide, earthliving and healing rain which account for a large portion of my healing.

Well, I roll haste-heavy (2000+) and favour it equally with spirit. I also favour mastery above critical.

THIS IS THE 25 MAN HARDMODE STRATEGY. For everyone who tells you you're doing it wrong if you choose to stack haste, they either haven't done 25 mans or their gear hasn't turned the corner where regen is no longer your biggest issue. Haste will be the best 25 man hardmode throughput stat (until the mastery change) until your Tidal Wave proc'd Healing Wave is down to 1 second. I assume that'll come around 4.6k haste.

Asyx - Tichondrius (US)

Deleted
    Stats unbuffed:

SP = 6402
    Haste = ~1000 ~8,5 %
    Crit = 19,42 %
    Combat regen = 2135
    Mana = 92K
    Mastery = 9,5 %

I have some problems with going oom pretty fast in fight -_-, BH 10 i was struggling the last 15 % of the fight with mana. I know its mainly a l2p issue since ive never healed with a shaman before. Are my stats and gear ok, or do they play a big part in the mana issue?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ezola View Post
    Stats unbuffed:

SP = 6402
    Haste = ~1000 ~8,5 %
    Crit = 19,42 %
    Combat regen = 2135
    Mana = 92K
    Mastery = 9,5 %

I have some problems with going oom pretty fast in fight -_-, BH 10 i was struggling the last 15 % of the fight with mana. I know its mainly a l2p issue since ive never healed with a shaman before. Are my stats and gear ok, or do they play a big part in the mana issue?
    I'd say your stats are fine. You're probably going oom on BH10 just because you're overhealing. RT/HW rotation with HR tossed in when your group takes a hit is pretty much all you need on that fight (other than dispels).

10+ Year Old Account

why wouldnt you want tostack stack stack mastery? after 916 first hot extra tick its best you can get sit quite equally whit crit but due fight mechaneics its better cause ppl are -60% hp what makes it more worth it then crit so yeh after you got your mana regen to fine level and haste "soft cap" mastery is best you canget atleast for 25 man raiding and it will be even more superior on upcoming patch
    personally cleared now 8/13 HC 25 and tested stuff out
    "Veni, vidi, vici"

"I came, I saw, I conquered"