What am I missing? (Boomkin)

So I was looking over some logs from raid this week to try and find out why my dps seems to be a little on the low side of what top boomkins are putting out and I found something interesting. He is a log from Valiona and Theralion. http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-e8...?s=7472&e=7752. This is my log, now here is a log from one of the top boomkins on this fight.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9k...0#tab-dmgspell

Why, is hit DoT damage so much higher than mine? Overall damage is much higher, and his tick for so much more than mine. I usually always try to have eclipsed dot's up and if you notice our uptime isnt much different. I just can't see how his are so much higher. My gear is pretty good I think, and im sure his is a little better but the difference seems so huge. Any help?

Deleted
    he gained engulfing magic twice, which causes you to deal 100% increased damage but deals the damage done as shadow to nearby raid members and you didn't get it once
    Last edited by mmoc109a5c4138; 2011-02-02 at 10:40 AM.

Seems to me based just on looking at the logs that he ticked almost a full 40 times per DoT more than you with roughly the same uptime. I'd guess his haste is higher. The little variation in DoT average damage is probably due to the Engulfing Magic. But that's just my take on it.

Or he DoT'd Theralion in the air while Valiona was on the ground. I can't really tell but his damage done to Thera was far higher than yours so this might very well make the difference.

Yea I just noticed I never got engulfing magic... that could be the difference, thanks for looking over it.

He probably kept his DoTs rolling on both dragons, in addition to two Engulfig Magics.

I thought that too after I posted this but I looked and it doesn't seem like he did that.. For instance he only had a 45% uptime on IS for Valiona vs 85% for Theralion

Deleted

Chances are he probably did a bit of multidotting in addition to the engulfing magic. It's much easier to keep them up on Theralion full time because he stays stationary mostly (while Valiona likes to go off for a long stretch of time to Deep Breath) as well as there generally being less bad stuff to avoid during that phase.

Any fight where there's more than 1 target (where killing the secondary targets matter and they'll live for the entire duration of the DoTs) Multi-dotting every target is always higher DPS than a single target rotation. I usually only refresh the dots on the 2nd target at the beginning of each eclipse, as they will benefit from the eclipse damage bonus and your Nature's grace haste.

Valiona and Theralion
    Ascendancy Council
    Halfus Drakes
    Omnitron (after the shield drops)
    Phase 1&2 Nefarian
    Conclave (Anshal adds & before u change platforms)
    Last edited by Yalingo; 2011-02-02 at 12:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoonturki View Post
    I thought that too after I posted this but I looked and it doesn't seem like he did that.. For instance he only had a 45% uptime on IS for Valiona vs 85% for Theralion
    But isn't it Valiona that flies back and forth and do the breath?

Haven't done the fight so don't flame me if I'm wrong :P

Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    But isn't it Valiona that flies back and forth and do the breath?

Haven't done the fight so don't flame me if I'm wrong :P
    p1 they sit above each other ( if you tank in middle)
    p2 it does fly to do breaths correct but 99% of the time you can catch it while its doing a breath with 2 dots. Can keep good dot uptime doing this only starfall lacks the extra target while the breaths are happening.

Edit in. Your just not dotting the other targets enough I guess.
    For me I got 5 ability's over my wrath/Starfire
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x...?s=2067&e=2415
    Will admit I was a little slacky on dots myself, a few too many seconds been trying to get into eclipse to refresh the lot.
    Last edited by shags the penguin; 2011-02-02 at 01:39 PM.

Well sounds like Ill just DoT both up from now on, thanks for all the feedback guys.