Question Tanking gear has more strength then DPS gear

Tanking gear has more strength then the DPS gear (plate). I mean, what is up with that. Dont you think tanking gear shuld have less strength and more stamina then the DPS gear of the same level. Just look here. http://www.wowhead.com/item=65130 is a DPS head with 325 strength and 578 stamina and http://www.wowhead.com/item=65096 is a tanking head that has 385 strength and 578 stamina.

I have notised that the DPS head has more equip stats then the tanking head. But it still wont make up for the DPS loss from the strength loss. Meaning if we reforge the tanking head it will be a better DPS head then the tanking one, and DPSers cant get it. But tanks can get them and have better a better DPS head then a DPSer can get.

Why would blizzard make a design like that I wonder. It does not thought through or what do you think about it?

It is indeed strange. I would expect STR values to be equal.

That said, tank 'DPS' is important especially in 10 mans. If you are doing Cho'gall, your full vengeance tank can solo down a tentacle on his own within seconds. That is how useful STR items can be. (Warrior POV).

If you are doing raids as fury (4.0.3a) Daybreaker is clearly not for you because even though you can reforge parry, you will still be faced with mastery is still crap as well (for now).

i think parry has a lower stat/ilvl value, so they putthe extra values into str.either way, dont touch mah tanky gear.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

Than and then are not the same word!

That being covered. 385 - 325 = 60, 257 - 197 = 60. Just a little bit of algebra to think about.

Meaning if we reforge the tanking head it will be a better DPS head then the tanking one, and DPSers cant get it. But tanks can get them and have better a better DPS head then a DPSer can get.
    Somehow I doubt the tanking helm using Parry is going to be a "better DPS head" even if you reforge it.

Download my UI here: Barretta UI

Deleted
    This issue occurred before in wrath with craftable boots or belts of ulduar, can't remember which. It's not such a decisive factor that dps would take that helm over tank for 60 STR

I'm currently wearing the epic rep boots from Dragonmaw in both my tank and DPS sets. They have so much str (and a healthy dose of mastery) I don't currently own any "DPS" boots that beat them.

If it weren't for set bonuses, the tanking chest for Death Knights would beat the crap out of the DPS chest (for Frost anyway) since it has so much more str, and again, mastery.

This, while they have nerfed the set bonuses on the PvP gear because primary stats are so powerful. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

They are changing it in 4.0.6:

Daybreaker Helm stats have been reallocated, lowering Strength and increasing parry rating.
    From the patch notes on the official blog on battle net.

---------- Post added 2011-02-02 at 03:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cTron417 View Post
    Than and then are not the same word!

That being covered. 385 - 325 = 60, 257 - 197 = 60. Just a little bit of algebra to think about.

Somehow I doubt the tanking helm using Parry is going to be a "better DPS head" even if you reforge it.
    Strength is such a strong stat, as are most of the primary stats for their appropriate classes, that the secondary ratings need 2-4 times as much to coming close to the effective value of strength.

not the tier helm tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cTron417 View Post
    And you'd be wrong. The Daybreaker Helm is currently BiS for ret paladins, and one of my officers has told me it's also BiS for DKs (I don't pay much attention to them). I'd imagine warriors are in the same boat. Anyway, none of this matters because with 4.0.6, the str is being cut and it's getting more parry.

It does, I think Blizzard replied to when someone pointed this out on the offical forums, you would end up doing more damage in the DPS gear anyway because of the secondary stats.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    It does, I think Blizzard replied to when someone pointed this out on the offical forums, you would end up doing more damage in the DPS gear anyway because of the secondary stats.
    Except for you wouldn't because the str has so much more weight than the secondary stats. The Daybreak Helm is currently the BiS plate dps helm, however, as it's already been stated by myself and by Kosong, the helm is getting nerfed come 4.0.6 be dropping the str on it and increasing the parry.

any dps that would actually use this helm is brain dead. sure it has a ton of str but thats changing next patch . so stop complaining about it. bis atm or not its no reason for a dps to roll on a peice with tanking stats like parry. so ya moral of the story read mmo-champ and profit =D
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is also the issue of sockets / socket bonuses to consider. I remember reading somewhere about this being an issue they had foreseen/ been made away of previously, and it is clear to see on items with 1/2/3 sockets, how different the primary stats are. Off the top of my head, cannot think of any examples, but compare tier set/non-set stuff, and see the difference in primary stats vs sockets

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    any dps that would actually use this helm is brain dead. sure it has a ton of str but thats changing next patch . so stop complaining about it. bis atm or not its no reason for a dps to roll on a peice with tanking stats like parry. so ya moral of the story read mmo-champ and profit =D
    Not true, if they have it they should use it. What's to say they didn't get it while all the other tanks in their group didn't want it? It currently IS a dps increase over any other helm. Should they keep another in their bags for 4.0.6 when the str gets nerfed? Yes, but a reason not to use if they already have it does not exist.

It seems to me that the gap between dps and tank gear is closing with the eventual trajectory of both becoming hard-shelled melee who group-tank. I think they are nudging the playing base in that direction with two and three tank fights, high tank damage, and increases in melee survivability.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's fine the way it is, more strength for Warriors and Pallies that are tanking will always be a boon and with identical stamina values this is a minor difference at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedexkilla View Post
    I think it's fine the way it is, more strength for Warriors and Pallies that are tanking will always be a boon and with identical stamina values this is a minor difference at best.
    The problem with the way it is isn't so much from the tanking aspect, but that the helm is currently the BiS for plate dps as well. When it has parry rating on it, that isn't intentional >.> but as it's been said multiple times (that if you'd read you'd have seen), the str on the helm is being nerfed to bring it in line with other plate helms of the same item level and it's getting a buff to the amount of parry rating it has.

Quote Originally Posted by ib_di View Post
    There is also the issue of sockets / socket bonuses to consider. I remember reading somewhere about this being an issue they had foreseen/ been made away of previously, and it is clear to see on items with 1/2/3 sockets, how different the primary stats are. Off the top of my head, cannot think of any examples, but compare tier set/non-set stuff, and see the difference in primary stats vs sockets
    I recall reading a blue (responding to a thread about dps gear having as much stamina as tank gear), that sockets are "bought" from the stat allocations by removing from the primary stat. Which means that plate dps gear will drop STR to gain sockets, tank gear will drop STAM to gain sockets.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoura View Post
    Tanking gear has more strength then the DPS gear (plate). I mean, what is up with that. Dont you think tanking gear shuld have less strength and more stamina then the DPS gear of the same level. Just look here. http://www.wowhead.com/item=65130 is a DPS head with 325 strength and 578 stamina and http://www.wowhead.com/item=65096 is a tanking head that has 385 strength and 578 stamina.

I have notised that the DPS head has more equip stats then the tanking head. But it still wont make up for the DPS loss from the strength loss. Meaning if we reforge the tanking head it will be a better DPS head then the tanking one, and DPSers cant get it. But tanks can get them and have better a better DPS head then a DPSer can get.

Why would blizzard make a design like that I wonder. It does not thought through or what do you think about it?
    It's quite obvious actually. The DPS helm has more of its item budget allocated to haste. If you notice, the tanking helm has 197x2 for secondary stats. The dps helm has 197x1 and 257x1. That's why.