Thread: Gpu Upgrade

10+ Year Old Account

Gpu Upgrade

Just finished a budget AMD build and spent around $350:
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black 3.8ghz Slight OC (hopefully unlock third or fourth core)
    4gb Corsair Xms3 (2x2) Ram
    Coolermaster 430 Elite Black Case
    MSI 870-G45 Motherboard
    Thermaltake Tr2 430 Watt PSU
    Nvidia Geforce 7900GTX - ITS ABOUT TIME FOR AN UPGRADE

With a Gpu budget around $110-$150 i was looking for a decent mid Nvidia card like the EVGA GeForce GTS 450 1GB
    In all honesty I'd rather stay away from ATI cards but all suggestions will be read.
    I play all my games on 1280x1024 resolution, i have no problems with games like Css, Dod:s, Modern Warfare 2, or WoW at full settings this card is more for Black-ops and when i buy it BFBC2.
    Keep in mind I will be spending another $50-$90 On a New Antec or Corsair power supply around 600 watts.

TLDR: Suggestions on a new Gfx card around $150

10+ Year Old Account
    At that price range the best Nvidia card you can do is probably a GTX 460 768MB overclocked version. You should be able to get one for as low as ~$130 on sale.

...and at your monitor's resolution you'll probably be fine with just the 768MB version.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    At that price range the best Nvidia card you can do is probably a GTX 460 768MB overclocked version. You should be able to get one for as low as ~$130 on sale.

...and at your monitor's resolution you'll probably be fine with just the 768MB version.
    He said he runs them on that resolution, which doesn't directly mean he's running at his native resolution.
    Anyway, I'd get the 1GB version. Not only for the memory, but they are quite a lot faster for their price aswell since they have higher bandwidth.

10+ Year Old Account
    1280x1024 is my monitors native resolution.

As far as subvendor goes its between EVGA and Asus, the Asus one provides some extra things such as voltage tweak and direct CU cooling.

Asus
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121415

Evga
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130572

if its between those 2 vendors go Asus, you won't be disappointed. I love their RoG line, and have had a chance to really stress test some of their stuff and it's bad ass.

Deleted
    Still I wouldn't pay any extra from factory OC models unless they had better cooler (and the cost was lower than standard model and equal aftermarket cooler combined). Most standard models will OC easily to the clocks of factory OC models.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GTX 460 isn't much more than the 450, it's definitely worth it. Look, here's one for $120 after mail-in rebate.
    This one is $130 but it's overclocked a bit farther and it has a better cooler. If it's overclocked higher it might mean it was binned higher so you could probably OC it even more.

If you're willing to pay $110 for a 450, you should definitely toss another $10 to get the 460 at minimum. And like I said earlier, at your resolution you'll be fine with the 768 MB version.