Healing Yor'Sahj

Resto Shaman and a Disc Priest. I know we pretty much gotta leave purple up everytime I believe. So I need to know what heals we can do and what will count for a stack of unwanted stacks. I'm also curious to know if throwing up heals prior to him getting purple like healing rain or riptide do they automatically get the stack or am I good (I'm the resto shaman btw)? Any tips would be appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a comprehensive list that I have compiled for healing during Deep Corruption in Heroic Mode Yor'sahj the Unsleeping, when the boss absorbs a Shadowed Globule. It seemed easier to compile this information rather than add it piecemeal to previous posts. It is organized by class (healing classes first), and each class section lists abilities giving NO stacks first, then 1 or more stacks; raid wipers are listed at the end of each section!

Keep in mind that all direct heals will add 1 stack of Deep Corruption. Direct heals are not listed below for that reason.

Deep Corruption lasts 25 seconds in Heroic Mode, and after those 25 seconds is reset and refreshed. This results in a total of two 25-second debuffs per phase where Shadowed Globule is absorbed. Adding stacks WILL NOT extend the timer; therefore if someone has 3 stacks with 5 seconds left (for example), those stacks will be wiped clean after 5 seconds even if he/she receives more heals before the debuff expires.

Druid
    Leader of the Pack gives no stacks (Feral Spec).
    Savage Defense gives no stacks.
    Frenzied Regeneration gives no stacks, even with Item - Druid T13 Feral 4P Bonus (Frenzied Regeneration and Stampede).
    Swiftmend gives 1 stack, but Efflorescence gives no stacks.
    Rejuvenation gives 1 stack for the initial cast only, not for ticks.
    Wild Growth gives 1 stack per person healed.
    Lifebloom gives 1 stack per cast, no stacks for Bloom instant heal, no stacks for ticks and no extra stacks when lengthened by Healing Touch/Regrowth/ Nourish with Empowered Touch talented (although the heal used to extend it will add a stack).
    Tranquility gives 1 stack per tick. (Raid Wiper!)
    Paladin
    Heals received via Beacon of Light give no stacks.
    Guardian of Ancient Kings gives no stacks.
    Lay on Hands gives no stacks.
    Word of Glory gives no stacks.
    Divine Storm gives no stacks.
    Divine Shield does not clear stacks, and does not prevent further stacks from being generated.
    Holy Radiance gives 1 stack per person healed, HoT ticks do not add stacks.
    Light of Dawn gives 1 stack per person healed.
    Priest
    Desperate Prayer gives no stacks.
    Echo of Light gives no stacks (Holy Priest Mastery).
    Guardian Spirit gives no stacks.
    Prayer of Mending gives no stacks.
    Vampiric Embrace gives no stacks (Shadow Spec).
    Power Word: Barrier gives no stacks.
    Divine Aegis gives no stacks.
    Devouring Plague gives no stacks.
    Holy Word: Serenity gives 1 stack.
    Prayer of Healing gives 1 stack.
    Lightwell gives 1 stack per click (not per tick).
    Penance gives 1 stack per channel (not per tick).
    Power Word: Shield gives 1 stack, even without Glyph of Power Word: Shield.
    Binding Heal gives 1 stack to the target and 1 stack to the caster.
    Circle of Healing gives 1 stack per target healed.
    Holy Word: Sanctuary gives 1 stack, and 1 extra stack each time a player leaves and re-enters the AoE heal.
    Renew gives 1 stack for initial cast only, no stacks for ticks and no extra stacks when lengthened by Serenity Chakra (although the direct heal used to extend it will add a stack).
    Holy Nova gives 1 stack per person healed.
    Atonement gives 1 stack per heal, including 1 stack per tick of Holy Fire (Raid Wiper!).
    Divine Hymn gives 1 stack per tick. (Raid Wiper!)
    Shaman
    Earth Shield gives no stacks.
    Healing Stream Totem gives no stacks.
    Spirit Link Totem gives no stacks.
    Heals from Feral Spirit give no stacks.
    Stoneclaw Totem with Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem gives no stacks.
    Earthliving Weapon gives no stacks, although Unleash Life will give 1 stack.
    Chain Heal gives 1 stack per person healed.
    Healing Rain gives 1 stack, and 1 extra stack each time a player leaves and re-enters the AoE heal.
    Riptide gives 1 stack for the initial cast, not for ticks.

Death Knight
    Death Strike and Blood Shield (Blood DK Mastery) give no stacks.
    Death Pact gives no stacks.
    Rune Tap gives no stacks, even with Glyph of Rune Tap.
    Blood Parasite gives no stacks.
    Hunter
    Chimera Shot gives no stacks.
    Mage
    Evocation with Glyph of Evocation gives no stacks.
    Mana Shield gives no stacks.
    Mage Ward gives no stacks.
    Ice Block does not clear stacks.
    Rogue
    Recuperate gives no stacks.
    Warlock
    Healthstone gives no stacks.
    Drain Life gives no stacks.
    Fel Armor gives no stacks.
    Death Coil gives no stacks.
    Warrior
    Enraged Regeneration gives no stacks.
    Blood Craze gives no stacks.
    Victory Rush with Impending Victory gives no stacks.
    Other
    ALL trinket procs, weapon procs and set bonuses generate no stacks.
    Grounded Plasma Shield (Engineering Tinker) gives no stacks.
    Mythical Healing Potion, and other health potions give no stacks.
    Dense Embersilk Bandage, and other bandages give no stacks.
    Gift of the Naaru (Draenei Racial) gives 1 stack on initial cast, not for ticks.
    source http://www.wowhead.com/npc=55312/yor...eping#comments

Deleted
    Applying HR and Riptide before purple appears will not cause stacks.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=55312#comments - full list

Priest
    Desperate Prayer gives no stacks.
    Echo of Light gives no stacks (Holy Priest Mastery).
    Guardian Spirit gives no stacks.
    Prayer of Mending gives no stacks.
    Vampiric Embrace gives no stacks (Shadow Spec).
    Power Word: Barrier gives no stacks.
    Divine Aegis gives no stacks.
    Devouring Plague gives no stacks.
    Holy Word: Serenity gives 1 stack.
    Prayer of Healing gives 1 stack.
    Lightwell gives 1 stack per click (not per tick).
    Penance gives 1 stack per channel (not per tick).
    Power Word: Shield gives 1 stack, even without Glyph of Power Word: Shield.
    Binding Heal gives 1 stack to the target and 1 stack to the caster.
    Circle of Healing gives 1 stack per target healed.
    Holy Word: Sanctuary gives 1 stack, and 1 extra stack each time a player leaves and re-enters the AoE heal.
    Renew gives 1 stack for initial cast only, no stacks for ticks and no extra stacks when lengthened by Serenity Chakra (although the direct heal used to extend it will add a stack).
    Holy Nova gives 1 stack per person healed.
    Atonement gives 1 stack per heal, including 1 stack per tick of Holy Fire (Raid Wiper!).
    Divine Hymn gives 1 stack per tick. (Raid Wiper!)
    Shaman
    Earth Shield gives no stacks.
    Healing Stream Totem gives no stacks.
    Spirit Link Totem gives no stacks.
    Heals from Feral Spirit give no stacks.
    Stoneclaw Totem with Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem gives no stacks.
    Earthliving Weapon gives no stacks, although Unleash Life will give 1 stack.
    Chain Heal gives 1 stack per person healed.
    Healing Rain gives 1 stack, and 1 extra stack each time a player leaves and re-enters the AoE heal.
    Riptide gives 1 stack for the initial cast, not for ticks.
    Edit: Lol got beat to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Applying HR and Riptide before purple appears will not cause stacks.

Edit: Lol got beat to it.
    So if everyone stacks in my healing rain before purple hits then it won't count as a stack. That is frickin awesome. Thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    So if everyone stacks in my healing rain before purple hits then it won't count as a stack. That is frickin awesome. Thanks.
    But if they exit and then re-enter healing rain they will gain a stack, each time they re-enter the healing rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    But if they exit and then re-enter healing rain they will gain a stack, each time they re-enter the healing rain.
    Yeah I read that on one of the links. It's basically to get something started and have everyone hurry up and get into it. Try and throw three riptides on people before it goes as well. Then just single target with GHW for the win. I'll tell my priest the same thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Yeah I read that on one of the links. It's basically to get something started and have everyone hurry up and get into it. Try and throw three riptides on people before it goes as well. Then just single target with GHW for the win. I'll tell my priest the same thing.
    PW:S is a great thing to stack before purple appears. Good luck with the fight.

Deleted
    We just got it down yesterday with a resto sham and a disc priest. One particular thing we found out to work for us, was to assign one healer to each group. And shout when one healed the tank! (in 10man that is

Half of your purple phases will be green spread phases, half will be black stack phases (with blue being in both spread phases and black/blue or black/red being the stack phases).

The initial healing rain will make little difference for the stack phases because the damage isn't frontloaded, taking a bit to ramp up as black mobs spawn and only being in bursts from red. Black/blue/purple just has no real source of damage, so it's easy. So healing rain won't really make a difference, which is fine. You have large heals aplenty and they'll be more than sufficient. During spread phases you obviously won't be able to make much use of healing rain, which is also fine. Total damage is extremely low during this phase and it will constitute something of a regen period. Do NOT use cooldowns during either blue/green/purple phase.

Black/yellow/red is the bloodlust phase. Go nuts on heals, including things like tranquility or divine hymn.

Black/purple/red is the cooldown phase. Use raid-damage-reduction cooldowns (barrier, tank 4piece, spirit link, etc) to keep the damage manageable without needing too many heals. I'll talk more about this one in a second, as there are easy tricks to simplify it.

So all told you'll have 4 purple phases (at minimum) and each of them has different ways to succeed. Our raid's easiest success came with separating the groups by healer for most purple phases. Group 1 is melee and the melee's healer (dk tank, offspec ret, rogue/enh, holy paladin). Since the melee don't take green splash damage, this usually means the paladin is just tank healing. Group 2 is the ranged healer and the ranged dps (spriest, warlock, ele sham, mage, resto druid) and that will be the majority of the damage during the phase. Tank healing will probably be your job if your raid is disc/resto, since he'll be better able to throw big heals on the ranged group taking damage. Have him stack evangelism before the purple debuff is out for bonus archangel healing done, and make sure he uses bubble. So now both of the green/purple/blue are manageable, black/blue/purple has always been easy, black/blue/red you just use a mana cooldown, and black/red/yellow is just a go nuts phase. That leaves black/red/purple, which can be one of the trickiest for many raids.

Here's the secret, and it's not much of one. Red damage ramps up as you move further away from the boss, and he will prefer to target the people who are furthest away. That's the key. Your entire raid needs to be under him. Then, have a few people who are a little bit further out. I do NOT mean outside of the boss's hitbox, I just mean an inch further from the boss than the rest of the group. They'll get hit once or twice by the red nuke, then they move in. Someone else will get hit by it. By spreading the damage across the entire raid, you're limiting the number of heals any one person will require. Most raids won't do this automatically as they'll just plant their feet until the phase ends. This is easiest for melee to do since they'll lose no dps by backpeddling and moving forward, and the added bonus is that most melee have an easy way to mitigate the red damage. I, as a rogue, will let the first red go off, then feint and back out as the second is about to go off. I'll soak another and then move in. Easy. Do the same thing with a ret/dk/enh using their short-cooldown damage reduction abilities (glyphed dprot, ams, shamanistic rage). Don't bother trying to orchestrate groups of people moving in and out (bloodboil anyone?), just get a couple people you know are competent to move back and forth and make sure everyone else is glued to the boss's feet. Our healers don't even know that the enh shaman and I do this, as it doesn't involve them. It just makes healing dramatically easier, and the difference was visible once he and I figured it out. If people are ever so far away that I'm not getting hit when I intend to, you simply ask for them to stack more tightly under the boss.

Good luck with him! He's actually quite easy once you figure out the trick to each phase and once your raid understands how to reduce their damage taken. Zon'ozz, on the other hand, can be a bit of a pain for the healers.
    Last edited by Rime; 2012-03-28 at 09:32 AM.

Just curious if anyone knows how many people need to be at range for him to NOT hit the melee stack with the Green AoE damage?

If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize, I've not found it. The reason I'm asking is because we'd like to stack as many as possible in melee range to avoid the splash, unless its actually based on spec (which would negate the benefit). For instance, having our healers stack with the melee during green and only like 4 ranged actually taking the splash damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theandersc View Post
    We just got it down yesterday with a resto sham and a disc priest. One particular thing we found out to work for us, was to assign one healer to each group. And shout when one healed the tank! (in 10man that is
    If you have a debuff tracker on your raid frames, there's no need to yell anything. It helps tremendously to see the stacks of the group to avoid over healing.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kulbaen View Post
    Just curious if anyone knows how many people need to be at range for him to NOT hit the melee stack with the Green AoE damage?

If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize, I've not found it. The reason I'm asking is because we'd like to stack as many as possible in melee range to avoid the splash, unless its actually based on spec (which would negate the benefit). For instance, having our healers stack with the melee during green and only like 4 ranged actually taking the splash damage.
    Based on spec. Ranged and Healers need to be out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kulbaen View Post

I think its based on spec and since Porcell above me confirms it I guess its a safe bet to go with that. Green+Purple is quite easy though, there is no need to do much for those phases. Its black+purple+red and black+yellow+red that are hard.

The primary thing it's based on is whether there are any people who it would splash on. If any of the melee and I get careless, we will get hit by green and it will splash. After that it's based on targets who are outside of melee range. Our holy paladin, who is up with the melee since he's in group 1 and uses crusader strike for stack-free WoGs, NEVER gets hit by green. Ever. Blizzard doesn't design virtually any fight mechanics around spec.

By the way, it's worse for green to hit a specific 4 or whatever people. The larger number of people it hits, the lower the total spike is to one person, and the fewer purple debuffs that person will rack up. If we found it necessary we'd have our paladin stand out with the range, but it's not.

My casual guild was wondering on heroic if with the -15% if you could 3 heal, and always kill purple when it's up and have less problems? Would be 2 holy priests and a resto druid.

Yes you can three heal this, but once you get the hang of purple its incredibly boring to do so. The easiest way to handle purple for any healer comp on 10man is to just assign group and cycle through the group using your biggest heal. If any of your healers has even a 3rd rate dps spec, go that route.

We normally 2 heal with either shaman/pally or shaman/druid (pally/druid soon if he will drop my bloody boots). But we have 3 healed it on multiple occasions due to a lack of raiders and none of us having viable dps off-specs. Things will die slower and all the healers will be needed to dps the oozes. It really is easier to go with 2 healers.