Atramedes question

SO my guild put attempts in on Atramedes tonight and I was wondering 2 things. How many ground phases should you go through before he dies? (relatively) Also, how many gongs should you be using per air phase? Obviously it can vary, but I'm just wondering from a general stand point if you can usually get away with just using 1 gong each air phase (we seemed to use 2 each time). 10 man if this matters or changes anything

Deleted
    3 ground phases if the dps is good otherwise 4.
    As for the gonks u only need 1 per air phase - cant really see where u waste a second one- and 1 per ground phase ( maybe 2 if somebody felt like staying in tha groove for too long and his sound hits 500)

Ideally u should have 2 gonks to spare in the end and thats with 4 ground phases
    Last edited by mmoc65c75425f9; 2011-02-04 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Ideally u should have 2 gonks to spare in the end and thats with 4 ground phases
    My guild even likes to blow the extra gongs when hes at low hp for the 100% bonus damage for 5 seconds and so we don't need to slide around from the breath

While your gong kiter is learning it you might end up using 2 gongs per air phase. However with practice, and using abilities (sprint, Dash, Life grip) well and the occasional consumable (those swiftness pots from the lame fishing dailies have a use!) you should only need 1. If you manage to do 1 or 2 air phases with just 1 gong you'll have plenty of drums to kill him without worry.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    We usually have 2 Air phases, 3 at most! We use every gong available

Thank you everyone.

While this post is here, I've got another Atramedes question.

During the air phase, I've been unable to perform any melee DPS, but there are reports to the contrary on Wowhead, and I'd like to get a definitive answer. Can melee DPS continue to attack Atramedes during his air phase?

I have not been able to melee him while he is in the air.

Our first kill last week (we left him till after cho'gal) we only used 5 gongs total with 0 deaths.
    Our kill this week was weird, all the timings in dbm seemed to be slightly off and we had to use 7 or 8 gongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoh View Post

During the air phase, I've been unable to perform any melee DPS, but there are reports to the contrary on Wowhead, and I'd like to get a definitive answer. Can melee DPS continue to attack Atramedes during his air phase?
    Im almost positive you can't melee him in air phase, at least I couldn't.

No melee in the air. You can use a ranged weapon (Thrown for Rogues - me) to keep up stacks of things like Fluid Death and Tia's Grace, though.

You want to aim for 3-4 Ground Phases. If you have a Rogue, he will be able to do every single Air Phase, as sprint will be ready for each one. Have him learn to wait as long as possible to use sprint, make good use of Life Grip and don't forget Body & Soul. If you have no Rogue, things can be very tricky, and you will really want to make good use of Life Grip, Body & Soul and other abilities. Druids can spring, regardless of spec, remember, but theirs is on a longer cooldown.

As I think you understand, the soft enrage via gongs is what you have to worry about most as far as time goes. If you have zero speed boosts in your raid whatsoever, you likely weill need two gongs and you can get away with it provided you only use one gong per ground phase at the searing flame which means people can't be careless with their sound. However, this stricly limits you to having to kill him before the searing flame on the fourth ground phase, but this shouldn't be overly difficult if everyone stays alive, as that is like 8 minutes in anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Antny View Post
    Im almost positive you can't melee him in air phase, at least I couldn't.
    Dang. I was hoping that there would be a way to keep up License to Slay stacks, but oh well. Spam Exorcism will have to suffice.

can you predict who he does the tracking on while hes in the air or is it completely random??

Quote Originally Posted by Synexlol View Post
    If you have a Rogue, he will be able to do every single Air Phase, as sprint will be ready for each one. Have him learn to wait as long as possible to use sprint, make good use of Life Grip and don't forget Body & Soul. If you have no Rogue, things can be very tricky, and you will really want to make good use of Life Grip, Body & Soul and other abilities. Druids can spring, regardless of spec, remember, but theirs is on a longer cooldown.
    Just a clarification - Rogues aren't the only good kiting class, but they are the most consistent.
    If you have a druid that is not a healer they make a better kiter - at least for 1 or 2 phases. Dash lasts longer than Sprint but with a 3 min CD.
    Ghost Wolf, especially glyphed, is very viable.
    Warriors can do their leap.
    With Body and Soul and Life Grip anyone can kite.

---------- Post added 2011-02-05 at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by uncannyllama View Post
    can you predict who he does the tracking on while hes in the air or is it completely random??
    Pretty sure its the person with the highest sound. Which DBM now tracks sound levels for the entire raid.

Quote Originally Posted by pedrodevaca View Post
    Pretty sure its the person with the highest sound. Which DBM now tracks sound levels for the entire raid.
    Nope, it's random.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargom View Post
    Nope, it's random.
    This is true, I've definitely been at 0 sounds going into air phase with someone else being in the 80s and still got chosen.

Also some people say it goes faster the higher your sound. I'm pretty sure thats also false and it just speeds up over time like Anub spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoh View Post

Depends on class. Paladins can use exorcism and Judgment for avoiding fires/sound waves. But no, you can't do it Stonecore style and jump while stood beneath the boss to hit Atra.

For melee this fight is incredibly simple (for once, a simple at least sort-of friendly melee fight). Stay away from fire, stay away from bosses mouth, don't be stood under the belly but rather at edge of hit box, and avoid the sound wave circles. Air phase, all you have to concentrate on is not standing in fire or getting hit by fire (ie avoiding the sound waves).
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."