rping as a Lich?

I play and rp a forsaken warlock as my main, and for a story idea I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on me rping him as transforming into a psuedo-lich. (More like Helcular or maybe duskwood's Morbent Fel) I don't think it's a horrible idea but wanted to see other's thoughts on it. If so how could I accomplish this?

Read up a bit on Liches. I'm sure that there'll be a loophole somewhere. Also, a Lich that broke off the Scourge when Bolvar took over could be a decent approach. Similar to the Val'kyr. He just joined the Forsaken too.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is already a "Friendly" Lich in Archerus The Ebon Hold.
    I'm sure that even a Lich that is freed could form an Allegiance with a different Faction/Race.
    It wouldn't be too weird for a Lich to join The Forsaken because I am sure that the Forsaken would be the only ones to allow a Lich to join their ranks.
    Dawwwwwww

Cool, ya I thought so, but wasn't sure. I know the lore, but classes like that are weird. Also to clarify, my character has been established already, but in his back story he was in life a renegade mage underling of pre-Lich King Kel'thuzad. (Like Helcular) I just thought that other than the blatant undead summoning, affliction warlocks act mechanically wise as many of the WOTLK Necromancers. And by lich, I was thinking more of a "Steals souls, has a phylactery, and can raise spirits of the damned through dark rituals" type thing. Also which class (other than death knight) do you think is best for this role?

Thanks for the help with my horrible decision-making skills.
    Last edited by heftypanda; 2011-02-05 at 06:16 PM.

Just throwing in my opinion-
    Whether the Forsaken would allow a Lich or not, you'd probably be killed on sight. :S

Quote Originally Posted by TJSin12 View Post
    Whether the Forsaken would allow a Lich or not, you'd probably be killed on sight. :S
    Not always. In Vanilla WoW there was a quest for the forsaken where you recruit a Lich. Although he didn't have the same model file as most liches, he was still considered one. He was the forsaken in the middle of the lake in Tristfal Glades.

Quote Originally Posted by TJSin12 View Post
    The Forsaken didn't exactly kill the Val'kyr on sight, so why should they kill a Lich on sight?

Lichs are necromantic beings and were in control of a vast amount of scourge forces, and most of the forsaken still carried a grudge against necromancers, as they were their slavers during the scourge era, so they at very least distrusted them as long as the scourge existed.

However this view has been changing since the death of the Lich King and the Val'kyr stuff;

They now seem to see necromancy as a means to keep them from dying out, so if there is a time to rp as a lich it is now.

edit:

That reminds me if I am remembering correctly a Lich also gives up his living body willingly to become one, so almost all of them were in alliance with the scourge. I would assume just very few lichs were slaves to the lich king and most were loyal servants. So that leaves us with very few that would join the Forsaken, but there are, so if you write a good story, go for it.

If you want to find a class suitable for a lich; you might take a read into the WoW-RPG classes. they vary much wider that the wow classes and offer some very unique feels of classes, maybe you find one that suits more than warlock or necromancer.
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2011-02-15 at 02:06 PM.

Though most liches are scourge-based, there IS that one lich on the island in Tirisfal who was unaffiliated with them. Liches are necromancers who have split their soul from their body, placing the soul into an object (traditionally an object; it's debatable whether you can put one's soul into a living being, for a number of reasons ranging from security to even being able to do it in the first place), and transforming their body with dark rituals to becone undead, and immortal.

Note that being necromancers doesn't mean they only weild shadow magic, though for a lich not created by the scourge (who tend to favor frost magic a little more than shadow magic), shadow magic is usually their preferred and strongest style of magic. A Lich is, simply, a powerful undead mage. They can weild any type of magic they did in life, though Holy and Nature magic, even if learned before the transformation, would abandon them, considering that they willingly went against the laws of nature and the Light.

I say "necromancers" though because the magic used to make oneself a lich is advanced necromancy. Of course, anyone magically oriented can become a necromancer. The "arcane" magical schools are fun in that way; you can start as any class you desire, and can, over time, become another class.

At any rate, that's my take on the technical shtuff in being a Lich.

You might also want to take a look at Ras Frostwhisper. Of course, with the Lich King dead, it seems rather impractical for him to become one now through Menethil's Gift, and the merits of having your character personally raised by Arthas are questionable at best.

That said, a Forsaken becoming a Lich seems rather... Unnecessary. You're already undead, and especially as a warlock, you already have the means to ensure your continued survival should you be killed, which are the two major points of interest involved in becoming a Lich. Most liches, at least in DnD, become them so that they may live beyond their mortal lifespans so they can continue their studies or to accumulate power, or to provide a failsafe in the event that they should die- You've already got those bases covered.

As it seems possible, Only a master of Roleplaying could pull that off, I sure couldn't... :/