Deleted

_NPCscan and Overlay

I'm new at using both of these add-ons, and I'm having some questions wich couldn't be solved with google

Does Overlay show the areas where the npcs are the moment the map got scanned? It was pretty accurate in Outland, but in Northend I seem to miss more than 50% of what the add-on shows. I figured it could be that they got killed, but even after closing WoW and clearing the creature cache I still get notifications of the (pressumed) whereabouts of these mobs...I'm fairly sure I didn't miss them, especially the rares with a very small area should be easily to spot, but they are not there...

Overlay shows their spawn points and pathing; not where they are at that exact point in time.

Deleted
    I know, but it does show only the mobs that are 'online' at that moment, iirc. And some mobs look like they are there the entire day, but not vicibly there...

Edit: For Example: The first time I used it I saw red dots in Terrokar, indicating a rare-birdlike mob. 7 hours later a green track popped up, where Doomspeaker-whatshisname could be, but he wasn't there....
    Last edited by mmocc4309604a4; 2011-02-04 at 11:08 PM.

The overlays (the colored areas on your map) do not mean the rare creature is currently there. It just means that if the rare is up he will be in those areas because he spawns and patrols there. The addon has no way to automatically know if the creature is actually up until you are pretty close. When a little announcement pops up on your screen (makes noise and shows NPC's name and picture I believe), that means the rare is nearby. Also, once you get one of these pop up announcements and hopefully kill/tame said creature it will not pop up again for that same creature, even if you are close by, until you clear your creature catch.
    Last edited by Marise; 2011-02-05 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athryl View Post
    The overlays (the colored areas on your map) do not mean the rare creature is currently there. It just means that if the rare is up he will be in those areas because he spawns and patrols there. The addon has no way to automatically know if the creature is actually up until you are pretty close. When a little announcement pops up on your screen (makes noise and shows NPC's name and picture I believe), that means the rare is nearby. Also, once you get one of these pop up announcements and hopefully kill/tame said creature it will not pop up again, even if you are close by, until you clear your creature catch.
    There's an option to still show/announce mobs even if you've already got them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    There's an option to still show/announce mobs even if you've already got them.
    Isn't that only in regard to if you already have the achievement? If it's already in your creature cache I thought it could not be detected again, as it uses your cache to find them in the first place.

Edit: As in there is an option to announce even if you have the achievement for that particular rare, but you would still need to clear your cache...if that makes sense...

Isn't that only in regard to if you already have the achievement? If it's already in your creature cache I thought it could not be detected again, as it uses your cache to find them in the first place.

The Add-on is mainly for the achievement yes. That's why by default it doesn't show paths and the pop up after you get them. If you check the box, it disregards the Achievement and will still show paths on your map and announce Rares if they're near by.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.

Yes but I am not talking about for achievements. I am saying if you kill or just fly by a rare and NPCscan detects it, it will not show it again until you clear your creature cache, regardless of whether it is for an achievement. It is true however that if the rare is part of an achievement, you will need to clear your creature cache AND check that box.

Yes but I am not talking about for achievements. I am saying if you kill or just fly by a rare and NPCscan detects it, it will not show it again until you clear your creature cache, regardless of whether it is for an achievement. It is true however that if the rare is part of an achievement, you will need to clear your creature cache AND check that box.
    I'm not talking about for achievements either... If that Box is checked and a rare is nearby a pop up will come up. Regardless if you have it for the achievement or not.

Edit:
    Meaning if you've got the rare before and come across it again without clearing Cache, the pop will still come up.

I believe you are mistaken, this is why NPCscan tells you which creatures are in your cache when you log in each time - so you know if you need to clear your cache.

Directly from NPCscan's information page:
    This addon doesn't use nameplates or mouseover units to find rares. Instead, it checks your creature cache for the moment a rare mob is found. There is one catch to this technique however: Once a mob is “found”, _NPCScan won't be able to find it again until your cache is cleared. If you find a rare mob's corpse—Dirkee for example—you would have to clear your cache before _NPCScan would find Dirkee again. Thankfully, clearing your cache is a safe and simple matter.
    Also
    The “Search for completed Achievement NPCs” checkbox at the top left of the pane allows you to keep looking for mobs you no longer need for achievements.
    Does not mention anything about not needing to clear cache, just that it won't skip them just because you already have them on your achievement.

I believe you are mistaken, this is why NPCscan tells you which creatures are in your cache when you log in each time - so you know if you need to clear your cache.

Directly from NPCscan's information page:

Also
    Does not mention anything about not needing to clear cache, just that it won't skip them just because you already have them on your achievement.
    /shrug
    I have it checked and I have no problem picking up repeats without clearing cache.

The overlay just shows the known locations where those mobs may be located, not whether they are currently present or not, since without coming across it that will not be known.
    It will by default turn off the display of any you have currently cached, which makes sense because due to being cached you will not see an alert should you come across one.
    As for the location when you come close enough to one, it is only a guess since you cannot determine where it is, only knowing that the game client has "seen" it, and therefore (in most cases) is within a 100 yards range.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    /shrug
    I have it checked and I have no problem picking up repeats without clearing cache.
    _NPCscan uses the NPC model cache to detect whether a rare is nearby. It has no way to detect the presence of a rare spawn if you have its model already cached.

Period.

Deleted
    Ah, right. I see what went wrong here
    Thanks for the answers ^^