Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hmmm I played in beta 5 and most of the current beta 6. I just got bored, which is dissapointing because I was hyped about it for ages It's not a bad game though. And it seems that all a game needs is a "push W to move forward" and people cry "WOW CLONE" :/ Ignore the trolls, form your own opinions on the game. If you like it enjoy! If you don't then play halo. Its awesome:P
    [21:24:13] [G] [80:Exeption]: i'm a warlock kinda harry potter myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    hes not that technologically advanced, all he needs is google and a right hand

I don't understand the fascination of Rift either, I have heard "The questing is so much more fun in Rift than in WoW" when i played in the Rift 5th beta, questing was about as fun as vanilla questing. Kill <X> amount of this or collect <X> amount of that then the occasional go click on this one specific thing. Pvp was just battlegrounds nothing new or exciting. Only thing the game has going for it is the possible amount of specialization options they have with all the souls other than that it is another MMO that everyone will forget soon enough.

WoW fanboys.... give me something WoW has that Rift does not?

Please say lore because you know WoW threw lore out the window with Cataclysm.

LoL people judge it like it is NOT IN BETA.

Guess what it is, and WoW isn't, so it really isn't fair ground to compare, in anything but design, intentions/goals and gameplay. Rift isn't ringing in the millions to billions yet from multi-million dollar customer base yet either

Quote Originally Posted by Yuckmouth View Post
    WoW fanboys.... give me something WoW has that Rift does not?

Please say lore because you know WoW threw lore out the window with Cataclysm.
    Some are just crazed fanboys, others are people that realize that a majority of these rift threads are idiots who claim it is better than wow because it is new. Iirc Warhammer had the same following back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    So this is generic to you? Show me in WoW where I can find this. Also you are embarrassing me as an American by your pure lazy approach

The devs specifically said Rift NPCs can engage in wars with other Rifts and NPCs, which I find much better than WoW and a good motive to explore. There is a lot of open-world stuff that isn't boringly streamlined with WoW.

Was is a just a very comfortable game, that's all it has over Rift I can think of the top of my mind, easy to jump into and be relaxed and everything is simple(not saying dirt easy or anything in regards to math but the overall feel is simple), which is good.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 04:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    a game set to release in a month shouldn't have the same issues all through beta.

That said, I'll likely try it at some point. Looks like it could be good even though the races are lame enough to bore me to tears and the character animations seem a tad sloppy.
    OH you remind me Rift character models SUCK, good customization options but they suck, most to half are just so ugly especially something with the noses of most of the races to there forehead and eyes looks weird.

The customization options don't feel much like options when half the body augmenting options make ur char look like it has down syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by itsthemoops View Post
    You can also form 40man raids of random people to kill world bosses in wow as well. Only difference is in rift its for the super exciting event of closing rifts. Yeah, have fun with that.
    World bosses don't exist anymore

Directed to itsthemoops, The Rift closing events are just kill wave 1, 2 and 3 of adds and you win. mindlessly killing waves of shit isn't fun in any game and traveling across the map to buttfuck nowhere isn't fun either lol.

Deleted
    First I have to point out that I am not hating.

When ppl say that graphics in Rift is better than wow, I have to say that it is pretty wierd to compare those to each other. WoW is more of a cartoony graphic style that is appealing to children and childish adults who don't like to look at the half dark more realistic layout. While Rift is the more "realistic" graphic choice as we see in Aion. every one keeps saying that graphics are better, but srly. if you take a screenshot of each game, and set them up against each other. do you really think you can compare them to each other

Deleted
    the game is fail, travel is a problem never had a problem in cata beta with travel, combat is fail to slow, animation is pants, combat sounds are rubbish, not new user friendly, i dont hate the game so im not a hater,these are just the problems i came across, also you all keep saying ''well its a beta give them chance'' they have 17 days to sort all the bugs and stuff out cant see it myself...if you like playing a game where you just do get this get that quests (thought they would have upped their quests what with the brilliant quests in cata) and the whole game feels like it is just going to bed so slow and dozy then fair play to ya but dont come here to tell us about it and then moan when we tell you the problems because you are all blinded by it...its new and different i get that but i cant see it lasting.

I feel they only copied everything from WoW that was good, made it look (a little) nicer, and then added a lot of features that people suggested for WoW, but never got attention. Like more character options, the ability to give your gear another color etc.

Tried the beta, tried to understand the story behind it, but the whole ''My soul gets recycled in the future, but i forgot who i actually was so i have to choose (3) new souls, then i get sent back to the past to stop the bad guy'' thing pretty retarded.

Another thing is that when you get your 3 talent trees, you have about 15 abilities, but you dont even need 80% of them because they suck. Unless talented for maybe, but then again you are better off talenting the abilities that are better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    So you mean you don't agree with the lore... It still has better lore and it feels so much better.
    The main problem with Rift are the 50+ "RIFT WILL KILL WOW AND WOW SUCKS AND I STOP PLAYING TO DO RIFT"-threads we get every day.

Other problems with Rift are:
    -The Rift invasions which get boring after 3 Rifts.
    -The balance between souls.
    -The fact that it's almost an exact copy of WoW.
    -And let's not forget the graphics, they are fugly, annoying and you can't even take a decent look around you.

Rift offers nothing over WoW, WoW offers 6 years of balance and experience in PvE and 4 years in PvP.
    Ok, seriously, making rubbish up to make a point really is BS.

1. There are not 50+ "Rift will kill wow" threads, there may have been 1, a long while back, but none since.
    2. The rift invasions got boring to you, problably because you havent done them all and don't understand yet how they work to get decent loot.
    3. Balance is not an issue, and if you think WoW is well balanced, you are seriously clueless, blizzard have stated over and over they will not balance for 1v1, and just go read all the Frost Mage QQ, then ask yourself why people generally only play a few specs except for specific fights and why top guilds still raid stack certain classes.
    4. Exact copy of WoW... WoW the first MMO you played right? Must be if you think this.
    5. Graphics are Fugly, opinion, but seriously, lets not compare to WoW's graphics that suck even after 6 years of development.

Rift offers so much over wow, and the main ones are getting away from LFD idiots, the same dreary profession grinds, Chinese gold farmers and Bots, hackers, and playing something fresh with a bunch of people who have more experience than just WoW and can see the future.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 10:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dooffie66 View Post
    First I have to point out that I am not hating.

When ppl say that graphics in Rift is better than wow, I have to say that it is pretty wierd to compare those to each other. WoW is more of a cartoony graphic style that is appealing to children and childish adults who don't like to look at the half dark more realistic layout. While Rift is the more "realistic" graphic choice as we see in Aion. every one keeps saying that graphics are better, but srly. if you take a screenshot of each game, and set them up against each other. do you really think you can compare them to each other
    Look at the trees in wow, they look like they are printed on s heet of paper and then cut into hexagons and slotted together. The trees in rift are actually properly modelled. Thats just one example.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 10:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstarrr View Post

Another thing is that when you get your 3 talent trees, you have about 15 abilities, but you dont even need 80% of them because they suck. Unless talented for maybe, but then again you are better off talenting the abilities that are better anyway.
    If you have a think about this I am sure you can work out why this is, and yes you would only use the abilities you have talented for the most part with a few notable exceptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammagia View Post
    Ok, seriously, making rubbish up to make a point really is BS.

1. There are not 50+ "Rift will kill wow" threads, there may have been 1, a long while back, but none since.
    2. The rift invasions got boring to you, problably because you havent done them all and don't understand yet how they work to get decent loot.
    3. Balance is not an issue, and if you think WoW is well balanced, you are seriously clueless, blizzard have stated over and over they will not balance for 1v1, and just go read all the Frost Mage QQ, then ask yourself why people generally only play a few specs except for specific fights and why top guilds still raid stack certain classes.
    4. Exact copy of WoW... WoW the first MMO you played right? Must be if you think this.
    5. Graphics are Fugly, opinion, but seriously, lets not compare to WoW's graphics that suck even after 6 years of development.

Rift offers so much over wow, and the main ones are getting away from LFD idiots, the same dreary profession grinds, Chinese gold farmers and Bots, hackers, and playing something fresh with a bunch of people who have more experience than just WoW and can see the future.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 10:03 AM ----------

Look at the trees in wow, they look like they are printed on s heet of paper and then cut into hexagons and slotted together. The trees in rift are actually properly modelled. Thats just one example.
    Have to agree on the World objects rocks and tree's in Rift look like rocks and trees and no 2 trees are the same model.
    Wow has box shaped trees with a wood color on them, thats something to agree on.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    (been playing wow since vanilla, before aq gates event)

Rift seems indeed to be a WoW with updated graphics.
    However I did enjoy the beta, maybe because it's a little glitchy, reminding me the good old days

I don't think it will be a wow killer, but I do think it might be a pretty decent mmo, with enough thing to have fun.
    I'm not sure the hardcore gamers will enjoy it. But it can fill a niche for casual gamers / ex-hardcore gamers.

I just hope, that when it will go live there will be less flood on the channels about wow... it's kinda annoying to always see people comparing it and ruining the lore. (Because yes there is one... the only difference is that we didn't have 3 warcraft games to learn it.)

Okay WoW player here for 5 years +. and what I have to say is, I like Rift.
    And as for WoW here is what I think. Cata has not been so much fun, since 10 mans are gone I have nothing to do with my self or my guildiess/ friends over the weekend 10 mans were cool they were easy and sometimes certain gear from a 10 man would be cool, so it made it worth running. now that they are gone, there is 3-4 days of which I have nothing to do on WoW, I maxed out my dungeon achievments, my rep, my gear, within 2 weeks time of cata, it was freakin quick, and with out attunments, there is much less of a grind to aim for any kind of goal. BUT I still like WoW, because the end game is still pretty fun to me, so I always look forward to the 25 man raid days. But I do not look forward to those days ending and waiting for it to happen again =/.

Now as for my views on Rift, so far its givin me a lot to do to fill in my spare time. The specs are amazing, the possibilities seem almost endless right now with all the combos you could do. Rifts and the rift events them selves give you something to do while you quest, if you get bored of questing and want to kill shit, you can go do it almost all the time, and there is normally a raid around to do it with to go fight off invasions, you are even offered rewards and can pretty much always get a few things from the vendors before leaving that current level zone. The dungeons are great, they have the right amount of difficulty, Im a pretty solid player, and so are my friends, but we still make mistakes once in a while, we were playing thinking this one boss in a low level dungeon was just a joke, then out of no where, fucking owns us in 1 shot. Its like wow, they really expect something out of you, which is awesome! I like a little bit of a challenge.

Now compairing that to WoW now, it is like this. you quest quest quest quest(You can dungeon que but that can take up a lot of time and they are pretty easy) But alting in WoW for me so far, is kind of stale I mean its the samething you quest and you quest, the same npcs, the same situation , nothing really different happens through out it, but the Rift system gives you some extra things to do. Which is why leveling has actually been fun for me on there.

The environments are great to, you think you are just gonna see grass in one zone, but oh hey look there is a beach!, or hey on that side its a fucking canyon!

Anyway, to sum it up, its a great game looks great, feels great, tons to do, lots of possibilities in specs. Its just great.
    But really I do not think it will catch on like WoW has been doing. WoW caters to there larger fan base of easy going people who do not want to spend all day on something, which is okay, I can live with that. And WoW also caters to people who are on a low budget, which is nice, to think of the people who can not afford a beast machine, its real family type oriented. Rift, will how ever, not have that advantage with them, but I think they are okay with that. and I think they will still try to be a company that listens to there auidience on how to make the game better, which will still make them a good company. But WoW has lore, great lore, awesome lorez and the raids have been fun. Rifts lore I have not honestly even paid attention to to be honest, but to me its still a great game.

All in all, it will come down to this Will rift be as strong as it is in beta? could be, but it really all depends on the Lore, the raids, and how they treat the customer. They got the customer part down so far. But we will see how the rest goes, I will remain optimistic for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dammagia View Post
    If you have a think about this I am sure you can work out why this is, and yes you would only use the abilities you have talented for the most part with a few notable exceptions.
    Then the whole point of having 3 trees is...? No matter how many options you have, after some time a cookie cutter spec will be found, and people who actually care about performance will jump to that.

Or you could argue that ''You play the game for fun'', which is totally fine of course but dont use that as an excuse for being bad.
    Last edited by Lobstarrr; 2011-02-07 at 10:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimegamax View Post
    I for one was in the Rift Beta for a week.. and I hated it. Sure at first, I thought it was kind of cool. But then I realised : Hey.. What did they bring to the table with this game? Heres what they added :

- Rifts
    - More Talent Trees and class possibilitys

I mean, Rift does not even have a specific lore.. Which sucks since I like story oriented games.

Now before you guys rage, I have not played WoW for 1 month.. So I am not a WoW Lover, im just pointing out my point of view.
    And out of those talent trees and shizzle, you only got couple combinations that actually work well enough for end game. Just like WoW. So much for all the options. :|

And the game would be BETTER without the god damn rifts. They are one of the most annoying things about the game.

Deleted
    i played the beta 5 and a bit of the 6th..

i found it incredibly boring

Rift just feels like Aion, and we saw how that did in the US...

I've spent the last 2 days in the latest beta, stress testing the servers. Here are my thoughts.

Is it a WoW clone? To a degree, yes. The interface, combat, questing, npc AI, all somewhat similar. Very similar. Is that a bad thing? No. Blizzard has spent YEARS stealing other people's ideas from other games and incorporating it into WoW, to make it what it is today. Rift has done this, but with prettier graphics and a few tweaks that, IMO, are a lot better.

Story? Lore? Its there. The story grabs you fairly quickly, if you READ THE QUESTS and all the text instead of just 'oh, ok, i gotta go collect these rocks'... why do you need the rocks, thats where the story is. The storyline is actually pretty nice. I enjoyed it a lot, but what I did NOT like was 'go kill 10 boars', which every mmo has and is rather cliche.

Rifts. Cool idea. Keeps you involved, since at any point an invasion group from a nearby rift may try to take over your quest hub. Which sucks, when that happens. But, since you get rewards for closing rifts and invasions, you'll see alot of people running around farming rifts, which makes them not intolerable as you're trying to level through a zone.

Leveling... ah, leveling. After having heirloom item xp bonuses on most of my toons in WoW, leveling without in Rift feels like it takes forever. But, I was trying to hurry since I was on a limited time frame, and wanted to see more than the starting zone. Quests flow really nicely, and you'll be running all over from one end of the zone to the other doing quests, all of which flow from one to the other nicely. Built in quest helper, usable quest items in the quest tracker on side of screen... like wow... yeah, pretty easy. The mobs you'll fight, not pushovers. You WILL die occasionally from some creep or mob that decides you look like you're carrying his favorite candy in your bags.

Dying in Rift... sucks. You'll get a stacking debuff on you that costs money to have removed. Which sucks. But with no repair bill from dying I suppose this is how they do it in rift. BUT!!! Once per hour every class and character can self rez, so thats actually pretty damn useful.

All in all, I didn't get to do everything I wanted, since I was pushing to get out of the starting area and see more of the world... which is GORGEOUS. Beyond belief. I didn't get any crafting done, so I can't say how that is, and the PvP wasn't working due to the fact I think that they tested pvp last weekend and just wanted to do stress tests on the server... by creating TONS of rifts at once and nearly destroying the entire map with npcs at times (soooo much insanity lol).

Will I quit WoW for Rift? I can't say. The game is pretty cool, from what I've seen so far, but who knows whats at the end game? But its a huge (and I mean HUGE) world to explore, and its new, and its shiny, so it'll hold me for a while, I'm sure.
    "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. "