[Cinema] Question about the film industry

This might have been posted in the wrong section, but i felt this wasn't about a specific film or genera, but though i might as well post it here. If it is posted wrongly though, i do apologize.

Considering how many player there are in wow i thought i might find some people that might know something about this. After starting to subscribe to things on you tube i started to realize that movies that comes out in the US takes forever to come over to us here 'across the pond'. Most of the movies i had some interest in watching has been out in the US for quite some time now (around 2months) but i can not for the life of me think of a good reason for this. I guess it can be something in the lines of Hollywood having a vendetta against countries that uses the metric system, then.. OK. It's their movie, they can do that. The things that comes to mind though is they always claim to fight against piracy, but this seems to be working against that. When you check you tube and find a lot of reviews of films not even close to being released here yet in your sub-box, you kinda want to see it. If you are in an online network thing where there are quite a lot of Americans, hearing how great this and that movie was doesn't make it easier to not want to see it. Sadly the only way to do that is to download it illegally.

So my question is; Do any of you know if there is a good reason to this 2 month delay? We got Iron Man 2 before the US so it can't be shipping issues now can it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Legal issues regarding distribution? Also getting movies cleared by each countries ratings board.

Has a bit to do with scheduling a movie for release at a point when the studio thinks it can gross a lot in sales, and take a #1 spot. You'll notice a 2-3 week stagger sometimes between the flagpole summer releases in the US even. So for example Spiderman 4 were set for say third week of may from Fox....then 2nd week of June along comes the new James Bond from WB.

** I did no research into which studios own which franchises, it's just an example so don't get on me about oh Fox doesn't own Spidey etc. **

Probably shipping is a factor. I know that films that are shipped to different countries have to be sealed and locked to avoid tampering and pass through customs and, I guess, get screened to make sure that there isn't any "burn down your country and worship Uncle Sam" messages.

It seems like it's the same with some foreign films, that they take a while to get over here. Though, obviously, there's going to be a difference in release dates for blockbusters. I'm sure that the process is different for digital films, as well, so I imagine that the format is also going to be a factor in releasing.
    Last edited by gunner_recall; 2011-02-06 at 05:31 AM.

Lol yes. We greedy Americans don't want to show our awesome movies to you poor Europeans who use teh metric. GET YOUR OWN HOLLYWOOD BRAHS.

There are many good reasons here, and adding them together i would guess this would hold the movie back a week, maybe to at the most. perhaps a month if that country has large amounts of red tape to cut to get a movie released. This on the other hand should just effect that country and not the others but who knows how they work.

Hehe, the metric thing was meant as a joke to liven up my rather dull post.

It wasn't really meant as an anti USA post in any way. It was more a question to get an answer that makes the wait for the, what seems to be at least, awesome movies to come here less dull. As any other country in the world we do indeed produce our own film and like any other film in the world the quality varies. I do see how the number of films getting released here might be a problem for enough entertainment. As a smaller nation we lack the same entertainment knowhow the US has, so you could say we import entertainment from them in the same way they import oil and other goods from us that they might be lacking. But i will take your post into consideration and add greedy to my list of possible reasons.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would also cost a whole lot of money to advertise/distribute a film worldwide at the same time. Staggering the release lets them gauge how much they spend on it after the US release. For something like Scott Pilgrim or some other movie that didn't do as well as people thought it would, it saves them money by not spending everything at once and hoping it works out.