Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Why would I be. It's not like I have any intention to hang out with anyone who'd judge me based on something I do that doesn't harm anyone :C

I wasn't embarrassed back when I was in school because most of my floormates played the game and well they were the ones that got me to play it in the first place (lol i was really against Mmo's before they convinced me to start beta).

I'm not embarrassed now, most of the time people at parties that are making fun of people who play wow, sit in front of their TV screens watching shows which I usually can argue and finally make them agree is no different then wow. Someone completely addicted to WoW still holds that stigma but thats no different then someone watching way to much TV, drinking to much or anything else, when it starts affecting other people around you then its a problem.

You have to do what you love to do and forget what the rest of the world thinks of it, in the end one step to being happy is to be happy with who you are. I'm perfectly fine being called a nerd for playing WoW or any of the other video games I play, and I'm perfectly fine with people calling me crazy for running as much as I do, or wanting to do triathlons / Iron-mans someday. Gotta do what you love, someone will always think its weird but hell who isn't weird?
    Desktop - AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8ghz - 8GB DDR3 OCZ - Sapphire 7870
    Laptop - M11X. Revision1 - 1.7ghz ULV Dual Core - 4GB DDR2 - GT335M

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I brag about it too much to be embarrassed about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, not embaressed. A lot of my friends are gamers and either play or have tried it and play other games. If I meet someone new, it's not the first thing out of my mouth, but I wouldn't be ashamed of mentioning it.

Everyone knows that I am a gamer, what game I am playing makes no difference to anyone at all. The only people that will see gaming as weird are the old farts that just don't understand.

Sometimes I am, but then I remember that it's my hobby of choice and that it's something I really enjoy. Does a musician feel embarrassed about being a bank geek or does a singer shy away from the fact that they have an awesome voice? Do football players typically hide their love for their sport? Do those who love rebuilding classic cars or those who love fishing generally feel ashamed of their chosen hobbies?

Answer: not usually.

Why should we gamers be embarrassed?

It's all relative though, and depends on the person/group with which you're speaking. Yeah, WoW comes with a certain stigma that is sometimes true with some cases, so it may be best to avoid talking about it in some situations, but when talking to other friends, it shouldn't be a big deal. If it is, perhaps you need new friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes x 100000000000000000000
    Telling someone you play WoW in school is the ultimate social life destroyer. Where i live anyway.

Deleted
    hell no, wow rocks,.

I've also never once been embarrassed to talk about WoW, even with some kids who looked very nerdy in high school or college. Not one person I've ever met has once said or displayed any negativity towards me for playing. If you act embarrassed about it, you're just giving them a reason. This is all absolutely stereotypical bullshit. I was a very well-liked person at my high school, I've had plenty of friends and girlfriends, all of whom know I play. I work as a model at a Hollister in my mall, I'm not a fat basement dwelling nerd virgin who eats Frito Lay chips all day. I play this game almost exclusively in my free time between work, classes, and the gym. I'm also not some scrub casual, I've gotten to #1 on the BG9 3v3 ladder. Maybe people don't think you're a loser because you play WoW, but because you're actually a loser.

Deleted
    No. But it is not something I bring up on a first date.

10+ Year Old Account
    IM PROUD TO PLAY WOW, PPL THAT PLAY SPORS ARE LIKE KIDS TO ME, I MEAN THEY MAY AS WELL BE PLAYING TAG. at least wow requires some thought processes
    teh 1337

Deleted
    I do get slightly embaressed I was over mates flat and they had girls there and I hadnt seen for a few weeks.
    they was having a good laugh that I was a wow nerd. Dont get why ppl shun it so much.
    And like most ppl I try to avoid talking about wow xD . but if asked ofc I say i play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everywhere, no where, over there, in the air.
    no, but i did found out there are many closet wow players i sturred up (Major football jocks, very embarrassed)

no I'm not embarrassed who the hell cares? if they think that it's nerdy that's their problem

Deleted
    Depends on the society in your country. Some would frown on it, while others wouldn't care.

Also, having a life means doing what you like without having any regrets. Anyone claiming having a life means having a gf/wife,kids,steady job,sports etc, is full of shit. Having a life has a different meaning for every person and the only way you would not be having a life would be to be forced to do things you don't like, all the time.

So a guy with wife and kids who barely plays wow = Life
    A guy who does sky diving, won a Mr.Univers competition and has a girl every night = Life
    A guy spends most of his time online = Not Life
    Am I doing it right ? *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by mmoca9043c2499; 2011-02-06 at 06:31 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    i do get embarrassed sometimes ... depending on the crowd... if i had a good job and was successful then i wouldnt be embarrassed at all but as of now im still in school (way longer than i wanted to be) ... so i guess i dont want people thinking that WoW is what makes me less successful at what im trying to do with my life... so i suppose its not WoW that im embarrassed about at all

btw thanks for making me face down these realizations and ruining my superbowl sunday asshole

Deleted
    Not at all but I usually don't go around saying I play WoW, and other games all the time.

In school I was a "Anime Nerd" and drew a lot of characters in class and recess, people made fun of the ones that went overboard and played card games during lunch, I did as well but wasn't teased about it. Most people loved to see my drawings and ask about the Characters I was drawing which was my own creations. (hated sitting there and explaining all my characters and the story that goes with them, but they enjoyed it and wanted me to make comics of it)

I play Wow and don't care what people say. I have the Shaman jinx T-shirt and I wear it when I go to work when I'm off and no one really tells me anything. My friends used to play some can't anymore (jobless). If people don't like what you do with your time, then they aren't worth wasting the time on. Its your life live it like you want, only you have control of what you like, so do what makes you happy

Quote Originally Posted by Rasseim View Post
    I used to be a bit embarrassed, but then I started actually going out and playing sports, started seeing a girl, and now I don't really have any time to play anymore.

Still troll the forums though...
    That's exactly how it should be. Fantastic job, sir.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMog64 View Post
    Many many people who play wow are afraid to let the public know they play video games, especially WoW.

I am sure that was one of the big reasons why the public didn't like how the old realid system showed IRL full names instead of character names.

not at all,i'm not telling most ppl because they have the ''OMG NERD'' attitude.

people who can't use PCs make me sad