Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do people think frost is OP and isn't getting nerfed?

First of all my main is a ret pally so "inb4 stop defending your class nooby mage"...

Anyways, frost mages have tons of CC we know, thats not the point. With my 3k resil plus my aura(well it shouldn't matter if they know how to get their spell pen) a mage takes a loooooong time to kill me. Idk why their ability to CC a lot is seen as OP since they can't one shot me. I have yet to lose to a frost mage in less than a 20 second fight, they just can't do enough damage. And when a ret pally is saying this about an opponent you know its true.

And this whole business about frost mages not getting nerfed? That's bs. Ring of Frost is getting nerfed, I know not enough but it still is, I hate that skill too but deal with it. And their mastery is going to be COMPLETE trash now. Bye Bye Ice Lance spam. Yes, Ice Lance is getting 15% but ONLY when they have Fingers of Frost. Since their mastery is crap they will do way less damage to frozen targets. The buffs Ice Lance and Frostbolt got aren't buffs when you consider the absolute shit damage they will do because of their mastery getting nerfed to the ground.

So, honestly why do people think mages are so OP? I'm sorry if your views to frost mages are different than mine. If that's the case then I'm sorry you're too much of a baddie to get owned by a frost mage Ice Lance spamming you. Honestly if you died to it, you sure as hell deserve it.

TL;DR Mages aren't op, its just people are too bad to not be able to kill them. Hell, if a ret pally is saying this then you know its true.
    Last edited by Ace192; 2011-02-07 at 12:27 AM.

So, you're saying that even though they can beat you 110% of the time, even though it's like playing russian roulette on your own with all the chambers loaded, even though only a DC may grant you victory, they are not OP because they cannot kill a PALADIN in under 20 seconds? You didn't mention if you are winning, in which case if you are, as a ret paladin you accidentally dueled an arcane mage, or the guy let his 3 year old son play. If you are losing, then just because it takes 20 seconds + to lose doesn't make a difference when you lose 100% of the time, does it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ace1231337 View Post
    First of all my main is a ret pally so "inb4 stop defending your class nooby mage"...

Anyways, frost mages have tons of CC we know, thats not the point. With my 3k resil plus my aura a mage takes a loooooong time to kill me. Idk why their ability to CC a lot is seen as OP since they can't one shot me. I have yet to lose to a frost mage in less than a 20 second fight, they just can't do enough damage. And when a ret pally is saying this about an opponent you know its true.

And this whole business about frost mages not getting nerfed? That's bs. Ring of Frost is getting nerfed, I know not enough but it still is, I hate that skill too but deal with it. And their mastery is going to be COMPLETE trash now. Bye Bye Ice Lance spam. Yes, Ice Lance is getting 15% but ONLY when they have Fingers of Frost. Since their mastery is crap they will do way less damage to frozen targets. The buffs Ice Lance and Frostbolt got aren't buffs when you consider the absolute shit damage they will do because of their mastery getting nerfed to the ground.

I'm sorry if your views to frost mages are different than mine. If that's the case then I'm sorry you're too much of a baddie to get owned by a frost mage Ice Lance spamming you. Honestly if you died to it, you sure as hell deserve it.

TL;DR Mages aren't op, its just people are too bad to not be able to kill them. Hell, if a ret pally is saying this then you know its true.
    Try playing a hunter against a paladin. Will take much longer than 20 seconds, I can guarantee you that. Especially with 3K resi. Will take bloody minutes for all I know!

Edit: That is, of course, if the player controlling the Paladin actually owns a brain functioning at least half the time.
    Last edited by mmoc77a811dae9; 2011-02-07 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by Zoogii View Post
    So, you're saying that even though they can beat you 110% of the time, even though it's like playing russian roulette on your own with all the chambers loaded, even though only a DC may grant you victory, they are not OP because they cannot kill a PALADIN in under 20 seconds? You didn't mention if you are winning, in which case if you are, as a ret paladin you accidentally dueled an arcane mage, or the guy let his 3 year old son play. If you are losing, then just because it takes 20 seconds + to lose doesn't make a difference when you lose 100% of the time, does it?
    Oh really now? First of all what do you consider OP? What I consider OP is being able to kill me in no time at all, so fast I can't even bubble. I don't lose 100% of the time actually. While I can't say I have it easy against them it is doable. Besides all it takes is a good dispell on them and they're done. Considering that this game isn't balanced for 1v1 the chances of me having someone to dispell the mage are high. And I meant at least 20 seconds, I have definitely lasted more but never less, meaning they can't "omgwtfbbq pwn" me like everyone says they do.

With my 3k resil plus my aura
    Your aura (resistance I'm assuming) shouldn't matter if you're fighting a mage who knows how to gear.

Other than that, yes frost mages are definitely getting nerfed next patch. Ice lance will hit for a lot less in novas/CoC, no bloodlust in arenas, and ring of frost will be smaller. Frosbolt will hit for ~300 more if the target isn't frozen, but frostbolt hits like a wet noodle if the target isn't frozen anyway.

Oh yeah, Frostfire bolt will hit for a lot less as well, and that's probably the best frost burst right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipsed1234 View Post
    Try playing a hunter against a paladin. Will take much longer than 20 seconds, I can guarantee you that. Especially with 3K resi. Will take bloody minutes for all I know!

Edit: That is, of course, if the player controlling the Paladin actually owns a brain functioning at least half the time.
    The only reason I mention the 3k resil part is because according to everyone this happens: "OMG IM AT 3K RESIL AND A MAGE JUST LOOLOLOL ICELANCE PWNT ME WAHH NERF MAGES." I didn't mean to say that ret pallies are better than any other class, I was just trying to prove that mages aren't as OP as everyone says they are. I did make this thread to honestly ask why people think frost is OP? Their damage is certainly laughable to any player who knows what their doing.

Frostmages are fine.

No problem for me as a DK

15+ Year Old Account
    Running around spamming Ice Lance is op

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Deleted
    -very low skill cap
    -extreme cc
    -offensive and defensive cds alot
    -very good mobility
    -pets (element, mirror)

but the problem is not the theoretical weeknees if we see a perfect game at 2500+.
    the problem is in the "casual area"! to be a *ok* mage in the area to 1800 it does not need much.
    it does not take much skill to play very well and THAT is for me the reason y they are op.

if the nova would need to target a player or things like that it would be a little more difficult.
    i got a mage as well. i need 3 binds on my mousebuttons and i feel like god. its very very very easy to play.

my rogue and my shadow both need *a lot* more attention to play in pvp. but the mage could win more. i dont like that class.

Deleted
    The only reason I mention the 3k resil part is because according to everyone this happens: "OMG IM AT 3K RESIL AND A MAGE JUST LOOLOLOL ICELANCE PWNT ME WAHH NERF MAGES." I didn't mean to say that ret pallies are better than any other class, I was just trying to prove that mages aren't as OP as everyone says they are. I did make this thread to honestly ask why people think frost is OP? Their damage is certainly laughable to any player who knows what their doing.
    Well, I would actually say that it is a general buff, however. Icelance spam will be nerfed, sure, but other things should make up for that. Imo frost mages have too much control, and Ring of Frost is just ridiculous. That's the only problem I have with them right now, so I wouldn't necessarily call them "OP"

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I see it this way. The argument for making Charge/Intercept share a cooldown for arms warriors was that they were too "independant" and could "escape" cc all on their own without needing a teammate. While at the same time they don't touch the 8+ ccs of the control machine known as the frost mage, who can lock down people like it's as easy as knocking one out while watching a vulcan and a human woman have hot amazing lesbian sex.
    "The truth, my goal."

What's the difference, long time to kill, short time to kill? Sounds like you are dead either way - ???????

I had problems with frost mages before i got resi, turns out resillience did fix it. Sure i have to spam Cleanse 90% of the fight and stun is useless but once i get up close and their blink is on cd, man they die fast. I feel sorry for them =(

Quote Originally Posted by Marc123 View Post
    What's the difference, long time to kill, short time to kill? Sounds like you are dead either way - ???????
    Frost doesn't always win first of all. Second of all you're just proving a point. OP means they can take someone out no problem, meaning their damage and survivability are too hard to counter, last time I checked mages don't have this. If they can't kill someone in less than 20 seconds they aren't OP at all. Just because they can kill you, it doesn't make them OP.

When threads like these are created, all the creepy trolls suddenly lurk in and begin posting flames and other whiny nonsense. How cute. Wonder where they come from.
    Hotfish - Kil'jaeden

Sorry OP, but I have to call you on this. If you can fraps yourself beating some at least decent frost mages as a ret paladin, without having as much trouble as everyone else says, I will agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    Well, I see it this way. The argument for making Charge/Intercept share a cooldown for arms warriors was that they were too "independant" and could "escape" cc all on their own without needing a teammate. While at the same time they don't touch the 8+ ccs of the control machine known as the frost mage, who can lock down people like it's as easy as knocking one out while watching a vulcan and a human woman have hot amazing lesbian sex.
    Aaaaaand I can no longer focus on anything on topic anymore. Best mental image ever. I WILL NEVER WASH MY MIND AGAIN.

15+ Year Old Account
    this icelance spam talk... ice lance spam is not optimal damage. the only time you really spam icelance is in frostmage vs frostmage fights, vs all other enemies frostbolting is optimal dmg and frostbolt damage is unchanged as frostbolt got buffed by 15% and mastery nerfed by 15%. its still a dps nerf though but not huge.
    whats hitting frostmages the most is that the frostfire bolts will do 15% less dmg to frozen targets as mastery got nerfed.
    Last edited by Imbashiethz; 2011-02-07 at 09:46 AM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ice lance spam is total shit unless the target is frozen, so whoever said ice lance spam = win is a lil bit wrong methinks (unless ya chasing someone for ages n they not doing nowt back)... also, who actually uses frostbolt against a frozen target (i dont) when icelance does more dmg twice as quick...... OP is sort right tho, frost mages maybe OP when it comes to annoying the fekk outta peeps by freezin n sheepin n whatnot but when it comes to a dps race to kill someone then frost mages just dont have enough pewpew power compared to some other classes, ive found myself goin oom tryin to zerg the odd player down ere n there and im full bloodthirsty and some vicious geared). but its skills/gear that win ya bouts not how quick u can pewpew..

btw.. id also like to know where they get data from to decide which class is OP compared to others,, does it come from random BGs (where gear and skill varies immensely) or proper gear for gear/ skill for skill arenas n such???
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

the problem with frost mage is the same as the problem used to be with rogues. its not how fast they kill you its the fact that allot of the time you never once get to hit them back...

killing you in 2 gcd is op no doubt but killing you in 20gcd is infinitely more frustrating when you never had a chance to fight back. Saying you can win as a ret pala (admittedly gimpy right now) some of the time is pretty useless information.

Frost being ridiculously good Vs certain melee classes is nothing new...nor is ppl qq'ing about it. frost have absurd amounts of control and survivability no one can argue against that are they op? as a warrior i would love to say yes they are but on my hunter i rape them same on my rogue.

Rogues are scissors, Warriors are rock,Hunters, shamans, paladins, mages, priests, and druids are paper, Warlocks are mushrooms

Paper beats rock
    Scissors beats paper
    Scissors also happens to beat rock
    That is until rock hits level 60 and becomes an unstoppable killing machine and beats paper and would beat scissors, but it can't find scissors because scissors are invisible.

So scissors beat paper and hide from rock, and that is called balance.

This is as true today as it was when it was said 5-6years ago. the only thing that has changed is who rock paper scissors and mushroom are.