Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Hunter questions

So I'm thinking on rerolling to a Hunter, it looks fun and also gonna kick asses the next patch, and I would like to know which is actually (or for 4.0.6) the most viable talent tree for PvE.

I have searched in some websites, checked some videos, but I'm not very sure about which to choose.

Thank you

Deleted
    Depending on what encounter u are agains.From what i readed and heard encounters with lots of adds for killing will req surv spec due to the serpent spread and the lovely dmg from it.Encounter that is pure dps on 1 target that has to be burned MM should be spec.

Deleted
    Well, of course, the most important thing is rolling a spec which you actually like, instead of an overused spec which is recommended (or in some guild's cases, demanded) by some popular website.

However, as far as I know, you'll want to have a spec that focuses on single-target damage at the higher levels of Cataclysm. For this, I'd suggest taking Marksmanship spec.

Deleted
    I'm thinking on Surv, I saw a surv rotation video and the guy was doing pretty good dps but I'm not sure about it.

Anyone else can give me some advices?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronbiggum View Post
    Well as of right now you should be concerned with leveling because as most of us know BM is the only viable leveling spec. As for lvl 85, I myself am still waiting for the patch to come out to do dps checks and determine what my new pve spec is. I have a decent Ilevel of 357.8 and hopefully with the new patch I can pump out even more dps. I was a little disappointed to see SV become the new raids pec at the end of Wotlk and Cata but it looks like my favorite spec MM is going to be the better of the 2 for single target dps.
    dear god what a bunch of crap.

Ofc BMis not the only viable lvling spec dont talk bullshit.

And i am fairly sure you wont "pump" more dps if you w8 for other to tell you how to "pump" dps.

If you dont have anything usefull to say rather be quite.

To OP:

If you plan to roll a hunter cus you saw some guy toping dps on video and you saw his SV rotation then dont do it. Why? Cus SV is FOTM now but you never know with hunters. Thru wrath all 3 specs were used for rading so if you roll a hunter be ready to change your playstalye basicly from patch to patch

10+ Year Old Account
    Well as of right now you should be concerned with leveling because as most of us know BM is the only viable leveling spec. A
    Not at all. I've never found BM to be any better than other leveling specs; the only time it may shine is taking on big Elites that can't be kited. Especially with Glyph of Misdirection, all specs are great for leveling now, and pulling threat is a nonissue.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Quote Originally Posted by hunteromg View Post

And i am fairly sure you wont "pump" more dps if you w8 for other to tell you how to "pump" dps.

To OP:

If you plan to roll a hunter cus you saw some guy toping dps on video and you saw his SV rotation then dont do it. Why? Cus SV is FOTM now but you never know with hunters. Thru wrath all 3 specs were used for rading so if you roll a hunter be ready to change your playstalye basicly from patch to patch
    Bm even with the spirit beast heals and buff does not come close to lvling with MM. Frostheims scatterd shots post on Wowinsider clearly makes the case for MM at the laters lvls mainly 80-85. The self heal and focus regen is unparalleled. Chimera/Arcane /arcane dead full focus.

The early lvls im my opinion you cant beat the agi buff from surv with explosive shot dmg. The BM intimidation does help some but to me you rape mobs with survival and boa gear.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well as of right now you should be concerned with leveling because as most of us know BM is the only viable leveling spec. As for lvl 85, I myself am still waiting for the patch to come out to do dps checks and determine what my new pve spec is. I have a decent Ilevel of 357.8 and hopefully with the new patch I can pump out even more dps. I was a little disappointed to see SV become the new raids pec at the end of Wotlk and Cata but it looks like my favorite spec MM is going to be the better of the 2 for single target dps.
    You sir are what the majority of the wow community refers to as "a bad"

personally i've always found BM to be a load of rubbish. The only time i ever enjoyed playing it was in 2.0 before they nerfed it into the ground and that was only because BW was a 50% buff which was basically a guaranteed kill or 5

@OP: If you are thinking of rerolling a hunter, be prepared for the roller coaster. Even after 6 years, Blizz still finds it hard to balance us properly. As a hunter, you'll need to roll with the punches and have to adapt to the constantly changing class. Currently on live, SV is the highest pve dps, but as of 4.0.6 MM should pull ahead by a margin of about 5% on single target single SV is getting 15% damage nerfs on 2 of our abilities and MM is getting basically a 50% buff on 2 abilities.

My advice as far as spec goes, MM 10-81, SV 81-85 - simply because cobra shot is more forgiving for gear and hits very hard. If you want to level as lazily as possible, then take BM, but imo, don't expect it to be quick
    If your only question is what is the destination, you need to think more about the journey.

Deleted
    Pretty much exactly what Kalhen said on every point.

BM is a relatively slow and faceroll way to level up (unless you always quest in a group or pvp exclusively in which case any spec is viable). You will learn what it means to be a hunter and a good one at that by questing in any non-BM spec. In addition, these same specs are more viable in levelling dungeons than BM and a hell of a lot more viable in the endgame.

Only reason to use BM while levelling is for elites until Misdirection which unfortunately is like level 76 or something crazy high like that. Sub-76, BM+Tenacity pet will solo every single tank+spank group quest with elites in the game (which is all but a handful). Heck, you can solo some dungeon quests at level, if you have the time, with BM.

I don't think there are any 80 to 85 group quests, other than the Twilight Highlands arena one, so MM is also the better choice (especially after patch 4.0.6) due to more control and self-healing via Chimera Shot or SV for slightly more damage while regening focus and mobility via Cobra Shot/Explosive Shot.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-02-07 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunteromg View Post

To OP:

one of the worst posts i've seen lately. not only does it lack helpful info but contains spelling errors, poor grammar, and just hard to follow.

in my opinion BM is one of the better leveling specs. i agree that it is not the only one and there are those that do well with MM and SV as well. the whole point when leveling is to get through the various quests. with BM its pretty easy as you just send the pet in and pew pew. with SV and MM you do a hell of a lot more damage than your pet and will need to pay attention sometimes as you will pull agro and need to move a bit at times. my pet in BM never loses agro.

that being said, i never use it now and stick with SV and MM. the BM pet brings little to a raid situation as many are covered by other classes. and what it brings does not offset the dps loss when specced in BM.

After 4.0.6 MM appears to have overtaken SV for single target fights. SV on the PTR for me has lost about 1.5k dps while MM on PTR is about a 300-400 DPS gain over SV on live. This is with a 357 avg item level and full raid buffs/debuffs. I can't speak for every case of gear set ups. I'm still not entirely sure why they would nerf SV's single target dps and then buff MM to be more dps than SV was pre-nerf. I guess they really wanted MM to be top spec again.

For fights where AoE is crucial SV will still be top dog. MM and BM can't hold a candle to Serpent Spread + increased explosive trap damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lihonessa View Post
    Well, of course, the most important thing is rolling a spec which you actually like, instead of an overused spec which is recommended (or in some guild's cases, demanded) by some popular website.

However, as far as I know, you'll want to have a spec that focuses on single-target damage at the higher levels of Cataclysm. For this, I'd suggest taking Marksmanship spec.
    Currently survival is top dog. We'll have to see how numbers balance out after the patch.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wowplayer View Post
    one of the worst posts i've seen lately. not only does it lack helpful info but contains spelling errors, poor grammar, and just hard to follow.

in my opinion BM is one of the better leveling specs. i agree that it is not the only one and there are those that do well with MM and SV as well. the whole point when leveling is to get through the various quests. with BM its pretty easy as you just send the pet in and pew pew. with SV and MM you do a hell of a lot more damage than your pet and will need to pay attention sometimes as you will pull agro and need to move a bit at times. my pet in BM never loses agro.

that being said, i never use it now and stick with SV and MM. the BM pet brings little to a raid situation as many are covered by other classes. and what it brings does not offset the dps loss when specced in BM.
    With the way pets are now, BM is pretty much worthless for leveling. Just go SV or MM and everything will die before you can pull off of your pet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

Hello there.
    I think you shall roll the hunter

I myself is leveling one as we speak beucase im in que and doing homework (and on mmo.. :b). Well, someone below mentioned that BM is the only viable leveling spec - this is not true! Survival got PLENTY of CC for leveling I usually pull plenty of mobs (3-4) just to Freeze one and sleep another one, damage the one with my pet and kite the last one, meanwhile zig zaggang around the other mobs.

In dungeons you will do (yes, face it ^^) easy mode top dps because of some Survival Talents and the fact you dps just by standing there + your pet doing damage too.

I have a "blast" haveing BM as offspec because of the beutiful pets. I just tamed a Beetle which requires a quest to make it spawn and a Core Hound which Glows green and leaves a yellow track! Woooew! Ive tried some BM leveling, but I always go back to Surv because if its burst damage, actually I think it is easier to level as Surv than BM, but that is definetly because I didnt level as it much.

- Leave other questiong regarding level if you want Im level 71:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=Schep

Deleted
    Thank you all for your information, I really appreciate it

I think I'll go for SV, as I'm going to focus on it when I hit the level cap, and maybe change to MM after testing it.

The differences between the 3 specs is near negligible from what I've read / heard / read.

I will be staying SV, because all my gear and stats are geared toward SV. Plus SV is the most fun for me. I like LnL.

MM For single target, SV also has great single target, its only a 200-300 difference iirc. In a perfect world on a perfect fight I also read that MM > BM > SV.

But by such a small difference it really won't matter, and you may play the spec of your choosing.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    The differences between the 3 specs is near negligible from what I've read / heard / read.

I will be staying SV, because all my gear and stats are geared toward SV. Plus SV is the most fun for me. I like LnL.

MM For single target, SV also has great single target, its only a 200-300 difference iirc. In a perfect world on a perfect fight I also read that MM > BM > SV.

But by such a small difference it really won't matter, and you may play the spec of your choosing.
    The difference changes depending on your gear level, i hear some people are getting up to 1000~ dps difference on femaledwarf in favor of MM
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    The difference changes depending on your gear level, i hear some people are getting up to 1000~ dps difference on femaledwarf in favor of MM
    anyone else think MM is boring? i will be switching tomorrow to check out the results but i recall that the rotation/priority was just boring.

Deleted
    Also, these theoretical simulations will almost certainly fail to take into account issues caused by differences in playstyles. For example, high mobility fights will favor SV compared to MM.

BM, with its high dependence on pet damage, will suffer from pet movement and pet uptime against its targets, including whenever it is necessary to dismiss a pet or it just dies. This is the primary reason that most experienced hunters hate the thought of BM ever exceeding the other specs again. It is a very raid unfriendly playstyle.

Deleted
    So much crap(pure bullshit) talk about BM. You can pick what ever spec you like when you leveling up. BM is more about your pet while MM and SV is more about the hunter in a different way so it is pretty much what you prefer. Dont be afraid you cant go wrong what ever spec you choice for leveling.

In the old days it was not like that but lot of things have change so there is no clear leveling spec anymore yes before BM was the only leveling spec but not any more.

While leveling I messed around with all 3. I thought that BM was going to be the only way to go once I hit 70 or so and I wasn't pretty much one shotting mobs with explosive shot. I was totally wrong. Once you get misdirect with the misdirect glyph, you will have no issues at all with threat as any spec. I found that, for me, survival was by far the fastest, easiest, and most fun to level as. I would sometimes go BM for elite mobs or something, but I went Survival almost all the way from 10-85 and it was super easy.