Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Ret] Mastery in 4.0.6

Good morning, fellow paladins!

The new ret mastery sounds good. But is it actually good? I've been surfing the forums on here and elitist jerks, and while i read a small bit on it here and there, I was wondering if anyone knows (or has a link to) new statweights. Where does mastery fit in? Do we still want to reforge away from it? Is it good enough to gear for?

If you have anything you can share, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery will be your new best stat, It scales with Inquisition and it makes all your attacks hit harder so reforge and gear for it

Quote Originally Posted by Veladril View Post
    Mastery will be your new best stat, It scales with Inquisition and it makes all your attacks hit harder so reforge and gear for it
    Thanks! Short, sweet, to the point. As far as gems go, just straight strength still and str/mastery for yellow sockets?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    You must not have looked very hard. =P

Strength 232
    Hit rating 175
    Exp rating 134
    Crit rating 94
    Haste rating 67
    Mastery rating 99

There are a ton of threads on this forum where stat weights are mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Veladril View Post
    Best secondary stat. These numbers are pre-cap for hit and exp:

Strength 232
    Hit rating 175
    Exp rating 134
    Mastery rating 99
    Crit rating 94
    Haste rating 67

Very different from live. Our holy power generation is way down since the only way we generate it is through Crusader Strike now - that means less overall Templar's Verdicts, virtually no Word of Glory - my personal opinion at least. They took a barely living mish-mash amalgam and destroyed it even further; again, this is my personal opinion.

Edit: beaten to the numbers. Sorry!

Edit2: Only gem str/mastery when appropriate, I.E. 20 str bonus/40 rating bonus.

reforge haste to mastery = win

Quote Originally Posted by SneakySneaky View Post
    reforge haste to mastery = win
    Avoid haste pieces, reforge hit/xp to mastery = more win
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedakai View Post

Strength 232
    Hit rating 175
    Exp rating 134
    Mastery rating 99
    Crit rating 94
    Haste rating 67

Very different from live. Our holy power generation is way down since the only way we generate it is through Crusader Strike now - that means less overall Templar's Verdicts, virtually no Word of Glory - my personal opinion at least. They took a barely living mish-mash amalgam and destroyed it even further; again, this is my personal opinion.

Edit2: Only gem str/mastery when appropriate, I.E. 20 str bonus/40 rating bonus.

How is holy power generation so low for you?

Crusader strike gets on every time, but now instead of a 40% change from Divine Purpose to gain one more, we get a 15% to gain a hand of light for a 3 holy power move. That seems like a buff to me in holy power generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedakai View Post

Strength 232
    Hit rating 175
    Exp rating 134
    Mastery rating 99
    Crit rating 94
    Haste rating 67

Why is having a few less TVs bad if TV is so much better now? Things will light up less frequently, but the DPS boost will be huge. Sure, we're basically getting rid of old DP (since old mastery is getting moved to new DP), but old DP procs were wasted a lot of the time anyways (during Zealotry, for example).

Fewer HP for WOGs - quel triste!! The only really useful offhealing was and remains Holy Radiance.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhat View Post

Crusader strike gets on every time, but now instead of a 40% change from Divine Purpose to gain one more, we get a 15% to gain a hand of light for a 3 holy power move. That seems like a buff to me in holy power generation.
    We've always had the 3HP proc mechanic it was our mastery, now we're losing old Divine Purpose so yes it feels slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlyskilled View Post
    We've always had the 3HP proc mechanic it was our mastery, now we're losing old Divine Purpose so yes it feels slower.
    This. They nerfed holy power generation by replacing current DP with current HoL. Overall generation is down. There are more gaps in the rotation. It feels terrible compared to every other class I've ever played (other than Warlocks in low level dungeons, but that's a different thing entirely).

Annoyingly, GC got censored so we haven't even seen a blue post on any Ret issues for a long time (other than a statement that HoW damage on the PTR was a bug; I mean we haven't seen anything substantial in terms of design intent or goals). No idea what they're thinking. So annoying.

Edit: that said, we will see a DPS increase at the cost of fun gameplay and PvP survivability.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-02-08 at 06:03 AM.

wait, isnt haste better since the 7/15% for divine purpose is based on autoattacks? so theoretically more haste = more divine light (4.0.6) procs?

im asking because ive been gathering gear with mastery and/or crit/haste on them.

so in the end which is better, mastery with crit or mastery with haste?

Go to EJ, find a post by Redscape, get his spreadsheet, plug in your gear, and find out. Then do the same with Exemplar's spreadsheet.

Fact is, Haste is a very strange stat for Ret and is difficult to model. The generic weightings put haste in a very distant third, but you'll find that its value changes a lot (both up and down) as your gear changes. There are certain values where adding haste actually gives a negative return on DPS. These are limitations of the modeling methods used by any sim.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-02-08 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icey_red View Post
    wait, isnt haste better since the 7/15% for divine purpose is based on autoattacks? so theoretically more haste = more divine light (4.0.6) procs?

im asking because ive been gathering gear with mastery and/or crit/haste on them.

so in the end which is better, mastery with crit or mastery with haste?
    its not on auto attacks any more its on all the specials that the old DP procced off of

mastery with crit is better, only thing you will get out of haste is faster censure ticks lower cs cd and more art of war procs.
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhat View Post

It's a little buff if you're only taking Divine Purpose itself into account, but with Hand of Light's proc replacing Divine Purpose, it doesn't quite make up the difference. You'll see, on average, a proc every 13-14 seconds.

So basically, according to what I can gather from here, and multiple other ret paladin forums, there is clear changes to our stat Priorities. Obviously strength is our primary stat, however mastery seems to be the new #2?
    Currently my ret paladins gear is reforged by reducing my mastery rating into hit/exp (where needed) and haste. Pieces that do not have mastery to reduce, I usually resort to reducing crit rating.
    Now it seems however that I should restore all my gear and use haste as the first stat I look to reduce when I go to reforge. I see it as now I should reforge to hit/exp where needed, then resort to reducing my haste rating everywhere I can into more mastery? Or shall I continue to reduce crit rating into mastery and just leave haste alone where ever it may appear?
    How useful is haste after the patch and how much more advantageous (if at all) is it over mastery? How much more is mastery beneficial over haste/crit? Does this seem like a viable gearing strategy to anyone? Please reply with your thoughts...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarth View Post
    So basically, according to what I can gather from here, and multiple other ret paladin forums, there is clear changes to our stat Priorities. Obviously strength is our primary stat, however mastery seems to be the new #2?
    Currently my ret paladins gear is reforged by reducing my mastery rating into hit/exp (where needed) and haste. Pieces that do not have mastery to reduce, I usually resort to reducing crit rating.
    Now it seems however that I should restore all my gear and use haste as the first stat I look to reduce when I go to reforge. I see it as now I should reforge to hit/exp where needed, then resort to reducing my haste rating everywhere I can into more mastery? Or shall I continue to reduce crit rating into mastery and just leave haste alone where ever it may appear?
    How useful is haste after the patch and how much more advantageous (if at all) is it over mastery? How much more is mastery beneficial over haste/crit? Does this seem like a viable gearing strategy to anyone? Please reply with your thoughts...
    Someone please reply to the man lol, im asking myself all the same questions wondering what the heck i do. I dont understand what im meant to be looking at on the spread sheet also, it may aswell be in Chinese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarth View Post
    With patch 4.0.6, Mastery is becoming our best secondary stat, followed closely by Crit rating. Haste has fallen to take mastery former position becoming our new crap stat, even though it appears some players will still like to retain some amount of haste to smoothen their rotations.

That said, yes, you need to change the way you've been handling your gear. Even if you're still not decked in raiding gear and still wearing heroic blues, you should look to replacing some of those with mastery gear. I know i am. With all this fuss about haste being crap and mastery being great, i've bought the belt from Mount Hyjal exalted, got a ring with mastery from Lost City heroic, got that random epic neck with haste/mastery and replaced the helm from DM with the mastery version. That and making alchemy STR version which has 194 mastery to replace - i think - right eye of Raj or w/e its called ( its the one with 200ish hit and str proc). Obviously, this will have an impact on my caps, mainly hit, so im aiming for a mix, basing some of my gear choices on the BiS gear list Ronark posted on the EJ forums, where he suggested that part of your haste should be reforged into hit till the cap, assuming you have a 2hander with hit.

I've also - recklessly i might say, since i guess not every bonus is worth it - gemmed every yellow socket with 20str/20mastery and i plan on replacing my boot enchant - currently 50 hit rating - with the mastery version.

Yet i still havent decided 100%

Right now it seems theres mainly 2 choices:

- Stack mastery as much as you can
    - Aim for a balance between mastery and Crit

I miss the days where Rets did big burst crits. Now, it feels like our class has turned into an RNG machine. I hope the change makes us favor Crit a lot more instead of haste. I never liked haste because if your computer lagged at all, it would be useless anyways.

lv85 Protection Paladin
    lv85 Resto Shaman

Am I right in thinking that keeping mastery and crit amounts close to each other will be a larger dps increase than reforging full mastery? I'm sure I saw that somewhere.