How much do you charge for Portals?

I don't spam trade or tell anyone that I sell portals. I get tons of whispers though, because I don't raid and I play the Auction House a lot so I'm almost always in stormwind.

My rates

20g per person - You come to me
    40g per person - If I have to port to you (ie dalaran to stormwind)

I get a complaint from maybe 1 in every 10 people, but they always end up paying. I've had tips of upto 50g-100g for a portal. One person even paid 500g once.

Do you think my rates are worth it? Please think not just of the cost of the rune, but think of it this way. I am going out of my way to stop everything I am doing to make your life easier...that is a class benefit of a mage that we should always have because we're the masters of instant-travel. It's a shame one of our main class selling points was made useless in WOTLK. At least now we're back to what we once were. Thanks blizzard for not putting portals everywhere like you did in WOTLK .

You don't raid and play the auction house all day.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mmozz View Post
    You don't raid and play the auction house all day.

LOL
    Yeah, I am one of those people who come into raiding once all the content is on farm. I'd rather rub my peepee on a cheese grater than do progression raiding

as long as you say what you charge before you make the port and they are willing to pay..absolutely nothing wrong with charging that.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I played my mage I would either just ignore them or give them the wrong portal for a laugh. Like for example instead of a port to Dal I would give them stonard and you would be surprised how many people didn't check what they were clicking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to the Mage subforums.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    10g per portal on usual days. 20g during holiday events (love is in the air, brewfest...).

Usually I have a macro that I spam once in a while. I do also get a ton of whispers. I don't really charge. They usually give me a tip of 10-15g which is fine. Some don't tip at all which is fine with me as well. The runes are only what, 80 silver? It's really no problem to me if people don't tip. But onto weird tips... I got a tip of a pristine hide once, which I promptly resold on the AH for 800g. I've gotten some epic level gems as well. Hahaha, people sometimes tip the strangest things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    Finally someone uses the Second Amendment for what it was meant for: Shooting people who do stuff you don't like.

Those fees seem fair. I think you get more customers and tips if you set them this low, ppl asking 50g by default usualy don't get my money but someone asking 20 I might tip them an extra 20 if they are nice

Yeah I've tipped upward to 50-80g for some mages, who are willing to come run find me out as I'm trying to get to them in SW or whatever, so 20-40g is fine for a port, i'd happily pay that, normally I just use to ones who say free but will accept tips, but because of that entirely I tend to pay them more than mages ask on my server because you know every few people aren't gonna tip at all.

50g,take it or leave it,people pay if they are desperate.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's been a long time since I gave a port to anyone, but so long as people don't ninja invite and then ask for a port I would settle for 5g. Anything less and it's not worth the time it takes to click the portal menu and choose the correct location.

20g would be better and is wholly manageable by most players, so I wouldn't be ashamed if someone offered that. 50g seems a bit excessive, though. If I ever needed a port on an alt I would ask a guildie, and if a guildie needs a port from me I won't even consider asking for a tip.
    For the Alliance!

I dont take any fee for my portals.
    I dont spam WTS portals.
    I dont charge anything from friends.
    If i get a whisper i give portals for free, tho most tip all from 3g-50g
    If i see friends asking for portals i whisper them giving em a free portal.

People are to hung up in staying on gold cap. They lost any sence of beeing nice to others.

If i need gold i eaither go farm cloth, volatile water or fire. herbing or clearing old content.

I port for free. Even if the person is in another town different than the one I'm in.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ive played my mage since vanilla and never set up any rates for my portals, other than 18s minimum for the rune cost and a thank you...that said ive only a handfull of times gotten a tip lower than 10 golds...

I actually never use the services of mages charging +10G fee for a portal when your literaly standing next to them, its just ridiculus, how can you ask that of ppl.

P.S. Egrus and catdancing seem to get the idea fairly well...
    Last edited by goodmann; 2011-02-08 at 08:51 AM.

100g for a portal, always.

Deleted
    No fee, tips greatly appreciated.

So far ive gotten between 3 gold and 100 gold on tips. I had to travel to the 3 gold person but it was a lowlevel no heirlooms and stuff but basically i give then for free since most people pay you anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually let them tip me what they think is fair before I open the port, but if it's 5g or less I just remove them from party and facepalm them.

30g a piece. If they don't want to pay that, then they can always use the zeppelin.