I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Pure DPS raid spots?

I started playing back during TBC and leveled a druid, but took time off till the middle of WotLK (and then leveled them again to 80). I raideded, but only rarely as dps. Seemed like anytime my guild was getting a group together all the melee dps spots were already conveniently filled and when raiding PUGs really caught momentum on my server it was the same deal. If I mentioned tanking then I was pulled into the group so fast that you'd think Blizzard themselves had come down off the mountain and made it so. I did well dps-ing on my druid when I had the opportunity, regularly scoring in the top three or top five of 25-mans in LK, but in spite of this the 'tank or nothing stigma' persisted.

Cata gets released and I leveled my druid through Cata content and got him to [mostly] 346 gear. Start doing my daily heroic but by this time I was just kind of worn out playing as a druid.

So I start leveling a rogue that had been sitting at level 12 since forever so I can experience all the new content. I found myself liking it so much that I took him all the way to level cap and started the grind towards (hopefully/eventually) raiding. Feral druid and rogues are similar, but certainly not the same and I found the play style refreshing and I like their abilities to easily control mobs for whatever group I am in.

As a result, my druid has been sitting collecting dust and gets a single heroic in about once a week.

I was telling a couple IRL friends who are in the same guild as me about how much I enjoyed playing as a rogue and was pretty much told that I am better off sticking with my druid since I have a better chance to get a slot to raid as tank (or offtank should a tank go down) and that rogues spots are rare in progression raiding.

So for those who are already raiding in Cata as pure dps, do you find it hard to get a raid spot?

harder then tanks and heals obviously, but if you get above average dps and become known as a good raider it is np

Know your class and pull better dps than their current rogues, also don't be a rude person.

Rogue spots are rare, usually because good rogues are rare.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I find it quite easy to earn my raid spot as a DPS.

The trick is making sure you're recognised as a valuable asset, either through min/max'ing for top DPS or displaying good raid ethic and awareness. If you're a very middle-of-the-pack player - yeah, you're gonna have to fight for your spot.

EDIT: in almost the same situation as OP - my main is a DK I DPS with, but am also proficient at tanking so I get pulled in to do guild Heroics and whatnot. I get my spot because I'm the guild's top melee. However, I also levelled a mage alt and made sure I was well-versed in mage gearing and mechanics, and as a result the mage is also a very high DPS. Thus, the "pure DPS" alt is often called in for raids when we're melee-heavy for a night since the GM knows I'm just as worthwhile as a ranged toon.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2011-02-08 at 08:28 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)