Client side interface lag.

Hey guys, I just want to know if it's just me or if this is happening to other people.
    So anyway since 4.0.6 went live, I've been getting really bad interface lag when I'm in combat, WoW runs at like 60 fps but in combat my screen will freeze for a second every 5 seconds or so, and playing an Enhancement shaman it's fairly annoying. It seems to have just happened with this patch, I've tried disabling/enabling things in the video options and it hasn't helped. So is this just me?

Deleted
    Check your addons. A list of all your addons might prove helpful.

Do you have V-sync enabled? I know alot of people run with it off, but for me I get better fps and less latency with it enabled. Just a thought. After you enable/disable it, it's a good idea to exit then log back in as it will help process it. I run 60 fps with v-sync enabled, when I disable it I only get 25-30 and my latency doubles.

Is there a list anywhere of the major API changes in 4.0.6? Might make it easier to track down which addon is causing the problem (assuming it's actually an addon problem).

Quote Originally Posted by autodidact31 View Post
    Hey guys, I just want to know if it's just me or if this is happening to other people.
    So anyway since 4.0.6 went live, I've been getting really bad interface lag when I'm in combat, WoW runs at like 60 fps but in combat my screen will freeze for a second every 5 seconds or so, and playing an Enhancement shaman it's fairly annoying. It seems to have just happened with this patch, I've tried disabling/enabling things in the video options and it hasn't helped. So is this just me?
    This sounds very similar to the problems I was having in our raid last night after the patch. It was annoying in Tol Barad and on the trash before Argaloth and got worse later when fighting Magmaw. After taking those guys down, we went on to farm some trash in Bastion of Twilight and the game became completely unplayable. It was literally a slideshow whenever we got rushed by the patrols near the entrance. Felt like I was getting 0.5 FPS.

I even tried dropping my video settings all the way down to the lowest quality possible. Made no difference. Still just a slideshow.

This is the first time I have ever had any major performance problems in WoW (aside from Dalaran crowds back in the day, which just forced me to lower the view distance).

The thing is, it works ok when I'm out of combat, which means it's going to be a huge hassle to track down the culprit (assuming it's actually an addon problem). I already disabled a bunch of non-essential addons and updated my ATI drivers, but now I have to find a way to test it without getting my raid killed in the process.

I'll post a list of my addons tonight or in the morning just to see if anyone can spot a major culprit.
    Last edited by Urikslargda; 2011-02-09 at 08:45 PM.

Deleted
    This stuff can be caused by addons or even the cached settings off addons after a new patch.

If it only happens in combat,

0. install Action Control Panel addon
    1. login to your character and disable all addons using Action Control Panel. Type /reload.
    2. re-enable all addons which have no combat implications whatsoever. That includes auction addons but not tooltip nor inspection addons nor general addons like Altoholic. I'd also leave Power Auras or anything like that disabled initially.
    3. join a large battleground (Isle of Conquest is best). There are no consequences for issues in bgs, unlike raids/dungeons.
    4. put yourself in combat at the back of a big group zerg.
    5. then every time you are in combat, re-enable your addons one-by-one or in very small groups, /reload, and test performance.
    6. ???
    7. Profit!

One culprit could be Afflicted or any addon you know that looks for class-specific spells while in combat which may no longer exist or whose spellid has changed or something.

Also, you should make sure you don't have errors reporting disabled or something. I'm not sure if there's a Blizzard option in the interface to turn it off, but obviously in this case you want to make sure its on.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-02-09 at 07:55 PM.

Good suggestions. I'll give that a try. Yeah, Addon Control Panel definitely makes it a lot easier to test things like this.

Could have been Power Auras since I had some auras to watch for stuff like the old Blood Swarm buff that may not exist anymore.

Thanks!